Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 13:00   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the same message across multiple threads on the forum. Such practices are categorised as SPAM. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2012 at 11:09.
blackfire_9 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th February 2012, 17:45   #3347

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Last week on the 19th to be exact, the Blue Streak was put through its 3rd service at 9800 odd kilometers. The engine oil was changed and this time I lovingly had her fed with 4 full liters of MOTUL 8100 Xcess pure Synthetic oil recommended by Mitsubishi Motor Corporation. Currently at 10200 odd kilometers the oil change is beginning to show its true effects. The engine has become butter smooth. I am able to attain better speeds at lower RPMs and the engine response at start off has undergone a dramatic change. A couple of times, I almost hit the vehicles ahead due to the now amazing pick up in first and second gears. The manner in which she leaps forward at the slightest of pedal input is very addictive and corrupting. I have been listening non stop to Jagjit Singh's soothing melodies in an attempt to keep my impulses under control. I only wish that I had changed to Motul Synthetic at the first service itself.

Lovely oil this 8100, as the ad says "I'M Lovin It"!!
Khoj, did you experience a dip in running average after you moved to synthetic and does it improve after that? I moved to Motul 8100 excess in my Cedia at 7000 kms / second service. I have completed around 600-700 kms and notice a drop in running average, by around 2 kms per litre. Tire pressure is fine, just wondering what the issue might be.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:16   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshnayadi View Post
Khoj, did you experience a dip in running average after you moved to synthetic and does it improve after that? I moved to Motul 8100 excess in my Cedia at 7000 kms / second service. I have completed around 600-700 kms and notice a drop in running average, by around 2 kms per litre. Tire pressure is fine, just wondering what the issue might be.
I believe by running average you mean Fuel Efficiency. I changed to Motul 8100 excess at 65k kms and thereafter changed to Castrol Edge at 75k kms. I did not experience any dip in the FE. I believe so is the case with Khoj Sir too. I changed to Castrol Edge for 2 reasons. First, you can get 4L pack within 2500-2800 from outside (depends on where you buy it from), which is 50% of Motul 5 L pack which costs 5.2k. Second because the Motul synthetic oil that ASC stored was over 2 years old, now over 3 years old.

Get the car checked, there should be no reason why the FE dropped after switching to synthetic.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st March 2012 at 14:17.
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:12   #3349
Senior - BHPian

I have not experienced any difference in the FE post the switch to 8100 Xcess. In city figure is 10+ kmpl and 12+ on the highway with 100% AC. What are the figures in your vehicle's case? If they are any worse than what I have posted you would be none the worse for taking Gaurav's advice on having the car checked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshnayadi View Post
Just realized that you have quoted a very old post of mine, infact it's from JAN'11. What did you do ? sit up and read the thread from post one to last!

Last edited by khoj : 2nd March 2012 at 01:20.
Old 12th March 2012, 11:41   #3350
BHPian

I've had a slight increase in FE after switching to Mobil 1 (I drive a 2007 Alto Lxi). Details may be seen here
Old 12th March 2012, 11:47   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj
I've had a slight increase in FE after switching to Mobil 1 (I drive a 2007 Alto Lxi).
Haven't checked my FE yet. But, after switching to Mobil 1, i've noticed a drastic improvement in the performance of my A-Star. The engine revs very well and is very smooth at high speeds.
Old 15th March 2012, 20:24   #3352
BHPian

Mumbai bhpians i have located a shell dealer at opera house. Got shell helix ultra for rs.750/- per litre.Those bhpians like me staying in the suburbs can also get it delivered at home. pm me for the details. Request to the Mods , kindly delete the post if already posted. I already have two infractions.
Old 16th March 2012, 21:00   #3353
mxx
BHPian

Which semi-synthetic oil to use for innova diesel? What is approximate cost per litre?
Old 16th March 2012, 22:32   #3354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
Which semi-synthetic oil to use for innova diesel? What is approximate cost per litre?
What's the feedback from the forum regarding Shell Helix HX6 Diesel semi-synth? And any idea about price per litre?
Old 16th March 2012, 23:21   #3355
Senior - BHPian

Try out the Gulf Max TD 15W40. It's one of the best oils I have come across & it looks even sweeter because it comes in the cheapest at about 900 INR for a 4-litre can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 00:36   #3356
BHPian

HI friends,
MY experience on shell helix HX6 semisynthetic.
my car is a alto 2008 model done 52000 kms .recently i bought the oil 3 one liter cans .
very good response ,very smooth engine ,less noise its better than the castrol magnatec .previously i was using HX5 15w -40.this oil was also very good.i wanted to try HX6 this time .
I have been following this thread even before my membership got approved thanks everyone.
My special thanks to MR Gansan.
Old 17th March 2012, 12:08   #3357
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Try out the Gulf Max TD 15W40. It's one of the best oils I have come across & it looks even sweeter because it comes in the cheapest at about 900 INR for a 4-litre can.
Thanks for quick reply. I am not very much concerned about the cost(because semi synthetic will be considerably cheaper than synthetic anyway)- the only reason I asked was because I am not aware of the price in general. My concern is about quality and its effect on engine - the very reason I am planning to use semi synthetic oil. So, is quality of Gulf Max comparable to other popular brands like Shell or Mobil? Have you used this personally?
Old 17th March 2012, 12:33   #3358
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine has been using it regularly after he converted from Mobil Delvac MX last year. I have personally driven his car a number of times & have observed that the engine feels better than it does with Delvac MX.

It was only on the basis of this observation & experience, that I suggested this oil to another Bhpian 'Gt500' & he has reported good results on his Swift D as well.

Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Thanks for quick reply. I am not very much concerned about the cost(because semi synthetic will be considerably cheaper than synthetic anyway)- the only reason I asked was because I am not aware of the price in general. My concern is about quality and its effect on engine - the very reason I am planning to use semi synthetic oil. So, is quality of Gulf Max comparable to other popular brands like Shell or Mobil? Have you used this personally?
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 14:14   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
+1
I'm using this oil too in my Swift D for last 15000 KM. Very good oil for the price. I change the oil at 7500 - 8000 KM instead of 10000KM suggested by Maruti since the oil is cheap and I drive a lot in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 18th March 2012, 00:00   #3360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
HI friends,
MY experience on shell helix HX6 semisynthetic.
my car is a alto 2008 model done 52000 kms
really? i thought HX6 is for diesel. Are you sure you used HX6 or did you mean HX7?

Most Viewed