Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 15:50   #4021
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
5W30 is also fine. You can go with it.
Please make sure the 30 is fine with the specs. My old cars Santro, and Accent were not. SAE 40 was needed. Modern engines are quite happy with ASE30, in fact Honda even allows SAE20 in some cases.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 16:47   #4022
BHPian

Hi all, Engine oil change is due on my Zen MPFI.

Currently I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40. Since I have now removed CNG, I plan to switch back to mineral oil after Flushing it.

Is Mobil Super 1000 15w-50 good? Any reviews with 15w-50

http://www.mobil.co.in/AP-English-LC...per-1000.aspx#

Is 15w-50 grade too thick?

As per the user manual, 15w-50 is okay and the grades exceed the specifications.

My view is that a thicker oil produces less friction, thereby resulting in a very smooth and silent engine.

Can someone point out the technicalities?

Thanks,
Yogesh.

Last edited by yogeshnagpal : 15th April 2014 at 16:49.
Old 16th April 2014, 10:14   #4023
BANNED

@yogeshnagpal; You are Ok but remember a 10 point higher SAE may result in a 2-3% higher consumption.
Old 16th April 2014, 10:36   #4024
BHPian

What about the smoothness and refinement

What grade provides the most refinement?
Old 16th April 2014, 12:07   #4025
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
What about the smoothness and refinement

What grade provides the most refinement?
Makes little difference. I just use the thinnest permitted. Maybe with a new engine you may use a grade thicker.
Old 16th April 2014, 13:26   #4026
BHPian

Mobil Super 1000 has different grades, as indicated in the link I posted above.

http://www.mobil.co.in/AP-English-LC...per-1000.aspx#

Which one seems to be the best? 15w50, or 10w40?

The API specs exceed the ones specified, but what I'm worried about is the SAE grade.

Before moving to Shell Helix Ultra, I had used Mobil 1, fully synthetic and the engine was fully silent. Couldn't even hear the hum. With Shell Helix Ultra, the engine is not as silent.

With Mobil Mineral, I expect to get back the completely silent engine, and hence want to ensure that I use the most appropriate grade!
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 22:37   #4027
BANNED

Quote:
Mobil Super 1000 has different grades, as indicated in the link I posted above.

Which one seems to be the best? 15w50, or 10w40?
Isn't it better to stick to XXW40 ranges rather than XXW50?

Though in cars I stick to manufacturers recommendations which is XXW40, but when used mineral oil in my bikes I was always comfortable with 20W40 rather than 10W30 or 15W50.

Anurag.
Old 17th April 2014, 15:58   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
AFAIK Mobil 1 is a petrol engine specific full synthetic oil. For the mjd you can try Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic oil specific for diesel engines. Majority of t-bhpians have been using the delvac series and are quite happy with it.
Problem is i cannot take my own oil at the TASS.
Also Mobil 1 synthetic oil is also recommended for diesel engines ... not necessarily only petrol. I agree Mobil Delvac is probably the best your diesel engine can get .. It is meant for high stress disel engines in trucks.
But the TASS doesn't stock DElvac or the mobil 1.
can i insist on taking my oil and also have the warranty intact ? can any one here throw any light here ?
Old 17th April 2014, 23:53   #4029
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post

can i insist on taking my oil and also have the warranty intact ? can any one here throw any light here ?
It all depends on your rapport with the service advisor you deal with is. If your friendly and he to is friendly them you can ask him about getting your own and doing the service. If he is fine then you can go ahead else he will start telling stories warranty loss etc so that time stock to what oil they fill in.

Is your car under warranty?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 09:02   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I have now removed CNG, I plan to switch back to mineral oil after Flushing it.
Do you really need to flush? In my knowledge you may need to flush only if you change from regular to synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Functionally, unless you like in Ladakh 0W and 5W are about the same.
Would the "0Wnn" provide better lubrication than "5Wnn" if you rev hard when the engine is still not warm?
My question: If the oil is rated "mmWnn", would a lower "mm" oil be suited for a car which is always used for short trips (without bumper-to-bumper traffic) because the engine never gets warm enough?

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2014 at 11:42.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 09:28   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Also Mobil 1 synthetic oil is also recommended for diesel engines ... not necessarily only petrol. I agree Mobil Delvac is probably the best your diesel engine can get .. It is meant for high stress disel engines in trucks.
But the TASS doesn't stock DElvac or the mobil 1.
It depends on your relation with TASS.If you have good relations then you can carry your own oil.But yes,they do mention in your service history that you bought your own engine oil.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 09:59   #4032
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Would the "0Wnn" provide better lubrication than "5Wnn" if you rev hard when the engine is still not warm?
My question: If the oil is rated "mmWnn", would a lower "mm" oil be suited for a car which is always used for short trips (without bumper-to-bumper traffic) because the engine never gets warm enough?
The 0/5 is only in the very beginning. Also, 0 is probably 2 or 3 (Remember the zero power bulbs!). I think in under five minutes the lower end become irrelevant.
Old 18th April 2014, 11:26   #4033
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi!

I'm keen on buying the 5w40 diesel oil from Mobil. Synthetic but I'm sure hydrocracked.

There's 0w40 petrol that everyone seems to be using but not only is it much more expensive ( 900x3.5L=3150 vs 2050 for a 3.5L can of 5w40), the shopkeeper told me that with synthetic lubes it doesn't matter if the vehicle is diesel or petrol! That the grade is important as synthetic is overall better than mineral.

So if I do indeed pick up the 5w40 that's made for diesel for my Xing, am I looking at punishment later? And would I need an engine flush @ 75K?

Further would I see any variations in using regular mineral transmission oil against say a synthetic one?
Old 18th April 2014, 11:37   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is your car under warranty?
Yes, the Manza is into it's third year . The warranty is for 4 years / 100,000kms .. so i have got another 13 months warranty left.
Ah but .. point noted.. only a year's warranty left .I hardly foresee any engine problems during that tenure .
So does that make my fear of engine warranty getting void, irrelevant ?
Also if i take my own oil and fore go the remaining 1 year warranty now and suppose i have issues other than engine related,
those warranties will be honored, right ?
It will be only engine warranty that becomes void, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It all depends on your rapport with the service advisor you deal with is. If your friendly and he to is friendly them you can ask him about getting your own and doing the service. If he is fine then you can go ahead else he will start telling stories warranty loss etc so that time stock to what oil they fill in.
Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
It depends on your relation with TASS.If you have good relations then you can carry your own oil.But yes,they do mention in your service history that you bought your own engine oil.
All i can say is that most of the SAs and Job supervisors at Concorde worli are at extremely good rapport with me and extremely courteous so far.
During previous oil change (allthough there was no real intentoin to do so from my side at that time) i happened to ask them that i want MOBIL 1 so i will bring my own oil , so they were telling me "but then if we don't show oil purchase entry in our system , you will face issues in warranty claims (if any)in future. He also told me that other users are equally happy with castrol Edge which also is as good as Mobil 1. SO i let it at that.
But i miss that smooth pull post 2200rpm with MOBIL 1.

With other oils(PETRONAS and CASTROL EDGE) i notice slight (just slight gruffiness)post 2200-2500RPM band .

During the oil change (which was done in front of me ) i also noticed that Castrol Edge can did not claim itself to he a 'SYNTHETIC' oil anywhere on it.
It did not mention that it is a SYNTHETIC oil anywhere.
And if so then why is it even more costlier than a fully Synth Mobil 1 oil ?
Just a marketing gimmick ?
Is Castro giving huge margins to TASS as compared to MOBIL 1?
I believe this is the only reason they have switched from MOBIL 1 to CASTROL EDGE.
Experts , please your take on CASTROL EDGE.

Last edited by madhu33 : 18th April 2014 at 11:39.
Old 18th April 2014, 20:51   #4035
BANNED

I think it was noopster (correct me if I am wrong) who pointed out a long time back, that hydrocracked csn be labelled synthetic.

Most Viewed