Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 14:29   #4996
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 333
Thanked: 572 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

SN/CF doesn't matter as long as it is complaint to ACEA A3/B4 which it is. My Gi10 Diesel user manual specifies CH-4 or B4 as a minimum. It's difficult or rather impossible to source a fully synthetic CH-4 in India. So, went with B4, which is what the HASS guys also use for their optional synthetic oil.
chaudh2s is offline  
Old 4th October 2018, 14:36   #4997
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
SN/CF doesn't matter as long as it is complaint to ACEA A3/B4 which it is. My Gi10 Diesel user manual specifies CH-4 or B4 as a minimum. It's difficult or rather impossible to source a fully synthetic CH-4 in India. So, went with B4, which is what the HASS guys also use for their optional synthetic oil.
Fully synthetic CI4 is available in Mobil Delvac and Amsoil has fully synthetic CK4 rated oil.

Also if your manual specifies at least CH4 you're better off using a mineral CH4 and changing more frequently than you would be using a synthetic CF

Anyway you do have synthetic diesel oils of better than the required spec..

Last edited by hserus : 4th October 2018 at 14:38.
hserus is online now  
Old 4th October 2018, 20:16   #4998
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,511
Thanked: 3,699 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I am of the opinion that semi-synth is good for 7500 Kms. But Tata Nexon uses semi-synth (Mobil/Castrol/Petronas) and has a 15,000 Kms drain period. This has left me perplexed. Even on all Nexon forums, this question keeps popping up. The dealers refuse to use fully synthetic and insist on Company mentioned drain period.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Those are Semi-Synthetic oils which will last at most 7500 km. And while you can run full synthetics for longer drain intervals you had better not. Change at 10-11k.
Sebring is online now  
Old 4th October 2018, 20:53   #4999
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I am of the opinion that semi-synth is good for 7500 Kms. But Tata Nexon uses semi-synth (Mobil/Castrol/Petronas) and has a 15,000 Kms drain period. This has left me perplexed. Even on all Nexon forums, this question keeps popping up. The dealers refuse to use fully synthetic and insist on Company mentioned drain period.
Cabbies hate changing oil early. And want cheap oil. Dealers get a good margin from oil sales and will resist attempts to bring your own oil. So, Tata cars belching black smoke due to overly old oil and sludgy engines is going to be a regular sight.

Just run the Tata semi synthetic for about 5k km and then fill with fully synthetic for the remaining 10k you can do this at any garage you like. Change the aircon filter as well.

Last edited by hserus : 4th October 2018 at 21:05.
hserus is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 00:31   #5000
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default

I have a query and hope to get it answered by experts here. My Pajero SFX 2.8 has 10w30 API classification CD mentioned in the owners manual. Does it make any sense to use synthetic oil for my vehicle. The engine has done 1L kms and I have changed oil at every 5k kms throughout till now. I used Mobil Super 10w30 till about 60K kms and then switched to Agip 5w30. Haven't ever seen a marked difference in engine smoothness or fuel efficiency between the two oils. The Agip however remains smooth for longer and even at 5k kms when I change it the engine is pretty smooth.

Now my question is whether such old school engines (IDI) would benefit from the use of synthetic oil.

Secondly is it even safe to use synthetic now when the engine is at 1L kms.

Having said that the engine does seem to be in excellent shape and the vehicle pulls like a train, there is no oil consumption, starts in half self and there is no smoke whatsoever.

Experts please provide your thoughts.
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 08:49   #5001
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I have a query and hope to get it answered by experts here. My Pajero SFX 2.8 has 10w30 API classification CD mentioned in the owners manual. Does it make any sense to use synthetic oil for my vehicle. The engine has done 1L kms and I have changed oil at every 5k kms throughout till now.
CD is a really old classification. Just use a good mineral diesel oil like Shell Rimula T5 which comes in 10W30 and is CI4 (so 5 standards above CD .. the latest is CK but the only CK around is Synthetic).

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Rimula-T...s=10w30+diesel

Don't buy engine oils on Amazon, they try to ship them by air and it is chaos.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 09:27   #5002
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
CD is a really old classification. Just use a good mineral diesel oil like Shell Rimula T5 which comes in 10W30 and is CI4 (so 5 standards above CD .. the latest is CK but the only CK around is Synthetic).

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Rimula-T...s=10w30+diesel

Don't buy engine oils on Amazon, they try to ship them by air and it is chaos.
Thanks for your inputs. So synthetic would not really be of any use in such a scenario?
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 09:34   #5003
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks for your inputs. So synthetic would not really be of any use in such a scenario?
A good diesel synthetic won't do any harm. You can surely try it.

However there's currently no good 5w30 diesel out there in the market. Only 5w40 weight ones.

5w30 oils dedicated to Diesel exist but I don't see them available in India. The usual brands are Amsoil 5w30 (they currently have a 5w30 but it is better for petrol cars), Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella
hserus is online now  
Old 5th October 2018, 09:41   #5004
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A good diesel synthetic won't do any harm. You can surely try it.

However there's currently no good 5w30 diesel out there in the market. Only 5w40 weight ones.

5w30 oils dedicated to Diesel exist but I don't see them available in India. The usual brands are Amsoil 5w30 (they currently have a 5w30 but it is better for petrol cars), Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella
Thanks a lot. I will try to get the oil you mentioned. I religiously change the oil at 5k in any case and will increase the interval if I find synthetic someday. Thanks once again.
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 10:20   #5005
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks a lot. I will try to get the oil you mentioned. I religiously change the oil at 5k in any case and will increase the interval if I find synthetic someday. Thanks once again.
Just get the Rimula 10W30 - you should be able to push it a bit beyond 5K with this oil. Anyway it will be a vast improvement over the oils you mention.

But wait, you said you got AGIP 5w30? That's full synthetic. Where'd you procure it from, I haven't seen it in the Indian market?

Is it this one? A decent CJ4 diesel 5w30. https://www.transdiesel.com/app_docs...E%205W-30).pdf
hserus is online now  
Old 5th October 2018, 10:43   #5006
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just get the Rimula 10W30 - you should be able to push it a bit beyond 5K with this oil. Anyway it will be a vast improvement over the oils you mention.

But wait, you said you got AGIP 5w30? That's full synthetic. Where'd you procure it from, I haven't seen it in the Indian market?

Is it this one? A decent CJ4 diesel 5w30. https://www.transdiesel.com/app_docs...E%205W-30).pdf
Agip 5w30 is available here for about 2 years now. I procure it directly from their distributor Orion Motors in Bangalore. The box definitely says its Synthetic but I am not sure if it is a hybrid or fully pure synthetic. It is also listed on their site at the following URL. http://www.aparlubricants.com/?page_id=222

The product is called i-Sint Levo IN, Sae 5w30 API SM/CF.
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 10:52   #5007
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Agip 5w30 is available here for about 2 years now. I procure it directly from their distributor Orion Motors in Bangalore. The box definitely says its Synthetic but I am not sure if it is a hybrid or fully pure synthetic. It is also listed on their site at the following URL. http://www.aparlubricants.com/?page_id=222

The product is called i-Sint Levo IN, Sae 5w30 API SM/CF.
That is a generic if older petrol + diesel type oil, SM/CF (the S series of standards are petrol and C are diesel, for Spark and Compression engines)

As your car requires CD this should be quite adequate and last closer to 10k (though check at around 7500 or so).

This is superb though it is a 15w40 - and dedicated diesel spec.

I wouldn't use it though given you need a 10w30 oil so the 5w30 should work. Else plenty of other 5w30 petrol / diesel type oils in Shell, Mobil etc. Use any of them.

i-Sigma Performance Synthetic IN
SAE 15W-40 API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF MB 228.3 , MTU Type 2 Volvo VDS-3, Caterpillar ECF-1-a/ECF-2 Cummins 20076/77/78
hserus is online now  
Old 6th October 2018, 18:24   #5008
BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 863
Thanked: 1,844 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I have a query and hope to get it answered by experts here. My Pajero SFX 2.8 has 10w30 API classification CD mentioned in the owners manual. Does it make any sense to use synthetic oil for my vehicle. The engine has done 1L kms and I have changed oil at every 5k kms throughout till now. I used Mobil Super 10w30 till about 60K kms and then switched to Agip 5w30. Haven't ever seen a marked difference in engine smoothness or fuel efficiency between the two oils. The Agip however remains smooth for longer and even at 5k kms when I change it the engine is pretty smooth.

Now my question is whether such old school engines (IDI) would benefit from the use of synthetic oil.

Secondly is it even safe to use synthetic now when the engine is at 1L kms.

Having said that the engine does seem to be in excellent shape and the vehicle pulls like a train, there is no oil consumption, starts in half self and there is no smoke whatsoever.

Experts please provide your thoughts.
Hello Traveler,

If your oil change interval is 5K Kms, Its better to use whatever the manufacturer recommends, its not a high drain interval and they would have taken ownership costs into account (dont that engine need a lot of oil?) while suggesting the oil grade and brand, stick to it and you should be good.

A big engine like that is hardly awake for most of the driving that we do, not much strain and thats a good thing.

Synthetics and Semi synthetics are appropriate for longer drain intervals (20K).

I have observed that manufactures design the service intervals in a way that along with oil change a bunch of other inspections \ replacements \ adjustments will also be scheduled, changing oil change intervals would mean that you may miss out on these as well.

A shorter drain period like this can in fact make the car last a lot longer, it gets periodically inspected as well.

I know of people who change to synthetics and then refuse to service the car as per schedule because the synthetic is supposed to last longer. Keep it simple.

Hope this helps.
Kosfactor is offline  
Old 6th October 2018, 18:44   #5009
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Use a better grade of mineral by all means and still change at 5k kilometers. It won't hurt your car for sure. Of course regular inspections and service as per maintenance cycles are necessary.
hserus is online now  
Old 6th October 2018, 19:40   #5010
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default

I guess i will stick to mineral only and keep the 5k interval only. Thats what i have been following till date as well. Agip 5w30 seems to be doing a good job.
Traveler is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks