Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 12:17   #466
Senior - BHPian

Hate to digress from the mucho interesting discussion going on. But a rather mundane question popped up in my mind.

The consensus is the once you move upto Synthetic, you should not come down to Minerals.

Now say we run synthetic on our cars. Later when we sell it, we should ideally mention this to the prospective buyer ? If the buyer is not too into oils, the requirement for spending on synthetics may put off a prospective buyer ?

The other option is to keep mum about it (not correct IMO). In which case after the next oil change (if he/she refills with a mineral oil) the new owner may face issues.

If we sell to a dealer - I guess the input on what oil is used in the car will be pointless. I guess most dealers couldn't care less.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:43   #467
Team-BHP Support

ideally yes, should avoid reverting back. but its not 100% that issues will come up, but yes in some cases problem can occur.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:49   #468
Team-BHP Support

In the newer cars, it is not be a problem. Synthetics sold here are compatible with mineral oils. So it's upto the owner to decide whether they want to continue using synthetic or revert back to mineral oil.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:29   #469
Team-BHP Support

Another comprehensive listing: http://www.petrosilicon.com/temp/acea.cgi

Service Classifications
ACEA/CCMC European Oil Sequences for Service-Fill Oils

The ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Europèen d'Automobiles) released new European performance levels for lubricants which came into effect at the start of 1996. These new standards will replace the outdated CCMC. Sequences previously used to define European gasoline and diesel engine oil quality.

The ACEA Sequences consist of nine designations within three main categories. The three categories are Passenger Car Gasoline Engine Oil, Passenger Car Diesel Engine Oil and Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oil, known respectively as A, B and E. There are three oil performance levels within each category:- Gasoline Engines (A1-96, A2-96, A3-96), Passenger Car Diesel Engines (B1-96, B2-96, B3-96), and Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines (E1-96, E2-96, E3-96).
ACEA SEQUENCES

Passenger Car Gasoline Engine Oils:

A1-96: Similar to API SH or SJ, but with better high temperature properties. Some properties, such as high-temperaturehigh-shear (HTHS) viscosity, have maximum limits, and oils meeting A2 and A3 cannot also meet A1.

A2-96: Similar to ACEA A1, but with a higher minimum shear stability, lower evaporative loss for some viscosity grades, and a higher minimum HTHS viscosity specified for bearing protection under high temperature operating conditions. A2 lubricants cannot meet all the requirements of A1, some of which have maximum values set below the minimum value set for A2.

A3-96: Similar to ACEA A1 and A2, but with stay in grade shear stability, and tighter limits on evaporative loss and high temperature oxidation and piston varnish. A3 lubricants cannot meet all the requirements of A1, some of which have maximum values set below the minimum value set for A3. A3 lubricants automatically meet all requirements of A2.

Passenger Car Diesel Engine Oils:

B1-96: Performance beyond that of the former CCMC PD-2, with better high temperature deposit control, soot dispersancy and valve train wear protection. Some properties, such as high-temperaturehigh-shear (HTHS) viscosity, have maximum limits, and oils meeting B2 and B3 cannot also meet B1.

B2-96: Similar to ACEA B1, but with a higher shear stability, lower evaporative loss for some viscosity gardes, and a higher minimum HTHS viscosity specified for bearing protection under high temperature operating conditions. B2 lubricants cannot meet all the requirements of B1, some of which have maximum values set to below the minimum value set for B2.

B3-96: Similar to ACEA B1 and B2, but with stay in grade shear stability, and much tighter limits on evaporative loss, medium temperature dispersivity and cam wear. B3 lubricants cannot meet all the requirements of B1, some of which have maximum values set to below the minimum value set for B3. B3 lubricants automatically meet all requirements of B2.

Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oils:

E1-96: Approximately equivalent to the former CCMC D-4 and the obsolete Mercedes-Benz sheets 227.0/1 with marginal improvements in shear stability and bore polishing resistance.

E2-96: Approximately equivalent to Mercedes-Benz sheets 228.0/1, the updated MAN 270/271 and that informally described as "CCMC D-4 Plus", with marked improvements in bore polishing resistance and piston cleanliness over the former CCMC D-4. It is expected to become the OEM base requirement for heavy duty diesel engine oils.

E3-96: Essentially equivalent to the former CCMC-D5, approximately at the Mercedes-Benz 228.2/3 level. E3 does include Mack T-8 test requirements for determining dispersancy which may eliminate some former CCMC D-5 oils.
CCMC SEQUENCES

All CCMC Sequences are now obsolete

Gasoline Engines:

CCMC G-5: 1989, low viscosity specification. Performance beyond API SG level, particularly in the areas of valve train wear and high temperature sludging resistance. Restricted to 5W-xx and 10W-xx multigrades, but with severe HTHS requirements. As well, CCMC G-5 has a stringent evaporative loss requirement, more stringent than ILSAC GF-1.

CCMC G-4: 1989, normal viscosity specification. Performance beyond API SG level, particularly in the areas of valve train wear and high temperature sludging resistance.

CCMC G-3: 1984, higher performance, low viscosity specification. Approximately equivalent to API SF/CC plus European tests.

CCMC G-2: 1984, higher performance, normal viscosity specification. Approximately equivalent to SPI SF plus European tests.

CCMC G-1: 1984, normal performance, normal viscosity specification. Approximately equivalent to API SE plus European tests.

Passenger Car Diesel Engines:

CCMC PD-2: 1989, diesel passenger cars. Better protection against ring-sticking and valve train wear relative to CCMC PD-1.

CCMC PD-1: 1984, diesel passenger cars. Performance well beyond MIL-L-2104C minimum, with particular emphasis on ring sticking prevention.

Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines:

CCMC D-5: 1989, commercial vehicle, extra heavy-duty operation. Bore polishing protection beyond that required for CCMC D-3, plus improved soot dispersancy and valve train wear protection. Generally accpeted as the level of performance for a Super High Performance Diesel (SHDP) engine oil.

CCMC D-4: 1989, commercial vehicle, heavy-duty operation. Performance well beyond CCMC D-2 minimum, with emphasis on bore polishing protection, soot dispersancy and valve train wear protection.

CCMC D-3: 1984, naturally aspirated and turbocharged, extra heavy-duty operation. Performance well beyond MIL-L-2104C diesel minimum, with particular emphasis on bore polishing protection.

CCMC D-2: 1984, naturally aspirated and turbocharged, heavy-duty operation. Approximately equivalent to MIL-L-2104C (API CD/SD) plus European tests.

CCMC D-1: 1984, naturally aspirated, light-duty operation. Approximately equivalent to MIL-L-46152A (API CC/SE) plus European tests.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:48   #470
Team-BHP Support

That classification is not updated. There is a B4 and B5 now which are more recent.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:43   #471
Senior - BHPian

Due to a communication gap, my mech drained my 2000 kms old Synthetic oil from the ikon and filled up mineral oil at the 69,000 km mark. I just replaced it with Magnatec 10W40 at 76000 kms.
Touch wood, Im not having any leaks.Lets wait and see.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:25   #472
BHPian

Oil for viva

I have an Accent Viva(Petrol) and intend to use Synthetic oil in my car.My car is due for service next week and here are some queries i wanted to ask,

1)My car has run only 6k kms in 1 year,Is it safe to use Synthetic oil at this stage?

2)If i use synthetic oil what will be the oil change period as The car clocks very few kms in a year?

3)If yes Which Brand should i opt for?

Replies Awaited.
Old 10th July 2007, 21:59   #473
Team-BHP Support

For your kind of usage, I think you can put in a long drain synthetic oil(the box will say 15000 miles).
You can put this once a year.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:52   #474
BHPian

I am confused whether to go for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge in my Santro which has clocked 75,000 kms.
Pls advise.
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah
Old 11th July 2007, 10:55   #475
BHPian

got my cars oil changed to shell helix ultra(15w50),a few doubts is it necessary to flush again at the next oil change in the following conditions
1)same oil from the same company
2)same oil but from different company

p.s the engine really feels smooth i am just loving it
Old 11th July 2007, 11:07   #476
Team-BHP Support

No need to flush each time you change your oil. If switching from mineral to synthetic, yes. If otherwise, then it's not really needed.
Old 11th July 2007, 11:22   #477
Senior - BHPian

[QUOTEdrabhay]I am confused whether to go for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge in my Santro which has clocked 75,000 kms.
Pls advise.[/quote]
Everyone here has used Mobil1 and swear by it.
Castrol Edge is widely used in Europe and is good VFM. In Chennai, Mobil1 costs Rs.800 per litre while EDGE costs Rs.560 per litre.
Go ahead and try EDGE and let us know ur experience.
Old 11th July 2007, 11:32   #478
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To add to what Rtech said, you can use engine flush only once in 30000kms (extreme use) - 50000 kms (regular use).
Old 11th July 2007, 13:49   #479
BHPian

in mumbai do u get shell? or mobile 1 is the best buy? which one is most suitable i mean which grade got a corolla
Old 11th July 2007, 14:07   #480
BHPian

yeah we do get shell in mumbai got it just yesterday i think both are equally good and similiarly priced

Most Viewed