Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 08:31   #5296
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Yeah good luck! You will definitely need to change the oil filter and topup the oil that is lost when the filter is unscrewed.

Check the oil at 10K intervals as well as engine smoothness and take a call on when you need to make the next oil change. If your drain interval is shorter then the regular 5w40 Turbo Truck from Amsoil should work best for you cost wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
After changing the Engine oil to Fully Synthetic Amsoil 5W-40 Max Duty in my Scorpio Sle, I have now completed 1000 KMs with it. Engine seems to be much more planted, a bit more silent and smooth.

Even though the max duty variant from Amsoil claims to have drain intervals in the range of 40K, my plan is to check it during every 10K service and decide to change it as need be. Let me see how it goes. My next service is major 1 Lakh KM service.

Thanks to this Team BHP thread and @hserus mainly, I got a good advise to get the right specifications and got it in time of the service.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 09:30   #5297
BHPian

I recently got my sx4 ddis oil changed to Amsoil 5w40,it says 4x times protection on the container and my initial impressions are of the engine being way more silent, the clatter seems to have reduced quite a bit.
I normally follow the drain interval of 5.5 to 6k max as my car also runs a remap and considering the low cost of oil's available on offer most of the time on amazon etc i prefer an early change rather then drag it to 10k kilometers. Prior to this oil from amsoil i was using 5w40 motul 8100 excess and was quite satisfied with it as well.

I am now waiting to see how this oil feels post 5k kilometers and then accordingly take a call.I am quite happy and satisfied with amsoil range of products,they seem top notch and so far have had no complains with any of the stuff i have used.
scorpian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 09:37   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
After changing the Engine oil to Fully Synthetic Amsoil 5W-40 Max Duty in my Scorpio Sle, I have now completed 1000 KMs with it. Engine seems to be much more planted, a bit more silent and smooth.

Even though the max duty variant from Amsoil claims to have drain intervals in the range of 40K, my plan is to check it during every 10K service and decide to change it as need be.

I'm using the same in my Terrano. After shifting I did first change at 15000 km, and the next after an interval of 20000km.
I sent a sample of both for a lab test, oil was still good, but had collected some amount of dust. I'm sticking to 20K oil change in spite of the 40K recommendation. I clean the air cleaner at 5K interval, and replace both air cleaner and oil filter at 10K interval.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 12:32   #5299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I recently got my sx4 ddis oil changed to Amsoil 5w40,it says 4x times protection on the container and my initial impressions are of the engine being way more silent, the clatter seems to have reduced quite a bit.
===
I am quite happy and satisfied with amsoil range of products,they seem top notch and so far have had no complains with any of the stuff i have used.
I’m SO glad you made the switch and highly recommend you add the Cetane Boost as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I'm using the same in my Terrano.
====
recommendation. I clean the air cleaner at 5K interval, and replace both air cleaner and oil filter at 10K interval.

Rahul
Can you pls share which lab and how much it costs for testing? TIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The distributors who are out of town generally don't deliver ..
======
E: Cs1.amb@greavescotton.com
T: 02067308204
Sir, Bhuvan has moved on from GC. Mr. Ajit has taken his place.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th June 2019 at 14:19. Reason: Back to back posts and trimming quoted text. Thanks.
Old 24th June 2019, 13:38   #5300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Can you pls share which lab and how much it costs for testing?

My dad retired from an industrial oil manufacturing company, and we still have contacts there, my testing was through them.

I know a fact that many long distance transport operators test oils and decide their oil change intervals accordingly.
They use service of Chem tech in https://chemtechlabs.com 020 24228020, or Atlas in Vashi http://lube-oil.in .
Note that route dependent testing may work economical for a truck or bus on captive route, not for a car that goes any where.
A bus operator may see oil deteriorated in only 40000 km when the bus does a route like three trips (150km X 3 = 450km) a day between Pune and Ranjangao MIDC daily, where as another bus of same model that does a overnight Pune Bangalore may have the oil in good condition even after a lakh km. Tata and AL both recommend a 90 day 60,000 km change interval whereas Volvo, Scania etc recommend a 120 day 100,000 km change interval.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 13:56   #5301
BHPian

Quote:
My dad retired from an industrial oil manufacturing company, and we still have contacts there, my testing was through them.

I know a fact that many long distance transport operators test oils and decide their oil change intervals accordingly.
They use service of Chem tech in https://chemtechlabs.com 020 24228020, or Atlas in Vashi http://lube-oil.in .
Note that route dependent testing may work economical for a truck or bus on captive route, not for a car that goes any where.
A bus operator may see oil deteriorated in only 40000 km when the bus does a route like three trips (150km X 3 = 450km) a day between Pune and Ranjangao MIDC daily, where as another bus of same model that does a overnight Pune Bangalore may have the oil in good condition even after a lakh km. Tata and AL both recommend a 90 day 60,000 km change interval whereas Volvo, Scania etc recommend a 120 day 100,000 km change interval.

Rahul
Wow, thanks so much for this. How much does it cost typically!
Old 24th June 2019, 15:19   #5302
Senior - BHPian

@coolmel
I did not have to pay so I'm not sure of the total charge. A bus owner I know has a package of Rs 4000 / bus per year, where he sends a sample every 3 - 4 months.
You have to ask them to courier a empty sample bottle, as some of the oil contents strip ingredients of plastic and contaminate themselves.
A general test to just prolong change interval can be sent in a glass bottle.

Lastly the lab report will tell you that oil is contaminated, and other than that has 99% of all its properties intact, it is good enough to refine and use again.
It will not be very long in that future that is if IC engines exist, that oil change will not be required at all, just refining and reuse will be a service job.

World wide some railways have started with onboard refining arrangement, and a 4 year million mile change interval.
http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/1,000,000%20MILES.htm

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 24th June 2019 at 15:25.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 17:01   #5303
BHPian

Quote:
@coolmel
I did not have to pay so I'm not sure of the total charge. A bus owner I know has a package of Rs 4000 / bus per year, where he sends a sample every 3 - 4 months.
You have to ask them to courier a empty sample bottle, as some of the oil contents strip ingredients of plastic and contaminate themselves.
A general test to just prolong change interval can be sent in a glass bottle.

Lastly the lab report will tell you that oil is contaminated, and other than that has 99% of all its properties intact, it is good enough to refine and use again.
It will not be very long in that future that is if IC engines exist, that oil change will not be required at all, just refining and reuse will be a service job.

World wide some railways have started with onboard refining arrangement, and a 4 year million mile change interval.
http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/1,000,000%20MILES.htm

Rahul
Thanks again Rahul. Appreciate it. I do foresee a future where oil change would be history. Let’s make the most of it while it’s around.
Old 24th June 2019, 18:01   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Sir, Bhuvan has moved on from GC. Mr. Ajit has taken his place.
Thanks I didn't know that. Another Greaves employee more directly involved in distribution is Ms.Prajakta 98811 51722 and you can contact her.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 20:06   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks I didn't know that. Another Greaves employee more directly involved in distribution is Ms.Prajakta 98811 51722 and you can contact her.
Already in touch, we know each other very well. And I know their distributors well too. Well connected and if not, good friends.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 06:33   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many trucks and buses in the USA have what is called a bypass filter along with their regular oil filter. The gulf coast link you sent is one such vendor.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ass-filtration

In India too there are several vendors who sell engine / gear / marine lube etc oil filtration machines where the oil is drained and passed through the machine before refilling.

http://www.klaroloilcleaningsystems.net/ for example.
Old 29th June 2019, 09:33   #5307
Senior - BHPian

What is the difference between Amsoil and other fully synthetic oils such as Shell, Mobil etc? Do they use some proprietary synthetic base oil to which the others don't have access?
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 09:38   #5308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Do they use some proprietary synthetic base oil to which the others don't have access?
All synthetic oils are proprietary formulations. The amount and type of additives as also trade secrets.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 13:52   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
All synthetic oils are proprietary formulations. The amount and type of additives as also trade secrets.
The amsoil quality difference is more likely explained by additional additives. All things are more or less equal for base stocks and if any oil vendor uses 100% pao they will most likely tell us very prominently on their packaging and ads.
Old 30th June 2019, 10:26   #5310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you buy on GP Road you can get more or less similar rates to Amazon, and you can also get hold of oil / air / AC filters as well.

Try this place - VMS Oil Distributors opposite Jayaprada Theater on GP Road. Several Chennai BHPians use it, and the shop owner knows his stuff. 91766 97900.
I got three one lire packs of Helix Ultra from them @ Rs 750.00 each for the car and another litre @ Rs 600.00 for the bike. These will be used during the oil change next month. I bought them out of curiosity, to see if it really makes a difference. I was reluctant to buy @ Rs 1250 a litre earlier, because of my low car usage and an annual oil change must be done anyway, even if it is synthetic oil.

I don't intend to use any engine flush. The car has 32k km on the odo. And if no appreciable difference is felt, will go back to Shell Helix Hx 7 from the subsequent oil change, but will henceforth source it from the VMS people.

Most Viewed