Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 17:40   #3331
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Please suggest a good synthetic oil for Hyundai i10 1.2. I am planning to change to synthetic and I have done 34K KMS.
Old 24th February 2012, 18:03   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Please suggest a good synthetic oil for Hyundai i10 1.2. I am planning to change to synthetic and I have done 34K KMS.
Shell Ultra Helix, Mobil 1 are both very good oils. So take your pick.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 19:56   #3333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Shell Ultra Helix, Mobil 1 are both very good oils. So take your pick.
I would opt for Shell Ultra Helix. I can purchase this in any of the Shell petrol bunks right? I need to do this oil change at a non HASS so I need to purchase oil filter and engine flush. Could some one let me know where can I purchase oil filter for i10 and engine flush?
Old 24th February 2012, 21:46   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey buddy,

I don't think it would create any problems though this is not recommended.

500ml is roughly a 1/5th or 1/6th of the total oil capacity of your car's engine & when synthetic oils are formulated, such instances are kept in mind wherein an engine may receive some different sort of an oil in small quantities for various reasons, be it a simple top-up or the unavailability of a specific oil when it is required.

So, don't worry & carry on. Get the oil changed after 2.5K kms unless you actually find some difference in the way your car's engine is behaving. And just to ease your fears, go ahead & check the dipstick every once in a while before the upcoming oil change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Run the car for the remaining period and then change it. No need to worry and hurry.
@blackfire and honeybee

Thank you for the advice; will run the car over the next week or so and if i find no change in engine behavior, i'll wait till 2500 kms is over and then change as scheduled.
Old 25th February 2012, 11:14   #3335
BHPian

Hi, with respect to my previous post #3331, the i10 owners manual says that "for better fuel economy SAE 5W-20, 5W-30" should be used. When I checked Shell Helix Ultra, the Viscosity grade is mentioned as 5W-40. Whereas for Shell Helix Ultra Extra the Viscosity grade is mentioned as 5W-30. So which one should I opt for? is it Shell Helix Ultra or Shell Helix Ultra Extra?

On the web it is listed for Shell Helix Ultra Extra that "Emission system protection for exhaust after-treatment devices". What does "Emission system protection for exhaust after-treatment devices" mean? Is it ok if I use Shell Helix Ultra Extra?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 25th February 2012, 13:42   #3336
Senior - BHPian

If the appropriate grade according to your car manual is 5W20 or 5W30, then by all means, you can go ahead & use any 5WX spec oil. It could be 5W20, 5W30 or even 5W40. The viscosity of the base oil is the same & all the three compositions would flow the same way or have the same viscosity at lower temperatures. It is only the viscosity at higher temperatures (100 degrees) that differs & this difference is brought about by the addition of something called "VI".

By the way, is there any oil even available with viscosity grade as 5W20, I doubt. Please do post up the name & other details if you came across one. Thanks.

Quote:
Hi, with respect to my previous post #3331, the i10 owners manual says that "for better fuel economy SAE 5W-20, 5W-30" should be used. When I checked Shell Helix Ultra, the Viscosity grade is mentioned as 5W-40. Whereas for Shell Helix Ultra Extra the Viscosity grade is mentioned as 5W-30. So which one should I opt for? is it Shell Helix Ultra or Shell Helix Ultra Extra?

On the web it is listed for Shell Helix Ultra Extra that "Emission system protection for exhaust after-treatment devices". What does "Emission system protection for exhaust after-treatment devices" mean? Is it ok if I use Shell Helix Ultra Extra?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:11   #3337
Senior - BHPian

The 'Ultra Extra' oils are meant for use only in Diesel engines. If your vehicle is diesel powered go ahead.

Quote:

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by khoj : 25th February 2012 at 15:13.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 17:08   #3338
BHPian

Guys, I just brought 4L can of Shell Helix Ultra by paying 4400 Rs from one of the Shell petrol bunks near Marathahalli but could not find any workshop that is ready to do an oil change. I enquired Bosch car service near Marathahalli but the person I spoke to rudely told me that I need to purchase oil from them and they do not entertain engine oil purchased outside. The person was quoting 1800 Rs per litre for Castrol Edge and at Castrol pitt stop near total mall the same Edge price is 1000 Rs per litre.

I think the workshops are ripping off the customers. Could some one tell me where can I get oil change done for my car. I have to do a flush as well because I am changing from mineral from synthetic. Guys from Bangalore please help me out on finding a workshop to change the oil.
Old 25th February 2012, 19:36   #3339
Senior - BHPian

Since you will need a genuine oil filter too, just drive in to one of the authorized work shops for your vehicle's make and get the job done there. At the most they will make a note on the job card that will read "Oil supplied by customer". Pay the extra over a road side mechanic for a neat & clean workplace and a job carried out with proper tools and technique.

Why do you want to flush ? It is not required in your case, in-fact in any case where one is switching from mineral to synthetic or even vice versa. This has been discussed to death. So save some money and do not give that enema to your engine block.

BTW, insist and stand on the mechanic's head as he opens the new can and pours the contents.

Quote:
I think the workshops are ripping off the customers. Could some one tell me where can I get oil change done for my car. I have to do a flush as well because I am changing from mineral from synthetic. Guys from Bangalore please help me out on finding a workshop to change the oil.
Old 26th February 2012, 19:29   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could some one tell me where can I get oil change done for my car. I have to do a flush as well because I am changing from mineral from synthetic.
I think any neighbourhood mechanic can do the job for you, provided you also procure the oil filter for your car. Check out a good parts store to see if they stock the original/genuine oil filter for your car. If you can procure one, head out to a friendly neighbourhood garage and get the job done under your supervision. The experienced roadside mechanic should be competent enough to do the job.

I have paid about Rs. 80 or thereabouts for each oil change towards labour in this fashion. No complaints.

Regarding an engine flush, there is a possibility it may actually cause problems, so it's best you steer clear of it unless you are willing to get the engine overhauled in case of a problem. Since this is the first time you are going to use synthetic, try and get it changed at around 5k interval after this oil change. Henceforth if you stick to synthetics, you can extend the intervals to 10k kilometres or more.

I switched to semisynthetic for my Santro at about the 50k interval, no engine flush (discouraged by the mechanic), first oil change after using semisynthetic was at 5k-6k interval and thereafter about once in a year (10k-12k). The engine is running fine.

Last edited by honeybee : 26th February 2012 at 19:35.
Old 26th February 2012, 23:35   #3341
BHPian

Honda City SMT: for the last two years the oil was semi-synthetic during service.Inspite of asking there was no option/information. This time he asked mineral/semi-synthetic. Since my running was low, I told him to put mineral oil and if it was authorised by honda.He said honda authorises both Mineral and semi-synthetic.
What are the implication of semi-synthetic to Mineral? I myself find engine smoothness a tad less.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:38   #3342
BANNED

There should be no real problems. Only Honda recommends oil change every six months if it is not a synth. With a Synth the oil change is 10,000/12 months. If you are out of warranty then I see no real reason for the six monthly change! Honda uses oil from Savsol (i.e., Idemitsu).
Old 27th February 2012, 17:46   #3343
BHPian

Hello all,

went to get total quartz 7000 (10W40 semi-synthetic) from a Total distributor for my city ZX oil change. There are two distributors in chandigarh. One did not have stock of quartz 7000 (had 3000, 5000 and 9000). He asked me to try quartz 9000 (fully synthetic) which was for Rs 2800 with a free backpack type bag. If i needed the bag i surely would have bought it but already have some bags lying around so i didnt get it.
Went to the other distributor and he had ample stock of 3000, 5000 and even some packs of 9000 on display. Asked him for 7000 and he started thinking, asked his helper to get a pack of 7000 from the back. After 5min his helper finally brought a pack of 7000 which was in a very dirty condition like it had been buried under the ground. It was priced at Rs1300 for 4L (MRP around 1500). I had almost bought it when i realised there was no API rating (SL, SM etc) It said exceeds ACEA A3,B3 standards but no API standard was mentioned.
I have bought quartz 5000 before and it clearly says exceeds ACEA A2,B2 and API SL specifications. Got puzzled and decided not to buy it.
Anyone have a clue of why this variant (7000) of total quartz is less selling, while the others are abundantly available. And even more shockingly why it has no API rating.
There was also a Maruti Genuine Oil from Total called Total Quartz MGO 10W30 at ~ Rs 1000 and it was also readily selling in front of me.
Now am thinking of getting oil from SAVSOL who are the makers of Honda Genuine Oil (Idemitsu) in India.
Old 28th February 2012, 22:20   #3344
BHPian

My A-Star completed 20k kms last week. I switched to synthetic oil. The MASS filled Mobil 0W40 synthetic oil. I checked my manual today and the recommended oil is 5W30. Do i need to get the engine oil changed or 0W40 would do just fine?
Old 29th February 2012, 08:57   #3345
BANNED

@a*ed; It is fine. The point to watch out is that the upper point of the oil filled is not lower than the specs (it is 40 as against 30 specified). So you are in business. I myself have used Mobil1 0W40 in my Civic against the 0/5W30 specified.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks