Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 11:32   #3736
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
I finally got the Mobil XHP Super 10W40 Mineral Oil 4 litre can today for my Alto Lxi.
How much did it cost Arvind?
Old 1st April 2013, 12:18   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
How much did it cost Arvind?
Hi Blacktop,

I paid Rs.1300 for the four litre can. The MRP was around Rs.1550. I ordered it through Sandeep Oil Agencies near my area and had to wait for a week as they didnt have stock and placed an order to get me one.
Arvind6488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 12:40   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Blacktop,

I paid Rs.1300 for the four litre can. The MRP was around Rs.1550
Do post a feedback in about a couple thousand kms. An oil change(whether synth or mineral) makes the engine feel very refined initially. Btw 10W40 is perfect for your city's weather conditions.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:09   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
Do post a feedback in about a couple thousand kms. An oil change(whether synth or mineral) makes the engine feel very refined initially. Btw 10W40 is perfect for your city's weather conditions.
Sure Blacktop. Lately my car's performance during the day time has become very lull. It at times irritates me by not responding to my Rev's. I am hoping it to be back in shape and form in performance post the service and oil change. Will update the thread once it is done.
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:12   #3740
BHPian

Guys,

It's time for an Oil change in my 2007 petrol Swift (Odo at around 50k), and since I plan to do a DIY, had some queries -

1) I am currently running Mobil1 0W40 for the past 10K kms or so. If I go for an Oil change with a different viscosity index ( 5W40/5W50 ) will I need to use an Engine flush to drain out the old oil before putting in the new one ?

2) Has anyone heard of Top1 Oil? I found a place that sells this. Fully Synthetic. Rs. 4700/- for 4 Litres. Apparently this is a US based company which provides the lubes for motorsports as well. Any reviews?

3) I have the following fully-synth Oils in mind as of now -

Shell 5W40
Mobil1 0W40 - Rs. 4900/-
Mobil1 5W50

and in case I hear good things about Top1, that joins the fray as well.

I only have a quote for Mobil 0W40, but am thinking about trying out Shell this time. Can anyone guide me as to how much should I be paying for 4 Lts. of the rest of the Oils?

BTW Top1 has Oils for Diesels as well. Have a look at the brand - http://www.top1oil.com/USA/behind-our-brand.htm

Regards,
SuperBee
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:04   #3741
BHPian

Guys,

My Hyundai i20 nears its 2nd month Service (1200-1500kms).
My question is shall I ask the Service Person to replace the Engine Oil (used in the run-in period)? The Service Manual does not say to replace Engine Oil and I hope the same reply from them.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:44   #3742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Guys,
I have the following fully-synth Oils in mind as of now -

Shell 5W40
Mobil1 0W40 - Rs. 4900/-
Mobil1 5W50
and in case I hear good things about Top1, that joins the fray as well.

am thinking about trying out Shell this time.
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 has an MRP of Rs 4400. You can get it for Rs.3500 from some distributors if you bargain.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:54   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Sure Blacktop. Lately my car's performance during the day time has become very lull. It at times irritates me by not responding to my Rev's.
Specifically during the day? I know cars accelerate better at night due to cold temperatures. Probably your air filter needs a change along with the engine oil..
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:16   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Err it will respond only to the engine's revving

Quote:
It at times irritates me by not responding to my Rev's.

On a more serious note can anyone point me in the direction of Motul dealer in Dilli. Tried Palika bhavan etc but no luck. Need 3L of Xcess 8100 ASAP.
Old 11th May 2013, 11:41   #3745
BHPian

Bought a 3l can of shell HX5 AZ 5W30 for the 1st oil change which is the recommended oil for alto k10. I was told by the service advisor that the factory fill is mobil1 0w40, was just wondering if this is a downgrade.

Didnt think it made sense to splurge on a synthetic since i have done about 8.5k in 11 months and felt that the HX5 (which I guess is a semi synthetic) should do the job just fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 11th May 2013, 12:17   #3746
BANNED

Here anyone had any expereince with Motul HTech Prime 5W40 synthetic oil?

I filled it in my Swift K12 for its third service, and the engine became very sluggish! It was surprising. It cost me Rs2800/- for 3 liters (in 1 liter cans). The condition didn't improve even after couple of long drives and so i drained the oil and since i didn't want to spend on another synthetic so soon again i got the engine filled with regular mineral oil (AC Delco) and all was back to normal, it wasn't sluggish anymore.

I'm not the only one with this problem with this particular oil. A friend put Motul HTech Prime 5W40 in his 2007 Esteem with the car showing same sluggishness. He's still running on this oil and hasn't changed it yet.

Motul makes good oils but what could be the reason here?

With Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Mobil 1 0W40 that we have used between us we never had a sluggish engine or anything to complain about.
Old 11th May 2013, 14:58   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Sankar, I am not very sure whether this particular oil is sold by Motul India locally. You may want to check here http://www.motul.com/in/en/products?&page=1 Maybe the SN rated oil was a little too much for the Swift's engine but then the K12 is a new technology engine, it seems to be a case of spurious oil.

SN rated synthetic oil from Motul i.e. the 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is poured by the Mitsubishi A.S.C. in both diesel as well as petrol engines as the factory recommended oil, my vehicle too runs on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Old 12th May 2013, 00:05   #3748
BHPian

I just purchased Mobil 1 racing 4T 10W40 fully synthetic oil for my CBZ xtreme but the thing is not showing up in Mobil 1 India website. I don't know whether Mobil has stopped manufacturing the above said oil. I bought it from Kaikkara autos, Trivandrum and the label states that its been imported from Singapore. This is the link to the pics of the oil I have posted http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-4t-oil-6.html
Old 12th May 2013, 20:38   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Bought a 3l can of shell HX5 AZ 5W30 for the 1st oil change which is the recommended oil for alto k10. I was told by the service advisor that the factory fill is mobil1 0w40, was just wondering if this is a downgrade.

Didnt think it made sense to splurge on a synthetic since i have done about 8.5k in 11 months and felt that the HX5 (which I guess is a semi synthetic) should do the job just fine.

Any thoughts?
Hey buddy, I don't think that Maruti puts Mobil 1 0W40 into their K10 engines from factory. I think its a normal 5W30 semi-synthetic that they use & you could as well do alright with such an oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

I filled it in my Swift K12 for its third service, and the engine became very sluggish! It was surprising. It cost me Rs2800/- for 3 liters (in 1 liter cans). The condition didn't improve even after couple of long drives and so i drained the oil and since i didn't want to spend on another synthetic so soon again i got the engine filled with regular mineral oil (AC Delco) and all was back to normal, it wasn't sluggish anymore.

I'm not the only one with this problem with this particular oil. A friend put Motul HTech Prime 5W40 in his 2007 Esteem with the car showing same sluggishness. He's still running on this oil and hasn't changed it yet.

Motul makes good oils but what could be the reason here?

With Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Mobil 1 0W40 that we have used between us we never had a sluggish engine or anything to complain about.
Hey Sankar,

It could be a case of spurious oil since this oil isn't supposedly available in India. In terms of a car oil with viscosity rating of 5W40, the best bet from Motul is X-cess on the Indian website.

Secondly, a look at the spec-sheets & there are slight differences between the viscosities of the 3 oils mentioned in your post, namely H-Tech, Helix Ultra & Mobil 1.
I believe that the slightly higher viscosity of H-Tech as compared to the other two oils is to blame here, since my personal experience with engines recommending 5W30 oils is that they work best with thin/light oils.
As for your friend's Esteem, is the sluggishness in his car also in terms of a comparison being drawn with Helix Ultra & Mobil 1? If yes, then the same reasoning could apply there.
Old 12th May 2013, 21:13   #3750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Sankar, I am not very sure whether this particular oil is sold by Motul India locally. You may want to check here http://www.motul.com/in/en/products?&page=1 Maybe the SN rated oil was a little too much for the Swift's engine but then the K12 is a new technology engine, it seems to be a case of spurious oil.

SN rated synthetic oil from Motul i.e. the 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is poured by the Mitsubishi A.S.C. in both diesel as well as petrol engines as the factory recommended oil, my vehicle too runs on the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey Sankar,

It could be a case of spurious oil since this oil isn't supposedly available in India. In terms of a car oil with viscosity rating of 5W40, the best bet from Motul is X-cess on the Indian website.

Secondly, a look at the spec-sheets & there are slight differences between the viscosities of the 3 oils mentioned in your post, namely H-Tech, Helix Ultra & Mobil 1.
I believe that the slightly higher viscosity of H-Tech as compared to the other two oils is to blame here, since my personal experience with engines recommending 5W30 oils is that they work best with thin/light oils.
As for your friend's Esteem, is the sluggishness in his car also in terms of a comparison being drawn with Helix Ultra & Mobil 1? If yes, then the same reasoning could apply there.
Hi Guys, i bought this oil from a well reputed oil shop in Tvm, i have bought other mineral and synthetic oils from them in the past and have had no complaints. This shop is frequented by other bhpians too and have not heard anything bad about the shop from them either. I don't think they sell spurious oils and moreover Motul isn't a fast moving brand like castrol and may not be a favourite of the fake industry.

This oil isn't listed in the India website, i wonder why, but the label shows that its imported and sold through the proper channel. Pics:
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20130415_115659.jpg
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20130415_115626.jpg
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20130415_115647.jpg

Blackfire, Yes the sluggishness in the Esteem is being compared with Mobil1 which got replaced with Motul. Before Mobil1 the Esteem was running on Helix Ultra. The viscosity part you have mentioned is also correct, comparing the data sheet of Mobil1 0W40 and HTech Prime 5W40 the latter is slightly more viscous but only marginally. I didn't get the spec sheet of Helix Ultra.

Most Viewed