Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 11:34   #3856
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Synthetic oil only give you superior lubrication. It does not extend oil change intervals.
When originally launched for cars they did claim longer life (distance only). Oil sitting in the sump degrades, if fact this will be worse fro mostly local driving scenarios. When you go on a long run the oil gets hot and a lot of nasty stuff gets removed.
Old 31st October 2013, 14:56   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Are you changing oil every 7.5-8.5k kms with Delvac 1? I presumed Delvac 1 can sustain for 15k kms if selenia could.
Yes it can easily sustain 15K,in fact even 20K,but as i wrote overkill,i have a habit of changing oil at 7.5K-8.5K interval,and i always prefer synthetic oils
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

Synthetic oil only give you superior lubrication. It does not extend oil change intervals.
Yes they offer better lubrication,but they also retain the lubrication properties over a longer period of time,hence extended intervals

PS:Fiat recommends a 15K interval for a Semi Synthetic oil,so Delvac1 will easily last for 15K kms.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:27   #3858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What engine are we talking of here?
If its the 1.3 Multijet/DDIS.
Ertiga has 1.3 DDIS and I am scheduled to go out on a long drive that can easily cross 5000 kms. The presnt engine oil has done 6.5 k.

So I am asking if I should change the engine oil or simply top up when it get lower? Iam on Castrol Edge 5W 40 fully synthtic.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:54   #3859
Senior - BHPian

^^ If the oil change interval is 10k KM, and my car has already done 6.5k KM, I would definitely change the oil if I am embarking on a > 5k KM trip.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:59   #3860
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Ertiga has 1.3 DDIS and I am scheduled to go out on a long drive that can easily cross 5000 kms. The presnt engine oil has done 6.5 k.
Since you are on synth, and in any case 5000 km in quick time is no real deal, so I will keep the oil as it is.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 14:20   #3861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So I am asking if I should change the engine oil or simply top up when it get lower? Iam on Castrol Edge 5W 40 fully synthtic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Since you are on synth, and in any case 5000 km in quick time is no real deal, so I will keep the oil as it is.
I agree,since you are on fully synthetic,i will not worry,and change oil once after the trip is over,and keep around 500ml-1L of oil handy for top ups.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:37   #3862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ If the oil change interval is 10k KM, and my car has already done 6.5k KM, I would definitely change the oil if I am embarking on a > 5k KM trip.
Ok. Thank you. Yes for peace of mind just have it all nice and fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Certainly a perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I agree,since you are on fully synthetic,i will not worry,and change oil once after the trip is over,and keep around 500ml-1L of oil handy for top ups.
Yes I do have almost 500 ml with me. I was also leaning towards no oil change but top up when it becomes a little less. Also, I think the 'consumption' is much less later in an engine's life than in the first 10,000 kms. Being fully synthetic I think it can certainly go 11-12000 kms on a drain period. And I can top up as well.

What I would not want to do is to spend an extra 2 hours at some MASS getting this done. The vehicle was serviced in early August (also oil change) and has since then done 6,500 kms

Thanks for everyone's perspective.

Cheers
Old 12th November 2013, 13:56   #3863
BHPian

I have a Manza diesel .I have a small confusion :

1)What is the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Delvac?
Is Mobil Delvac supposed to be more premium than Mobil1?

2)Manza owner's manual says :
recommended oil :

fist column is specification :
Under this column it says 5w40

then next column it says recomended brand :
mobil1 0w40 or
Petronas selenia 5w40?

so the confusion is when specification says 5w40 how can be the recomended brand is mobil1 0w40?
is there no difference between 5w40 semi synth and 0w40 fully synth ? (specification wise)
Old 12th November 2013, 14:16   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
so the confusion is when specification says 5w40 how can be the recomended brand is mobil1 0w40?
is there no difference between 5w40 semi synth and 0w40 fully synth ? (specification wise)
If the recommended oil specification is 5W/40, as a rule of thumb, the lower number can be equal to or less than 5, and the upper one equal to or greater than 40.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:15   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gansan please advice me on the Usage of Castrol Magnatec for my 2 year old City Ivtec as I am not confident of Idemitsu Oil being used and recommended by Honda. What are the pros and cons of Castrol magnatec?

thanks

AD
Old 12th November 2013, 21:43   #3866
BHPian

I have a Honda Civic (MT) and I have stretched the urge for Oil change to the brim (atleast in my motoring life so far):
- Last Oil change (Synthetic) was done at 67900 kms, the car is going for oil change this week and the car has clogged 86550 kms, means the Engine Oil has lasted 18650 Kms
- The car is running robust, no issues at all, whatsoever
- I have not driven the car on highway all this while, not even a single KM. It was used in city only and highway journeys were done with SUV at home
- I took note of Dipstick and the engine oil level till this morning is still OKAY
- The color has not turned 'black', it is slightly more dark-greenish than usual but nothing alarming in terms or sludge or particles or anything, and here every second day for the last 2 months I kept suggesting my driver that what we will see will be nothing less than engine oil and sludge porridge which he can merrily take home against salary if the engine seizes
- I do not know the brand but it was replaced by Honda service center, so its the same one they use

I can safely herewith assume, atleast for the petrol engines, that my present and future cars will not see engine oil change before covering exact 15000 kms each time (beyond which it seems like a stretch purely because fear sets in due to lack of concrete exact info on distance one change can cover)
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 22:28   #3867
Senior - BHPian

^^ Please change the oil at Honda recommended intervals. A Honda recommended oil is good enough, or any oil which meets or exceeds that spec.

The oil level remaining constant may not mean much. The humidity and water formed during combustion may compensate for the quantum of oil lost, and the dip stick may show a constant level. Especially during short city drives.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th November 2013 at 22:29.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 12:00   #3868
BHPian

Quote:

Manza which runs with the same engine and turbo combination had a service interval of 20k and Linea/Punto 90HP have a service interval of 15K kms with synthetic. There are many Manza, Linea and Puntos that runs with at least 15k change intervals using synthetic. So you should be ok without oil change for the trip.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 14:00   #3869
Senior - BHPian

I changed the oil from mineral to semi-synthetic from Honda and I see a lot of change City V-MT. My engine is still under warranty thus I did not go total synthetic.

Value for money: You get the smoothness and you can skip the oil change (serviced at Pearl Honda).

Cheers!
Old 13th November 2013, 14:08   #3870
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
My engine is still under warranty thus I did not go total synthetic.
If you are betyond the 6 month mark then Synth with annual changes and semi- with change every 6 months are both kosher. Annual costs are also about the same.

Most Viewed