Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 23:00   #4486
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Liqui-Moly brand engine oils and range of products now on Amazon! Even the MoS2 variant oils are there! Reasonably priced. 5W40 is 4600 for 5 liters! Just wait for the discounts to start !

http://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Tour...rds=liqui+moly
Haven't heard about Liqui Moly yet!

Is it better that Mobil/Shell or others?
Old 25th April 2016, 02:55   #4487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
So Honda Brio is due for a oil change in next 1500 kms. Last time I asked the service guy he said the specific oil for Honda cars is not available over the counters and I need to get it done from them. No option. I dont believe a single word of his.
So which one is recommended for Brio ?Also, Can I get the oil filter of Honda over the counter in any local shop ?
You are right in not believing the SA. Engine Oils are standard for any production car. The oil grade recommended for Brio will be given in your owners manual.
Most probably it will be 10W30 or 5W30.
Old 25th April 2016, 06:40   #4488
BANNED

@guptavis; I think the Brio can take anything from 0W20 onwards. I use the Honda 0W30 synth or the semi-synth. Since that is cheaper than anything on the market, I just use and get on with it. I put Mobil1 0W40 into my Civic at the first change. I put a note on the order sheet at Mobil1 0W40 API-SN supplied. The SA had to get the SM to approve but that is his issue.

There are both commissions for the dealership and moolah for the company involved. if I remember right Hyundai expects (or at least used to expect) at least 80% of the vehicles serviced to use oil from them! This was told to me by a dealer. Else there were penalties on the dealer.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 18:45   #4489
BHPian

I just spoke with the DSK Toyota, if they have any Toyota recommended Synthetic Oil as I am opting for Synthetic Oil. I have clocked 10,000 kms. The concerned person told me that, they use Toyota manufactured Synthetic Oil. It is 5w40. The price of the said Synthetic Oil will cost Rs. 890/L. Is there anyone who is using Synthetic Oil in Innova. If so, then which company oil is used by them and the price. Is Toyota manufactures synthetic oil?

Last edited by kabir3551 : 25th April 2016 at 18:47.
Old 25th April 2016, 19:52   #4490
BANNED

@kabir3551; The oil is always 'cobranded', ie made by a major oil firm and carries the sticker of the car company. If you see Maruti or Hyundai there are oils with a double barrel moniker. You pay about 5-10% extra for this privilege.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:04   #4491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
The concerned person told me that, they use Toyota manufactured Synthetic Oil. It is 5w40. The price of the said Synthetic Oil will cost Rs. 890/L. Is there anyone who is using Synthetic Oil in Innova. If so, then which company oil is used by them and the price. Is Toyota manufactures synthetic oil?
Toyota has tied up with Idemitsu (a Japanese brand of Lubricants) for their "Genuine Engine Oils". Considering the price at which they are providing the Synthetic Oil, IMHO I think it is pretty reasonable according to industry standards; specially w.r.t. OEM standards. I guess they will charge local VAT on the quoted price which should result in the actual price to User to be a notch above Rs.1,000/ Liter which is again a VFM proposition by all means.

I know a fellow BHPian who is currently using Toyota Fully Synthetic Oil in his ETIOS petrol and is pretty happy with the overall performance and the life of the engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@kabir3551; The oil is always 'cobranded', ie made by a major oil firm and carries the sticker of the car company. If you see Maruti or Hyundai there are oils with a double barrel moniker. You pay about 5-10% extra for this privilege.
Correctly said "Co-Branded" Sir !! However, the royalty implication for these co-branded oils are much higher than 5-10%. It varies from 25-45 rupees/ Liter in case of a conventional Mineral Oils and almost double in case of the Synthetics.
Old 26th April 2016, 13:27   #4492
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Toyota has tied up with Idemitsu (a Japanese brand of Lubricants) for their "Genuine Engine Oils". Considering the price at which they are providing the Synthetic Oil, IMHO I think it is pretty reasonable according to industry standards; specially w.r.t. OEM standards. I guess they will charge local VAT on the quoted price which should result in the actual price to User to be a notch above Rs.1,000/ Liter which is again a VFM proposition by all means.
Honda is also using Idemitsu. Idemitsu is also Savsol (Savita Oil) in India. I have been using their stuff in my Civic and Brio, and my son and daughter-in-law in their City and Amaze. We have had no issues.
Old 26th April 2016, 13:53   #4493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Honda is also using Idemitsu. Idemitsu is also Savsol (Savita Oil) in India.
Saying "Idemitsu is also Savsol" is completely misleading and I would like to correct you on that note (in good spirits) with no offenses.

Savita Oil Technologies Ltd (makers of the brand SAVSOL) had entered into a technical collaboration agreement for Genuine Products with Idemitsu Lube India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (subsidiary of Idemitsu Kosan Co. Ltd. of Japan) for manufacturing and marketing of Genuine Products in India. However, Idemitsu Lube India Private Limited has terminated the agreement on May 2, 2013 as per the provisions of that agreement.

Sharing the Link to the News for everyone's reference :

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/Id...225378867.html

http://www.equitybulls.com/admin/new....asp?id=120037

Now there are a lot of things attached to the said agreement. It can be a mere Toll Blending agreement or simply a re-packaging arrangement. Thus, it will not be correct to say that Idemitsu is also Savsol.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 08:02   #4494
BHPian

Hi Friends. So finally I went ahead with Synthetic Oil. I get my car service done at DSK Toyota. At the time of inspection I asked the supervisor which Synthetic Oil they will be using. The person answered that, they use Shell Helix 5w40. I told him that, when I had asked on phone during appointment I was informed that, they use Toyota Synthetic Oil which is actually Idemitsu Oil. I think Shell is rated above Idemitsu. So finally went ahead with the Synthetic Oil and the final bill paid by me was Rs. 7328/- that included everything. Will attach the bill on Monday. A slight discussion and query with him got me the difference of price between Mineral and Synthetic Oil which is Rs. 3918/-.
I am having a long trip of 2000 kms to South (Pune to Ooty) in next week. I will definitely post regarding the change in performance.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 11:17   #4495
BHPian

My Grand i10 Petrol AT went for its 2nd / 10,000 KM service a few days back.

I have switched to synthetic oil which costs Rs. 926.5 per litre before taxes.

HASS said it's Shell.

I'll update the forum with my experience in a few days..
Old 16th June 2016, 23:53   #4496
BHPian

I drive a Ford Ecosport Diesel and it has done 19k KM. I wanted to move to synthetic engine oil in current service but the FASS in Delhi has refused for this. His reasoning is that ford recommends Semi-Synthetic and if i make a change it will void my warranty.

How should i proceed ? If I get the engine oil changed from outside will the FASS and Ford be able to identify the change. In service manual only the grade is mentioned and I see no specific recommendation for Synthetic or Semi Synthetic.
Old 17th June 2016, 00:08   #4497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I drive a Ford Ecosport Diesel and it has done 19k KM. I wanted to move to synthetic engine oil in current service but the FASS in Delhi has refused for this. His reasoning is that ford recommends Semi-Synthetic and if i make a change it will void my warranty.

How should i proceed ? If I get the engine oil changed from outside will the FASS and Ford be able to identify the change. In service manual only the grade is mentioned and I see no specific recommendation for Synthetic or Semi Synthetic.
If your car is under warranty make sure you only use oil that the manufacturer recommends. Purchase of oil and the filter should be mentioned in your service record i.e in the service advisors job card/sheet AND the final bill.

Remember, they just need a small excuse to deny any warranty claim. Don't give it to them. You can try synthetic after your warranty expires.

Quote:
The person answered that, they use Shell Helix 5w40. I told him that, when I had asked on phone during appointment I was informed that, they use Toyota Synthetic Oil which is actually Idemitsu Oil. I think Shell is rated above Idemitsu
A bit surprised to read DSKT is now using Shell Helix Ultra instead of Toyota's OEM synthetic. Both are 5W-40 BTW so it's not an issue.

I normally buy my engine oil from a known local retailer and provide it to DSKT when my car goes for a service. However, I assume DSKT sells the oil at MRP whereas one can get it for less in the retail market.

Been using SHU exclusively in my car (a petrol Altis) since 2009 and I am not going back to mineral. What's your feedback?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2017 at 12:13. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 20th June 2016, 19:29   #4498
BHPian

Hi R2D2. When I had gone for servicing of my Innova I had requested the concerned person to give me the oil which they will be removing as I need it. They said they wont be able to give me my car oil which they will be removing as they drain the oil in barrel, but from that barrel they will give me my oil. They gave me the oil in the can of my synthetic oil which they put in my car. I didn't buy Synthetic Oil from outside, they only provided the same as I was confused which one to use. I thought it would be better to opt for the company recommended one. Fortunately I got the can of synthetic oil which they are using. I was lucky that even after 50 days servicing I was able to trace the synthetic oil can in my backyard.
Car is doing well. I guess now the service interval would be 10,000kms because of synthetic oil. Here are the pics of the can.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_4773.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_4774.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_4775.jpg  

kabir3551 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 21:46   #4499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Haven't heard about Liqui Moly yet!

Is it better that Mobil/Shell or others?
Liqui Moly started life as an additive esp for Transmissions and Differentials. Aficionados swore by it. Originally, it was in Tablet form to be put into the box. Was supposed to be a really long-lasting anti-friction coating, which could even run a box for a long distance after loss of lube. Then they became regular lubes.

Their stuff is supposed to be excellent, though I have no personal experience.
Old 20th June 2016, 22:18   #4500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't buy Synthetic Oil from outside, they only provided the same as I was confused which one to use. I thought it would be better to opt for the company recommended one. Fortunately I got the can of synthetic oil which they are using. I was lucky that even after 50 days servicing I was able to trace the synthetic oil can in my backyard.
Car is doing well. I guess now the service interval would be 10,000kms because of synthetic oil. Here are the pics of the can.
Ah, ok so you went with the OEM oil. That's a good oil and I almost went in for it when my car was new.

I stuck with Shell is because it is cheaper as Toyota sells all their oils at MRP. I believe (without any scientific basis of course) that Shell is better given its wider adoption and that Ferrari emblem on the can.

BTW drain interval stays the same regardless of which oil you use mineral or synth. And frankly you can get better diesel specific synthetic oil. Go in for Mobil Delvac 1, one of the best there is. Shell Helix Ultra diesel is not available in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks