Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 15:48   #4666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have heard that Liqui moly Oils are good options to mix with other oils. But it is mostly recommended to mix oils of the same brand. So you can mix mobil1 with a mobil semi. A lot of people mix oils for multiple reasons with good results, but there are no proven formulas.
The problem is not with the base oils (they mix), it is with the additives. They are chemicals and we customers don't fully understand their nature and reactions with chemicals (additives) in other brands of oil. That's why I don't recommend mixing.

Quote:
4 oil changes in 10K mileage are a lot of oil changes.
I think he means it's the 4th service at intervals of 10K kms each.

Also, it is important to note, it's not just the mileage that determines an oil change but elapsed time too. For all cars an change oil interval is recommended every xxxx Kms or yy months whichever is earlier.

Quote:
There are a lot of reasons including cost that make semi synths a good choice.
Semi synthetics are certainly value for money. I use Shell Helix HX7 in my Fiat and am very happy with the performance.

Quote:
Shell helix ultra is a good quality oil. but shell hx7 is less than half the price of Helix ultra.
Yes, I use both HX7 and SHU in 2 of my cars.

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th March 2017 at 15:49.
Old 6th March 2017, 18:45   #4667
BHPian

Thank you so much R2D2 & devarshi 84 for your valuable opinion. I did last oil change 14 months before that's why want to replace it. Distance covered is only 10k. Now my car has done 75k. Of late my running has reduced drastically , may be now in a year would be doing 7/8 k max. This is the reason why I am thinking for semi synth/ minerals . No point in spending more since in any case I have to go for oil change in 12 months.
I had made the purchase of left over Mobil 1 engine oil online 14 months back. So no chance to set it off.
I think prolonging for more than 14 months will not be prudent in spite of my low running.

From mobile
Old 7th March 2017, 08:02   #4668
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I think prolonging for more than 14 months will not be prudent in spite of my low running.
I agree. some people are willing to go to 18 months with synth. I will still like to stick with 12 months. So change the oil asap.
Old 7th March 2017, 12:02   #4669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Thank you so much R2D2 & devarshi 84 for your valuable opinion. I did last oil change 14 months before that's why want to replace it. Distance covered is only 10k. Now my car has done 75k. Of late my running has reduced drastically , may be now in a year would be doing 7/8 k max. This is the reason why I am thinking for semi synth/ minerals . No point in spending more since in any case I have to go for oil change in 12 months.
I had made the purchase of left over Mobil 1 engine oil online 14 months back. So no chance to set it off.

From mobile
10K in Indian conditions is good enough for a good synth oil. The interval can be stretched to 12-14K strictly if the engine is not stressed (spirited driving).

Hyundai website says 5w-30 for Verna. You can use a Semi 10w-30.

While 14months shouldn't do much harm to the engine, it is better to go with a semi and change regularly. Oils and oil changes are grossly overhyped. A regular oil change with Dino is enough to keep the car running for decades.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 16:46   #4670
BHPian

Re: Suzuki service center has used the wrong oil for my wagonR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
Had the 50K KM service done for my trusty '12 wagonr, decided to go in for synthetic oil this time; for the first time ever after the service I noticed it running much more effortlessly climbing out of mall basements on the second gear and I was really happy.

I just reread the owner's manual and 0w20 is the oil which has been recommended, checked the invoice and it mentions 0w40 (which I believe is more viscous than 5w30 which was in it earlier). I should have read up before going in for the service, i know.

The service was carried out at a magic auto authorised center in Delhi.

Now I have read all types of conflicting information on the interwebs... can anyone here please provide a definitive recommendation?

Thanks!
Quoted for a little background, just measured fuel efficiency from tankful to tankful, came in at around 14.5kmpl , that's around 3.5-4kmpl less than with the old 5w30. Driving has been a mix of short and long trips around the city with highway usage. Magic auto MASS really dropped the ball on this one.
eternalck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 17:46   #4671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
Quoted for a little background, just measured fuel efficiency from tankful to tankful, came in at around 14.5kmpl , that's around 3.5-4kmpl less than with the old 5w30.
Was the old measurement done under similar driving conditions, speed, load, weather and AC usage? 4 kmpl drop just due to the oil viscosity change i feel is on the higher side. Also effortless drive should mean engine is more free / less inertia and that should give better FE.

What were the other work done along with this?
Old 8th March 2017, 04:38   #4672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree. some people are willing to go to 18 months with synth. I will still like to stick with 12 months. So change the oil asap.
I have seen the change interval expressed in months on this site many times. Just to be exact, the interval should be governed primarily by distance travelled plus the conditions of the travel e.g. more frequent oil changes if the outside temp is unusually hot, the engine is stressed for long periods (mountain climbing) or the air is dust laden. Only for vehicles that are rarely used does time between oil changes become important.

Synthetic oil is a better lubricant than petroleum based oil. This has been proven and accepted for decades. It is particularly helpful in start ups where experts say 30% of all engine wear occurs. In other parts of the world people have installed secondary filtration systems in their vehicles to filter out more dirt and impurites. This allows them to extend synthetic oil changes to 30,000 kilometers. Synthetic oil does not break down chemically nearly as fast as petroleum based oil and will stay stable for long periods of time. It is dirt and impurities that still make relatively frequent oil changes necessary for synthetic, not chemical breakdown of the lubricant.

You can also simply drain your synthetic oil and gravity feed it through your own home made filter and then pour it back into your engine. People often use toilet paper rolls and paper kitchen towel rolls for the filter medium. As bizarre as this might sound, these also have been researched and you can find info on this on the web and on other sites, particularly American sites.

This is not a quaint folk remedy. These techniques are testable. There are companies, outside India and inside, that will test your oil for you for a small fee. Commercial transportation fleets often use these. You send the company a vile of your oil and they analyze it for you so that you can choose your oil and set your interval. Whether any such Indian company doing this is any good, I cannot say. Some North American companies are often trusted. In this way you may be able to accurately test your oil and your filtration system.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ysis-services/

There are options and solutions to extending synthetic oil change intervals safely. Google it, consider it carefully and arm yourself with knowledge. The data is out there.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 8th March 2017 at 04:43.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:53   #4673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have seen the change interval expressed in months on this site many times. Just to be exact, the interval should be governed primarily by distance travelled plus the conditions of the travel e.g. more frequent oil changes if the outside temp is unusually hot, the engine is stressed for long periods (mountain climbing) or the air is dust laden. Only for vehicles that are rarely used does time between oil changes become important.

Synthetic oil is a better lubricant than petroleum based oil. This has been proven and accepted for decades. It is particularly helpful in start ups where experts say 30% of all engine wear occurs. In other parts of the world people have installed secondary filtration systems in their vehicles to filter out more dirt and impurites. This allows them to extend synthetic oil changes to 30,000 kilometers. Synthetic oil does not break down chemically nearly as fast as petroleum based oil and will stay stable for long periods of time. It is dirt and impurities that still make relatively frequent oil changes necessary for synthetic, not chemical breakdown of the lubricant.

You can also simply drain your synthetic oil and gravity feed it through your own home made filter and then pour it back into your engine. People often use toilet paper rolls and paper kitchen towel rolls for the filter medium. As bizarre as this might sound, these also have been researched and you can find info on this on the web and on other sites, particularly American sites.

This is not a quaint folk remedy. These techniques are testable. There are companies, outside India and inside, that will test your oil for you for a small fee. Commercial transportation fleets often use these. You send the company a vile of your oil and they analyze it for you so that you can choose your oil and set your interval. Whether any such Indian company doing this is any good, I cannot say. Some North American companies are often trusted. In this way you may be able to accurately test your oil and your filtration system.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ysis-services/

There are options and solutions to extending synthetic oil change intervals safely. Google it, consider it carefully and arm yourself with knowledge. The data is out there.
With pure synthetic oils, it is usually the additives that are burned or used up. The base oil might not lose much of its viscosity. I have tried the cleaning oil at home process with a 7 layer paper. It took a week to filter 3 liters of oil.

But without the additives, this reused oil will not be equally effective. This used oil might work for an older, smaller, less used car for a short interval of 3-4K. If aftermarket additives can make it a better oil as before, I do not know.

European companies now recommend oils with a Higher HTHS( >3.5) and a longer drain interval of 15K. But their cars have not weathered our Indian conditions in the best health. I would still stick to 10K interval.
Old 8th March 2017, 13:02   #4674
Senior - BHPian

Guess what happens to all the motor oil drained from your sump at an oil change if you do it in a smaller garage? They'll just filter it there, sell it to auto / tata ace etc drivers who want to save money and will use recycled oil.

Far better for them if people get convinced to change oil every 4 months like one chap above was doing
Old 8th March 2017, 13:51   #4675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Whether any such Indian company doing this is any good, I cannot say...
Slightly OT:

The industrial estate where my Apache's service centre is located has one such company.

http://www.chemtechlabs.com/Testing/Oil_Analysis

They do fuel analysis and coolant analysis also, among other things.

So, if there is such a firm in Pune, my guess is there should be a decent number of labs that do this in the metros and towns/cities that are transport hubs too.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th March 2017, 09:59   #4676
BHPian

Have decided to stick to Devlac 1 this time too. But currently it is not available in the open market here at Bhubaneswar. Last time did purchase it online from 99rpm.com. Even there stock is not available. Any idea from where can I get Devlac1 4 lit/5 lit. I have checked Amazon, Flipkart & Snapdeal , but not available there too.

Edit- back in stock @ 99 rpm. Pl inform in case of other online source.
Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 11th March 2017 at 10:10.
Old 11th March 2017, 17:11   #4677
BHPian

Finally my third service is booked for April 1. Spoke to my service advisor about the oil change. He said I can use Liqui Moly but they will put a remark on the service report. I guess I have no option but to go for Castrol oils. What should I do now? Go for Magnatec 5w-30 or Edge 5w-40? Any user of Edge here who can speak about it's performance? Edge is 5w40, how will it affect the fuel economy? I expect the Brezza to run for 10k+ this year. Another way to dodge this would be to fill magnatec at the dealer and replace it outside to liqui moly. Use the drained oil for wagonr's oil change.
Old 11th March 2017, 18:13   #4678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Finally my third service is booked for April 1. Spoke to my service advisor about the oil change. He said I can use Liqui Moly but they will put a remark on the service report. I guess I have no option but to go for Castrol oils. What should I do now? Go for Magnatec 5w-30 or Edge 5w-40?
When I started using SHU in my car the service advisor agreed to use the oil but made a note of it in the service sheet, not because it wasn't allowed but to indicate to the technician he should use no other oil.

But I am sure if I had ever experienced any kind of engine issue they'd have blamed the oil and ducked the warranty. Yes, I took a risk.

Therefore, if you want retain risk free warranty cover I'd strongly recommend sticking to recommended oils during your warranty.

Quote:
Another way to dodge this would be to fill magnatec at the dealer and replace it outside to liqui moly. Use the drained oil for wagonr's oil change.
Draining from the sump and refilling in the same or other car is not recommended. Engine sumps contain metal particles and byproducts of the combustion process.

Why the desperation to try another oil? Castrol makes good oils & I'd prefer it to the Idemitsu oils that Toyota & Honda use as OEM fill. Heck, I should know. I've used Castrol products for decades in my cars and bikes as they were the best available back then. Even today I'd count them among the best oils on the market.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 21:05   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Why the desperation to try another oil? Castrol makes good oils & I'd prefer it to the Idemitsu oils that Toyota & Honda use as OEM fill. Heck, I should know. I've used Castrol products for decades in my cars and bikes as they were the best available back then. Even today I'd count them among the best oils on the market.
Are Castrol oils as good as they were before? So within castrol which one should I put for? Will edge be better than magnatec as far as fuel efficiency and engine noise is of consideration?
Old 11th March 2017, 21:17   #4680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Was the old measurement done under similar driving conditions, speed, load, weather and AC usage? 4 kmpl drop just due to the oil viscosity change i feel is on the higher side. Also effortless drive should mean engine is more free / less inertia and that should give better FE.

What were the other work done along with this?
The only major thing in the service was the suspension which has been overhauled along with change of both brake disks. The rest was just the usual injector cleaning and what not.. i did notice the technician adjusting something in the throttle body along with one saying to the other to be careful with it, yeah it doesn't fill me with confidence (btw could be wrong with the component name; but it was a cube shaped conponent with tubes n all situated beside the engine intake air filter). Earlier measurement was with very similar driving conditions actually.. Ac on 90% of the time.

Most Viewed