Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 13:47   #4561
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Thanks Devarshi,
For taking time to pen down your thoughts.
It's just that the guys were confidentally any modern cars would benefit with Gulfstar irrespective of the grade and hence wanted to check if any tried this product.

MRP price quoted :: Rs 4000
After discount price :: Rs 3700
Old 14th November 2016, 14:41   #4562
Senior - BHPian

I talked to a longstanding oil and lube / parts shop in Chennai - he says Gulfstar is a pretty good brand though he didn't stock it at the moment.

Still don't buy a 0W40 lube if your car specifies a different grade of oil. Check the grades of oil supported from your car manual and buy just that. Any brand - Shell, Valvoline, Gulfstar etc will have oil in a wide variety of grades available. So if you prefer gulfstar go ahead but buy the specific allowed grade of oil in that brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Thanks Devarshi,
For taking time to pen down your thoughts.
It's just that the guys were confidentally any modern cars would benefit with Gulfstar irrespective of the grade and hence wanted to check if any tried this product.

MRP price quoted :: Rs 4000
After discount price :: Rs 3700
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 14:48   #4563
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-71.html

this link shows that you need a5/b5. It follows A1/b1 and has a low HTHS rating for fuel efficiency and extended drain intervals.

Also I stand corrected. The gulfstar oil you posted is a3/b4. You can easily go for those fuel economy saving oils which are labeled a1/b1 or a5/b5. MB 229.51 - bmw ll04 rated.

you can also use a3/b4 oils as per my understanding.

PS: I am basing my thoughts on the page from the manual showed in the link.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th November 2016 at 14:50.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:14   #4564
BHPian

Please do not post one-liners that add no value to the discussion. Please use the Thanks button for thanking people.

Regards
teamBHP Support

Last edited by SDP : 14th November 2016 at 15:58.
Old 17th November 2016, 09:59   #4565

I am from Bangladesh and my car is Toyota Vitz. It's a JDM car and it's known as Yaris hatchback in European market. AFAIK this model is not available in India. It has a 1.3L engine which is made by Daihatsu (not VVTI engine). I am not a car expert so pardon my naive specification of the car.

I previously knew that for Bangladeshi weather (which is similar to India) 10w-40 engine oil is applicable since the temperature in winter is about 10 degree and in summer it's about 40 degree. Then I googled before changing the engine oil for the first time and came to know that it's not about temperature it's about viscosity.

I changed the engine oil about three months back according to the suggestion of a renowned service center of Dhaka. They said that the recommended engine oil for this car is SAE 0w-20. I also found the same on the car's manual. So I used Revenol SAE 0w-20. It's full synthetic oil and the service center guy said it will run about 5000 km. So far the engine oil is good after running 2000 km.

But some of my friends are saying that 0w-20 is not appropriate for our weather even though it's written on the manual. They say I should have taken 0w-30 or 40. Should I hear them or should I go by the book?

Last edited by Nahid : 17th November 2016 at 10:17.
Old 17th November 2016, 11:51   #4566
Senior - BHPian

0W20 works fine even in weather hotter and more humid than India - Arizona, Georgia type places. Feel free to use it but just be sure that you fill absolutely clean petrol if your manual recommends it.

Else 5W30 / 15W40 according to this depending on which year's model this is.

http://cararac.com/engine_oil/toyota/vitz.html
Old 17th November 2016, 16:52   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahid View Post
I am from Bangladesh and my car is Toyota Vitz. It's a JDM car and it's known as Yaris hatchback in European market. AFAIK this model is not available in India. It has a 1.3L engine which is made by Daihatsu (not VVTI engine). I am not a car expert so pardon my naive specification of the car.

I previously knew that for Bangladeshi weather (which is similar to India) 10w-40 engine oil is applicable since the temperature in winter is about 10 degree and in summer it's about 40 degree. Then I googled before changing the engine oil for the first time and came to know that it's not about temperature it's about viscosity.

I changed the engine oil about three months back according to the suggestion of a renowned service center of Dhaka. They said that the recommended engine oil for this car is SAE 0w-20. I also found the same on the car's manual. So I used Revenol SAE 0w-20. It's full synthetic oil and the service center guy said it will run about 5000 km. So far the engine oil is good after running 2000 km.

But some of my friends are saying that 0w-20 is not appropriate for our weather even though it's written on the manual. They say I should have taken 0w-30 or 40. Should I hear them or should I go by the book?
Considering the winter weather currently, 0w-20 should be fine. Also Toyota has been recommending its magic 0w-20 TGMO to more and more markets now.

But the problem with thinner oil is oil pressure. You go too thin and the pressure wont be enough to reach every nook and corner. This will lead to accelerated wear and tear.

Do not rush to change your 0w-20. But for old generation non VVT engines, I would suggest to go with 5w-30.
Old 17th November 2016, 19:57   #4568
BANNED

I will replace the oil in my Civic as soon as I can get some money out of the bank, say a week or so. I guess it will be 0W20 this time. So I will report back.
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:41   #4569

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Considering the winter weather currently, 0w-20 should be fine. Also Toyota has been recommending its magic 0w-20 TGMO to more and more markets now.

But the problem with thinner oil is oil pressure. You go too thin and the pressure wont be enough to reach every nook and corner. This will lead to accelerated wear and tear.

Do not rush to change your 0w-20. But for old generation non VVT engines, I would suggest to go with 5w-30.
Thank you for your suggestion. Just to let you know that the car is not that much old. It's a 2011 model. I specified 'non VVTI' because there are some cheaper Toyota JDM models like Vitz, Passo etc. which has an engine made by Dihatsu to reduce manufacturing cost, may be. Thanks again.
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:15   #4570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will replace the oil in my Civic as soon as I can get some money out of the bank, say a week or so. I guess it will be 0W20 this time. So I will report back.
Sir, you could just order off Amazon or Flipkart using a credit card and save cash that way?

Granted that the local oil vendors whether in Kanpur or elsewhere are less likely to use cash - though who knows, with this current demonetization. The local garage I use recently got itself a credit card terminal, and it is an open ground with a tin sheet door.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:36   #4571
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sir, you could just order off Amazon or Flipkart using a credit card and save cash that way?

Granted that the local oil vendors whether in Kanpur or elsewhere are less likely to use cash - though who knows, with this current demonetization. The local garage I use recently got itself a credit card terminal, and it is an open ground with a tin sheet door.
Local Honda concessionaire did not have any synth, so had to go in for mineral. I think my son who is taking the car soon, will change to oil a bit earlier and go Synth in Gurugram.

Also, they did not have the wiper rubbers, so have ordered from the web. By the looks of it the spares situation for Civic is also becoming pathetic.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:40   #4572
Senior - BHPian

You can buy the oil and take it there for him to change it, or get oil change done at any garage of your choice .. even a fuel pump is capable of effecting a car oil change.

Civic spare situation is a bit tough these days unfortunately - but may improve once the civic gets reintroduced in India.
Old 22nd November 2016, 16:29   #4573
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can buy the oil and take it there for him to change it, or get oil change done at any garage of your choice .. even a fuel pump is capable of effecting a car oil change.

Civic spare situation is a bit tough these days unfortunately - but may improve once the civic gets reintroduced in India.
No issue with changing it myself. I am sure the copper washer can handle one additional cycle. Filters, are a dime a dozen, at any reliable spares shop. I think Honda uses the same for the City & Civic.

However, once we have put in the oil, might as well allow it to run for say 5,000km.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:23   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Mineral is not detrimental to the engine. But the same is not applicable to environment. Not that 3 liters is going to save the planet, but every drop counts.

Might suck out the best out of the oil before replacing.
Old 24th November 2016, 09:05   #4575
BHPian

It been a year since I got my Rapid 1.5 Diesel serviced. But I have just driven 7k kms over a year. I was a bit surprised to see oil level yesterday, it is almost reached very low level and also very dark in color.

I prefer to change the oil in a FNG. I really don't know what oil is used in Rapid diesel cars and its viscosity.

Can someone advice me on the best oil (Synthetic/Mineral) that can be used. Budget is not a constraint.

Thanks in advance..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks