Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 07:38   #5551
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
Hello Everyone,
Would like to bring to everyone's notice that there's another International brand that brought it's products to India. It's Rowe Lubricants.
From the website it seems like they have specific brand approvals such as VW and BMW.
They also offer very new grades such as 0W-20 and 0W-16. Another thing that they offer is the 75W-80 GL4/5 grade Transmission Oil which is quite difficult to source in India.
Seems to be a small manufacturer with several boutique products racing oils etc. Popular in Germany.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...bout-it.98416/

75w85 (Zic for example) and 80w90 synthetic gear oils are quite commonly available in India. 75w80 is a pretty specific grade of GL4, what cars specify it?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 00:57   #5552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
75w85 (Zic for example) and 80w90 synthetic gear oils are quite commonly available in India. 75w80 is a pretty specific grade of GL4, what cars specify it?
Maruti Suzuki recommends 75W80 gear oil for almost all of it's cars which came after 2014. Mine is 2015 model with the same recommendation. I'm not sure of other brand cars that might be using the same oil.

Here are some screenshots:-
From WagonR's owner manual-

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-gear-oil.png

From Swift's Manual:-

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-swift-gear-oil.png

Even the diesel specific cars such as S-Cross uses the same gear oil, even for the 6 speed 1.6.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-scross.png

As far as i remember all the cars launched before 2014 period required 75W90. I think this has been done in the interest of fuel economy. Surely they are squeezing out maximum efficiency from their engine+gearboxes.
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 01:31   #5553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post

From Swift's Manual:-

Attachment 2039251
I change my swift's gear oil every alternate service. I've been using Mobilube GX 80W90. Everything's been smooth sailing till now. The car has covered 70k, will do next gear oil change at 80k.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 7th August 2020 at 01:32.
Old 7th August 2020, 04:33   #5554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I change my swift's gear oil every alternate service. I've been using Mobilube GX 80W90. Everything's been smooth sailing till now. The car has covered 70k, will do next gear oil change at 80k.
You might be better advised to stick with a 75w85 but that probably won’t be of very much use unless you take your car to cold climates.
Old 7th August 2020, 09:55   #5555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I change my swift's gear oil every alternate service.
For me one service equals one year because of low (<5k km) usage. I was regularly doing an engine oil + oil filter change every service, and coolant + gear oil change every alternate service. But starting from 2017, MSM informed me the gear oil needs to be changed only once in four years / 40,000 kms as per directive from Maruti. I told them to change it anyway during the 2019 service but they insisted it is not necessary and the next change can be done in 2021. The oil used was MGO 75W90.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th August 2020 at 15:39. Reason: As requested.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:55   #5556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But starting from 2017, MSM informed me the gear oil needs to be changed only once in four years / 40,000 kms as per directive from Maruti. I told them to change it anyway during the 2019 service but they insisted it is not necessary and the next change can be done in 2021. The oil used was MGO 75W90.
Is that because they changed something in the new OE oil or even the older fill is now good for 40,000 KM?

One good thing about using authorized service centers is updates like this.
Old 7th August 2020, 16:30   #5557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Is that because they changed something in the new OE oil or even the older fill is now good for 40,000 KM?

One good thing about using authorized service centers is updates like this.
They moved from a mineral to a synthetic formulation is all. A high quality mineral gearbox oil like Mobilube GX or Shell Spirax should be more than enough especially for older Maruti engines, despite their changing the spec across the board.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:10   #5558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
They moved from a mineral to a synthetic formulation is all.
Correct. They said it is because the MGO was now synthetic, hence the increased interval.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:29   #5559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They moved from a mineral to a synthetic formulation is all. A high quality mineral gearbox oil like Mobilube GX or Shell Spirax should be more than enough especially for older Maruti engines, despite their changing the spec across the board.
Makes sense, also a plus side of servicing at authorized service centers as well as T-BHP , we get to know

Quote:
Correct. They said it is because the MGO was now synthetic, hence the increased interval.
So the technicians have to check what was filled last time through service records and decide whether to change or retain the current oil. You made the right choice by changing it anyway this time.
Old 7th August 2020, 17:36   #5560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the technicians have to check what was filled last time through service records and decide whether to change or retain the current oil.
Not really. There is a choice of semi synth / Synth only for engine oil, none for transmission oil. They know by default only synthetic is used from a given date.
And I changed only the coolant during 2019 service, not transmission oil. It was not changed during the service done last month also, will be changed only next July, along with coolant.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 23:02   #5561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. There is a choice of semi synth / Synth only for engine oil, none for transmission oil. They know by default only synthetic is used from a given date.
And I changed only the coolant during 2019 service, not transmission oil. It was not changed during the service done last month also, will be changed only next July, along with coolant.
I got my Corolla Altis' tranny oil manual changed after 10 years in 2018 with Liqui Moly 75W-90 GL4+ synthetic and then again in early 2020 with Toyota's GL4 OEM GB oil which is a lifetime fill and 2-3x more expensive. I am not sure whether the oil is straight mineral or semi or pure synthetic. What it does offer me is peace of mind that the GB is good for another 200,000 km should I choose to retain this car.

GB oil is an infrequent service requirement. Stick to OEM specs and recommendations.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 09:23   #5562
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the oil TKM uses for its "lifetime" GB fills in most vehicles, made in Japan. LV = for "Light Vehicles"
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-lv75.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th August 2020 at 09:25.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 10:20   #5563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This is the oil TKM uses for its "lifetime" GB fills in most vehicles, made in Japan. LV = for "Light Vehicles"
Whenever I hear lifetime fills, life time sealed automatic gearbox, maintenance free battery, frictionless bearing, lifetime grease etc what comes to my mind is this.

Instead of changing the oil, now your gearbox will fail at X,00,000 km and you can throw it away as a consumable. Of course most buyers will never reach that milestone, so no worries.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 11:32   #5564
BHPian

Something I forgot to mention, My car's service booklet ACTUALLY says to change Transmission Fluid every 20,000 kms, that's why I change it.

One should always follow company recommendations.

Similar goes on for coolants, my service booklet recommends full flush every 50,000 kms while Honda cars' coolants last lifetime or 200,000 kms (not sure).

It totally depends on the quality of fluid being used by the service stations which is governed by the company itself.

Something I might be doing wrong though is that I am using Mobilube rather than MGO, even the retailer suggested not to change it before 40,000 kms but I do it as a preventive measure.

Stick to service booklet or service manager's advice.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 8th August 2020 at 11:35.
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 11:40   #5565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever I hear lifetime fills, life time sealed automatic gearbox, maintenance free battery, frictionless bearing, lifetime grease etc what comes to my mind is this. Instead of changing the oil, now your gearbox will fail at X,00,000 km and you can throw it away as a consumable. Of course most buyers will never reach that milestone, so no worries.
At least in Toyota's case the manual trannies actually have lifetime fills. No change required even with vehicles that have done several lakhs of kms. Per the ASC, TKM advises to change the oil only in case of repairs OR simply top up. It never requires changing.

However, there are different requirements for Toyota automatic transmissions with clear instructions to change oil every 100,000 miles/160,000 km.

The word "lifetime" and "maintenance free" are misnomers and used mostly to misguide the public. For the layman these words give him peace of mind.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks