Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:46   #391
Team-BHP Support

can some one tell me where in bombay i can get synthetic oil for my getz and innova diesel. prefrebly in south bombay. and also how much they would cost per litre?
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:05   #392
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Go to four seasons at Tardeo; It should be about 700 bucks a liter.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:10   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go to four seasons at Tardeo; It should be about 700 bucks a liter.
oh boy.. 7l for my innova is gonna be alot of cash.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:21   #394
Senior - BHPian

Akshay, I wouldn't recommend Mobil1 for a diesel car.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:26   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Why would you say that Nitrous? Please elaborate on your statement, which, according to me is a bit too general as each car has set minimum parameters required from their oil.

E.g. VW TDi engines require a 505.00 oil, which Mobil 1 meets.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:58   #396
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post409339

Its something to do with different standards for petrol and diesel,RT!
How much has ur octy done??
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:20   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its something to do with different standards for petrol and diesel,RT!
Yes, there are different standards for diesels & petrols, but there are also oils that meet both these standards.

That link you provided talks about commercial diesel engines, the ones used on earth moving equipment, trucks etc. which use a totally different grade of oil - much much heavier. I'm talking about regular passenger cars, 99% of which recommend the same oil standards as their petrol counterparts.

Mercedes Benz, all VAG cars and countless other car companies supply and recommend only Mobil 1 and other 100% "petrol" synthetic oils for their diesel range.

About my car, its done 38K + km's till date, and as mentioned, the owners manual specifies VW505.00 oil, which Mobil1, Shell Helix, Motul 8100 all meet. The Laura is very particular about the oil it uses. It must meet VW505.1 specs. It's injectors are extremely sensitive to lower grade oils.

Last edited by Rtech : 2nd July 2007 at 17:23.
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:27   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Yes, there are different standards for diesels & petrols, but there are also oils that meet both these standards.

That link you provided talks about commercial diesel engines, the ones used on earth moving equipment, trucks etc. which sue a totally different grade of oil - much much heavier. I'm talking about regular passenger cars, 99% of which recommend the same oil standards as their petrol counterparts.

Mercedes Benz, all VAG cars and countless other car companies supply and recommend only Mobil 1 and other 100% "petrol" synthetic oils for their diesel range.

About my car, its done 38K + km's till date, and as mentioned, the owners manual specifies VW505.00 oil, which Mobil1, Shell Helix, Motul 8100 all meet. The Laura is very particular about the oil it uses. It must meet VW505.1 specs. It's injectors are extremely sensitive to lower grade oils.
Slightly wrong info here. Mobil 1 etc., come in Petrol synthetic oil, and also Super syn diesel variety.
So if your car manual says API-CH4 minimum, putting in castrol edge API-CF4 is WRONG!
So make sure whatever synthetic oil you put in your car meets the minimum standard in your service manual.
Delvac 1 is a API-CI4 fully synthetic diesel oil with Vis. 5W40.
I am not sure what Mobil 1 box says, but Mobil 1 Truck and SuV is API-CI4
In US 99% of diesels are trucks or SuVs thats why those boxes have that label.
I wonder how different a 2 liter crdi engine in a passenger car is from a 2.5L in a Suv.
As long as the oil meets Viscosity requirement(eg 15W50) and meets the API specifications (eg API-CH4) it should be okay.
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:39   #399
Team-BHP Support

the guys at 4 seasons should know what oil would be best for the car right? i intend to do it first getz and the week after on the innova.
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:44   #400
Team-BHP Support

At the time of my first oil change, I had written to Mobil1 itself and asked them what they recommend - regular Mobil1 or Delvac. They replied stating that for my use, and as per what is recommended in the manual, it's best to use Mobil1 only. I tend to believe what the oil manufacturers and the auto manufacturers themselves recommend!

BTW, VW usually specify their requirements with their own code - VW505.00 for example. This is a more stringent standard, and one that is met by most 100% synthetic oils. But not all of them.

Quote:
I wonder how different a 2 liter crdi engine in a passenger car is from a 2.5L in a Suv.
Quite a bit actually, if you are talking about the American diesels. I doubt you'll find a 2.5L engine there though! But thats for another thread.
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:02   #401
Team-BHP Support

You have a VW car so they give VW standards, but if some car has API standards(For example Elantra CRDI says API-CH4) then I think you should use an oil which meets API-CH4 standards.
I wonder how safe is using an oil which says meets API-CF4 in a car which clearly states API-CH4 minimum standard required.
Moreover petrol/diesel engine oil standards are very different. Thats the reason that you will not find a diesel oil which meets API-CI4 meeting the Petrol API standard.
As for Delvac 1,I don't think this is heavy equipment oil.
To sum it up, I think you and I all saying the same thing. Use an oil which exceeds or meets the requirements in service manual.
For example if your car says "meets VW505.00" then use an oil which meets that. Its not good to use an oil which just meets API-CI4 and does not list whether it meets VW505.00.
OTOH, if you have a car where the manual says "Needs to meet API-CH4", then looking at a VW standard does not make much sense.
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:15   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To sum it up, I think you and I all saying the same thing. Use an oil which exceeds or meets the requirements in service manual.
Amen! Read back at my original statement which was in reply to Nitrous's general comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Why would you say that Nitrous? Please elaborate on your statement, which, according to me is a bit too general as each car has set minimum parameters required from their oil.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:57   #403
Senior - BHPian

Im not sure if the regular Mobil1 5W50 which is sold surpasses both petrol and diesel engine requirements at the same time.
If there is a Mobil1 synthetic for petrol and a different variant one for diesel,im not aware of it.Sorry!
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:09   #404
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At the time of my first oil change, I had written to Mobil1 itself and asked them what they recommend - regular Mobil1 or Delvac. They replied stating that for my use, and as per what is recommended in the manual, it's best to use Mobil1 only. I tend to believe what the oil manufacturers and the auto manufacturers themselves recommend!
Mobil in India recommends only Mobil 1 for all applications. Reason? They have a limited supply of Delvac which is eaten up by Volvo. I had used Delvac earlier in the Jeep and it was an awesome oil.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:19   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mobil in India recommends only Mobil 1 for all applications.
The email was not sent to Mobil India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks