Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 12:28   #3436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Was thinking of changing engine oil in my car from outside authorized service centre (Shell petrol bunk). What should be the better way to get oil filter changed, should I get it changed before oil change or after change since filter change will be done in service centre along with routine service.
Old 15th May 2012, 12:51   #3437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Was thinking of changing engine oil in my car from outside authorized service centre (Shell petrol bunk). What should be the better way to get oil filter changed, should I get it changed before oil change or after change since filter change will be done in service centre along with routine service.
What do you mean by 'outside authorized service centre...'? IFAIK Shell is not authorised by any car manufacturer to maintain cars. Also, you say the service is not yet due, so why change the oil before the service interval?

Engine oil and filter should be changed at the same time as far as possible. Pouring fresh engine oil into the sump without changing the filter is not recommended as the filter contains upto 300 ml of old oil. May not sound like much but for a car with a 3 to 3.5 litre sump it translates to 8-10% of the total capacity. Also, once you change the filter separately the level will drop and you will need to top it off again.

I would suggest you take a can of oil to the authorised service centre, when the service is due, and have them replace the oil and filter at the same time. Alternatively, buy an OEM oil filter from the authorised service centre and take it to the Shell petrol station when you want to change the oil.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th May 2012 at 12:53.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 13:57   #3438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What do you mean by 'outside authorized service centre...'? Also, you say the service is not yet due, so why change the oil before the service interval?
I would suggest you take a can of oil to the authorised service centre, when the service is due, and have them replace the oil and filter at the same time.
Guess my previous post was bit confusing. What I meant was, I was planning of getting oil changed from shell bunk, which is what I was meaning as 'Outside autorized service centre'.
Service is due for my car in a week or so. Will buy oil and take it along while giving car for service, since if as you were saying there will be oil left along with filter will nullify in part the all process of doing this excercise.
Old 15th May 2012, 20:07   #3439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Guess my previous post was bit confusing. What I meant was, I was planning of getting oil changed from shell bunk, which is what I was meaning as 'Outside autorized service centre'.
Service is due for my car in a week or so. Will buy oil and take it along while giving car for service, since if as you were saying there will be oil left along with filter will nullify in part the all process of doing this excercise.
Just keep in mind that engine oils are for a specific application and a particular temp range. I have stuck to 1 brand of oil for nearly 3 years i.e. Shell Helix Ultra synthetic after the mandatory change of mineral post the 1K kms running in (OEM oil used). SHU works great in my car. Planning to try Shell HU Extra - 5w-30 if I can get my hands on it. But that is ONLY because my car's mfr recommends SAE 5w-30 oil nowadays.

Cheers!
Old 16th May 2012, 08:54   #3440
BANNED

@Crazy4.Cars; This price ratio is quite normal. I remember when I had by Carb Esteem, the Maruti price of the air filter was 1300+ while the Purolator was about 440. You know what I bought!
Old 26th May 2012, 21:29   #3441
BHPian

Trust Engine OIL purchase shop

Dear People,

I am planning to shift from Normal oil to Synthetic oil in my car. The key concern is i don't know reliable shop in Gurgaon why sells Genuine syntethic oil.

Would sincerly appreciate if members could let me know a reliable shop and mechanic in Gurgaon (Near Palam Vihar).

Thanks

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 26th May 2012 at 21:33.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:13   #3442
Senior - BHPian

^^ What car do you have? Most car A.S.S.setups stock synthetic oil and you can do the oil change there, if you doubt the quality outside. They do charge MRP, but you will have peace of mind.
Old 27th May 2012, 13:45   #3443
BHPian

Re: Trust Engine OIL purchase shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Dear People,

I am planning to shift from Normal oil to Synthetic oil in my car. The key concern is i don't know reliable shop in Gurgaon why sells Genuine syntethic oil.

Would sincerly appreciate if members could let me know a reliable shop and mechanic in Gurgaon (Near Palam Vihar).

Thanks

Amit
It is best if you first decide which oil you would like to go for, and then contact the representative of that brand in your area. They will supply you proper genuine stuff, and also at a discounted rate. At least this has been my experience.

I wanted Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, and contacted Shell, who gave me the contact of their representative in my area. He sold me the 4L can from his godown, at 3100/- as opposed to the MRP 4400/- that most shops and A.S.S. were selling at. Not to mention that it was a 1 month old stock, as compared to the 4-5 month old stocks I spotted at the other shops.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 27th May 2012 at 13:49.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:27   #3444
Senior - BHPian

I agree that you can get the genuine stuff by contacting the company dealers/distributors but I have always observed that the pricing offered is usually more than what I get in the open market. The most recent example is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 that's available for 2.3K INR while the same oil is available for about 3.3K from a distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
It is best if you first decide which oil you would like to go for, and then contact the representative of that brand in your area. They will supply you proper genuine stuff, and also at a discounted rate. At least this has been my experience.

I wanted Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, and contacted Shell, who gave me the contact of their representative in my area. He sold me the 4L can from his godown, at 3100/- as opposed to the MRP 4400/- that most shops and A.S.S. were selling at. Not to mention that it was a 1 month old stock, as compared to the 4-5 month old stocks I spotted at the other shops.
@ALL: Can anyone throw any light on your experiences between Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 & Castrol Edge 5W40? I would really appreciate if someone could share the links for the datasheets for these oils (most recent) since the internet searches are usually coming up with older versions.
Old 27th May 2012, 15:43   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I agree that you can get the genuine stuff by contacting the company dealers/distributors but I have always observed that the pricing offered is usually more than what I get in the open market. The most recent example is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 that's available for 2.3K INR while the same oil is available for about 3.3K from a distributor.
That's excellent. However, I scourged all over town for a shop that would sell the oil for a lesser rate. They either didn't have it or quoted nothing less than 4k for the same. MASS also quoted something similar. Hence I had no option but to go for the distributor.
Old 27th May 2012, 21:03   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

Thanks Buddy for the advice, i am planning to Mobil 1 or Shell Helix. Some what more inclined more inclined towards Mobil 1 more.

Would appreciate if you could let me which is better.

Thanks

Amit
Old 27th May 2012, 23:47   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
The most recent example is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 that's available for 2.3K INR while the same oil is available for about 3.3K from a distributor.
for benefit of everyone, could you please post the address/contact where Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is available for 2300? lowest I have come across and bought so far in last one year is 2800 for a can of four litre.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:18   #3448
Senior - BHPian

It's available at Pallika Bhavan, Delhi. Most shops in that area are selling this oil at that price, give or take a hundred bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
for benefit of everyone, could you please post the address/contact where Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is available for 2300? lowest I have come across and bought so far in last one year is 2800 for a can of four litre.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 15:51   #3449

Guys - What is the current(best) price of Mobil1 Fully Synthetic 5w-50 in Bangalore and the place where it is available. Appreciate your help!
Old 28th May 2012, 19:39   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Thanks Buddy for the advice, i am planning to Mobil 1 or Shell Helix. Some what more inclined more inclined towards Mobil 1 more.

Would appreciate if you could let me which is better.

Thanks

Amit
Well this is the first time I am using synthetic oil, and hence have no experience of using Mobil1. I went for Shell after reading some good responses on this thread as well as recommendation from a few friends and colleagues. I have not driven the car much after the oil change as well, so I think for me it is too early to conclude anything. Although, the few things that I have noticed in the last few days are:

The car is quieter
Idling is much better

Apart from this, I think I will have to wait for sometime longer to really tell the difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks