Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 10:14   #4276
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Whether it holds good or bad for Diesel is something I won't mind as long as it is fine for my petrol car.

Would surely like to know from you if this choice is decent enough, if not great, for my Santro Xing (2007).
It should do fine, so no issues on that.
Old 9th October 2015, 00:24   #4277
BHPian

Hello All,

This is my first post in the forum. I tried reading through all the posts to get an understanding of various types of oils. I own an i20 Asta (petrol) since 2010. The odometer stands at 47000 kilometers now. Every single service till now has been done at authorized hyundai service centers and they have a good chunk of my hard earned money.

I want to switch over to synthetic oil and do the oil change at a private workshop rather than a hyundai service center. I have zeroed in on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. I have 3 doubts regarding this,

1) The product description says its a fully synthetic motor oil, but I remember it being quoted as "Group III Hydrocracked oil". Will my wish of using a fully synthetic oil be justified if I use this one ?

2) The recommended grade in the manual says, 5W-30. Now, is it safe to use a 5W-40 for my i20 petrol ? I assume it should be safe , if the specification is greater than the upper value mentioned in the manual. I just want to be sure before I proceed.

Apologies, if I have asked a redundant question. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2015, 07:51   #4278
BANNED

@shansundar; Do not worry as to the route to the making of the oil. As long as it is API-SN you are fine. Using SAE40 in place of 30 is fine, except you may lose 3-5% in fuel economy in the worst case.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:00   #4279
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2015 at 14:49.
shansundar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th October 2015, 10:13   #4280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
I will surely post whatever experience I get with this oil. Strangely I could not find anything about it on HP website or internet except one post on Team BHP where someone asked about this oil in 2012.
Its been one week since I got the engine oil changed to HP Neo synth 5W30. Well, I don't know what to say but sometimes it feels there is no change but then other times I feel the engine is responding a little better in heavy traffic conditions.

Are there any specific parameters I should pay attention to, to really understand if there is any real difference!
Old 22nd November 2015, 11:11   #4281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Semi-synth can be a real can of worms.
At the MASS, how to differentiate between semisynthetic and fully synthetic?
Old 25th November 2015, 19:23   #4282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
Check it to be written on the pack itself. However, I seriously doubt MASS keeping Semi Synthetic Oil. They usually promote/ stock Fully Synthetic Oil.

BTW what oil(s) are they proposing you to use ? May be that can help me give you clarity on the question raised by you.
Old 1st December 2015, 14:37   #4283
BHPian

Hello team,

I own a 2011 VW Polo TDI, VW recommends 5W30 Fully-Synthetic Engine oil for the TDi engine.
I was wondering if going the semi-synthetic route will do any damage to the engine.
While I agree that apart from price there might not be any other benefits, but for the cost of one fully-synthetic oil change I can do 3 semi-synthetic oil changes!

Any and all inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by 599gto : 1st December 2015 at 14:42.
Old 2nd December 2015, 00:18   #4284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Check it to be written on the pack itself. However, I seriously doubt MASS keeping Semi Synthetic Oil. They usually promote/ stock Fully Synthetic Oil.
At Sai Service as well as My Car MASS in Pune, the oils are stored in barrels in a separate area and these are routed to the service points through the piping. There is a separate overhead hose reel for each type of oil at every service point. The technician fills oil with the help of the nozzle.

So, there is no pack available to read what kind of oil they use. Maruti Genuine Oil (MGO) for the SX4 VVT is Shell Helix 5W30 and 3 lit pack is available at Rs. 1008 MRP. So this must be the mineral oil.
Old 6th December 2015, 01:24   #4285
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Team,

I own a 2000 model 5 Speed 800 DX variant, with more than 2.5 lac kms on its odo and still as healthy as ever. I am badly confused over some aspects of engine oil, and look forward to you all to help me out.

Doubt 1:- Regarding the capacity of oil to be filled in.
The owners manual states that- With replacement oil filter, 2.7L of engine oil needs to be filled in. And we all know that excess of engine oil is as harmful as low engine oil.

Owners's manual screenshot
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-13.jpg

And have a look what they have billed me for. 3L of engine oil. I have also seen them emptying the entire contents of the can, which has written 3L on it. Will it now harm my engine?? Or is 300ml too less a quantity to cause any damage??
Edit- In the dipstick, oil level is always at the max mark in my car.
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20151012_181820.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20150902_003257.jpg

Doubt 2:-Regarding the grade
M800's owner manual doesn't say anything specific about the grade, and leaves it to the owners to choose according to the climate of the region.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-12.jpg

A bit of history of my car- For the past 16 years, it has already got its engine oil change before 5000kms mark. And we have always filled mineral oil(20W40-MGO), so its no brainer regarding the oil change interval-it has to get new oil at the end of 5000kms. And thanks to this interval, the engine is as good as new till date.

Now like all BHPians, I too will love to give my car that extra bit, specially if it is beneficial for its health.
So my question is, can I switch safely to Mobil1 0W40 Synthetic grade for my car?? Or is it meant only for larger displacement motors and will not to any good to my car??

Sorry, but these two concerns have been haunting me since days, and today I finally found time to put it in front of you.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th December 2015 at 01:43.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 01:52   #4286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Doubt 1:- Regarding the capacity of oil to be filled in.

And have a look what they have billed me for. 3L of engine oil.
IMO get the extra 300ml drained.

It may not sound much quantity but it is best to remain in specifications put down by the manufacturer as they know the engine the better than it over smart SA's.

It'll be niggling you anyway.

Quote:
Doubt 2:-Regarding the grade

M800's owner manual doesn't say anything specific about the grade, and leaves it to the owners to choose according to the climate of the region.
May not be any specific time to follow but it will depend on what is the coldest temperature your city will face? IMO 5W40 should do it.

Since you have been filling mineral oil of 20W40 grace with an interval of 5K kms, I'll suggest you to shift to Synthetic and increase that interval to 10K kms.

Good for the car, environment and you too.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 02:22   #4287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMO get the extra 300ml drained.

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

My car is anyways due for an oil change soon, WHile putting the new oil, I will be draining the 300ml using a beaker and ask them to put the rest.

Quote:
May not be any specific time to follow but it will depend on what is the coldest temperature your city will face?
Our city Ranchi will never see the temperature going down below 5 degree centigrade in any case. Maximum temperature for the year remains around the 40 degrees mark.

Quote:
Good for the car, environment and you too.
Its good for everything, except perhaps the wallet.
It costs around Rs.3300 for a 3L pack. For that amount, I'd fill new mineral oil more than 3 times.
Jokes aside, will be shifting to the 0W40 Mobil1 this time. Have already made up my mind for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
No, only 2.8 litres should be used. I actually have 1.2 litres balance from the last oil change.
Edit- Searched this thread for Gansan Sir's post, as I knew from my "guest" days that he had an alto with the same engine as my 800. And there I get the answer. They have been doing it the wrong way indeed. (smiley limit bypassed)

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th December 2015 at 02:27.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 03:19   #4288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

My car is anyways due for an oil change soon, WHile putting the new oil, I will be draining the 300ml using a beaker and ask them to put the rest.

Our city Ranchi will never see the temperature going down below 5 degree centigrade in any case. Maximum temperature for the year remains around the 40 degrees mark.

Its good for everything, except perhaps the wallet.
It costs around Rs.3300 for a 3L pack. For that amount, I'd fill new mineral oil more than 3 times.
Jokes aside, will be shifting to the 0W40 Mobil1 this time. Have already made up my mind for that.

Edit- Searched this thread for Gansan Sir's post, as I knew from my "guest" days that he had an alto with the same engine as my 800. And there I get the answer. They have been doing it the wrong way indeed. (smiley limit bypassed)

Regards,
Shashi
1. API-SF/CC is prehistoric a spec today. Run SJ atleast.
2. Your car has done 250,000 kms. There's definitely increased tolerances in the internals. I would recommend 15W40 mineral or 10W40 semi synth.
5W40/0W40 full synth would have too much detergents and cause leaks from aged seals.
nitrous is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 03:30   #4289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1. API-SF/CC is prehistoric a spec today. Run SJ atleast.
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I am actually well aware of the latest specs, thanks to the contribution of members here. The problem of being a resident of a Tier-II city is the availability of engine oil. To avoid counterfeit products, we are left at the mercy of MASS who are still thriving in prehistoric era and happily stocking these outdated oil grades.

Quote:
2. Your car has done 250,000 kms. There's definitely increased tolerances in the internals. I would recommend 15W40 mineral or 10W40 semi synth.
5W40/0W40 full synth would have too much detergents and cause leaks from aged seals.
I am not aware of how bad the tolerances are, but I had the compression test done recently and the values were 12.8, 13.0 and 13.1 respectively in the cylinders, which according to my SA, is excellent. I hope these values reveal something to you about the health of my car.

Still I was vary of using too thin a grade for my oldie. Hence thought of asking here.
The grades available at my MASS are 0W20, 5W30, 0W40(fully Synth Mobil1) and 20W40 Shell. I have to choose from these grades only.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 12:12   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I am actually well aware of the latest specs, thanks to the contribution of members here. The problem of being a resident of a Tier-II city is the availability of engine oil. To avoid counterfeit products, we are left at the mercy of MASS who are still thriving in prehistoric era and happily stocking these outdated oil grades.

I am not aware of how bad the tolerances are, but I had the compression test done recently and the values were 12.8, 13.0 and 13.1 respectively in the cylinders, which according to my SA, is excellent. I hope these values reveal something to you about the health of my car.

Still I was vary of using too thin a grade for my oldie. Hence thought of asking here.
The grades available at my MASS are 0W20, 5W30, 0W40(fully Synth Mobil1) and 20W40 Shell. I have to choose from these grades only.

Regards,
Shashi
You will find API-SJ+ and 15W40/10W40 at a petrol station in your town for sure.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed