Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 23:50   #5446
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I am sorry if this question has been answered here even though I have tried to look but couldn't find the answers to. I have the 2018 EcoSport 1.5 Diesel Titanium+ and am looking to get the Engine Oil changed at my FNG as I don't trust the ASC anymore. I want to go synthetic. As per the Owner's Manual, it needs 3.8 Litres of Engine Oil which meets the SAE 5W-30, WSS-M2C913-D Specification. The manual also specifies SAE 5W-20, WSS-M2C948-B Specification. This confuses me but I'll let experts here handle this.

I am based out of Shillong where the minimum temperature does not go below 2°C and the maximum may just go around 28°C. Its all hilly terrain.

Which synthetic engine oil should I go for? I don't mind procuring the same from Amazon if I can get the genuine product if my automobile parts supplier cannot get it for me.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:22   #5447
Senior - BHPian

Did you try to search previous posts in this this thread that mention which oil fits that ford spec? Or search for that spec on amazon?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 22:53   #5448
BHPian

Dear @hserus, I have another query and I am sure you can help me.

I also have the 2016 (facelifted) Chevrolet Cruze Automatic and it is due for an oil change. As per the User's Manual, it needs 5.4L of 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4 Engine Oil. It also states that:
Quote:
Topping up engine oil
Only use 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4 Engine
oil.
Use of ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 engine
oil is expressly forbidden, since they can
cause long-term engine damage under
certain operating conditions.
Can you please suggest which Synthetic Engine Oil I should get for it? This is my wife's car and she simply adores it so it needs to be in perfect shape and we have no plans to sell it, ever.

PS: If possible, please give me a like to procure it online, if possible, along with the Engine Oil Filter for the Cruze.

PPS: I got the Mobil Super 3000 1x for the EcoSport. Plan to get the same for the Endeavour and get done with it.

Thanks in advance.
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-pages-chevroletindiaownermanualcruze282880862_page_1.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-pages-chevroletindiaownermanualcruze282880862_page_2.jpg

Last edited by SumitB : 27th January 2020 at 23:19.
Old 28th January 2020, 07:01   #5449
Senior - BHPian

Shell hx8 5w30 is a3/b4, I am sure you can get Cruze filters off boodmo.com

Mobil super 3000 with the Ford spec should be fine for your Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Dear @hserus, I have another query and I am sure you can help me.

PPS: I got the Mobil Super 3000 1x for the EcoSport. Plan to get the same for the Endeavour and get done with it.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:23   #5450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Shell hx8 5w30 is a3/b4, I am sure you can get Cruze filters off boodmo.com

Mobil super 3000 with the Ford spec should be fine for your Endeavor
Thank You! Can I order hx8 from Amazon India? My supplier does not have this one. However, a few reviews on Amazon indicate that the oil may be duplicate and this is what worries me!
Old 28th January 2020, 09:54   #5451
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You! Can I order hx8 from Amazon India? My supplier does not have this one. However, a few reviews on Amazon indicate that the oil may be duplicate and this is what worries me!
You need not worry as long as the seller is cloudtail india. At times it may be a little expensive compared to other sellers. For other products fulfilled by amazon is good enough but, for engine oil I do this.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 10:58   #5452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a very common oil and should be available, check another oil shop or a shell petrol pump. Or if cloudtail on amazon / ws retail on flip kart are the sellers then go for it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:14   #5453
BHPian

Dear All,

I've an elite i20 CRDi (2017 model) and have used shell synthetic oil since the 20k service internal and now the car has run 48k. I change every 10k as per the recommendation in the owners manual. Since the 50k service is coming up, I'm having an itch in my brain about switching to mineral oil and then changing the oil every 5k. I checked with my Hyundai SA and he said I can do that and it would not affect my warranty.

Could you please let me know if this is a good idea (not from a warranty stand point but in general for the engine). My daily running is 60kms in city in Namma Bengaluru traffic.

Regards,
Dhananjay
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:35   #5454
Senior - BHPian

I20 diesels before 2018 actually ask you to use CH4 or later engine oil. You can get a good synthetic Diesel engine oil like Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil 5w40 and use that, or use any good CI4+ or higher mineral oil like Shell Rimula R4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Dear All,

I've an elite i20 CRDi (2017 model) and have used shell synthetic oil since the 20k service internal and now the car has run 48k. I change every 10k as per the recommendation in the owners manual. Since the 50k service is coming up, I'm having an itch in my brain about switching to mineral oil and then changing the oil every 5k. I checked with my Hyundai SA and he said I can do that and it would not affect my warranty.

Could you please let me know if this is a good idea (not from a warranty stand point but in general for the engine). My daily running is 60kms in city in Namma Bengaluru traffic.

Regards,
Dhananjay
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:39   #5455
BHPian

Quote:
I20 diesels before 2018 actually ask you to use CH4 or later engine oil. You can get a good synthetic Diesel engine oil like Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil 5w40 and use that, or use any good CI4+ or higher mineral oil like Shell Rimula R4
Thank you sir. If I choose to go for the mineral oil that you suggested, should I keep the drain interval the same @10k or should I change it to 5k?
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:33   #5456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir. If I choose to go for the mineral oil that you suggested, should I keep the drain interval the same @10k or should I change it to 5k?
Depends on city or highway driving. You should be able to stretch it to 7k-8k km before a change, easily.
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:59   #5457
BHPian

In the states I used AMAZON BASICS synthetic oil and it was great while being cheap. I hope they introduce the same here. For sure mineral oils are missed less and less.
ajaiD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:14   #5458
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on city or highway driving. You should be able to stretch it to 7k-8k km before a change, easily.
Thank you again. Could you please give advice on this oil?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20200203181829.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2020, 22:35   #5459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea about it I am sorry, seen it but it doesn’t match the spec for my cars so I’ve never used it.

Given a small Hyundai Diesel engine just go with Shell Helix HX8 5w30 and be happy, never mind filling mineral oil.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:09   #5460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This won't suit i20 Diesel.

Like hserus said earlier, stick to Rimula R4/Delvac MX if you want mineral. They meet the API requirement of pre 2018 hyundai diesels and are among the best in mineral oils. I am currently running on Rimula R4 in my 2010 i20 after running it on Delvac 1 for nearly 1 lakh kms.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks