Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 17:31   #5626
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Friends, I wanted to try Amsoil Fully Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil and enquired a Greaves distributor in Bangalore for Amsoil Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil and he rather suggested two options, both with quite high prices.

Signature Series 5W-40 (1 gallon or 3.78 Liters)

I am looking to replace engine oil for Xylo mk 2010 mEagle, 2.5 liters CRDI Engine. Capacity of engine oil required is usually around 6.5 Liters.
.
Your Xylo will run fine on 5w40 turbo truck which is different from the signature series 5w40

Turbo truck is rated api ck4 and will do very well with your Xylo
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:02   #5627
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,009
Thanked: 4,626 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Signature Series 5W-40 (1 gallon or 3.78 Liters)

Queries:
1) Is Amsoil Signature Series SAE 5W-40 provide CK4 recommended grade ?
2) Is Amsoil Signature Series worth buying at this rate (roughly 5200/- per 5 liters, vs Delvac1 at < 5000 per 5 liters)?
3) Is Amsoil Turbo Truck a worthwhile engine oil for MPVs?
Amsoil Signature is 5W-30 and is recommended for petrol engines only. It does not meet API CF or higher for diesels. Please stick to diesel specific oil for your diesel vehicles. Amsoil turbo truck will be a better fit. Delvac is another choice and for a minor difference of Rs 200 between Amsoil and Delvac it's only comes down to a matter of personal choice. My vote will be for the amsoil product and if you cannot get it then opt for Delvac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Our 423 K run Qualis runs better on 15w-40 instead of 5W-30. Also a mechanic at TASS and few FNG mechanics mentioned that 15W-40 mineral oil is better for older engines, as they are much thicker and can operate well at higher temperatures. Just sharing my first hand information, I'm not sure how true this is though! After using 5W-30 I see consumption of oil (due to older engine) is a little higher, but after switching back to 15W-40, I did not find any additional consumption of oil. Only gripe here is engine runs little rough during cold starts, but after attaining optimal temperature, it runs smooth.
Yes, they are right, for old high mileage vehicles xW-40, or even 20W-50 in extreme cases, is recommended. xW-30 will result in oil consumption. Please stick to xW-40. Toyota has phased out 15W-40 some 4-5 years ago and has now standardised on 5W-30. If you must have synthetic then 5W-40 diesel spec oil will be good for your Qualis.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:23   #5628
BHPian
 
cs_rajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 260
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Your Xylo will run fine on 5w40 turbo truck which is different from the signature series 5w40

Turbo truck is rated api ck4 and will do very well with your Xylo
hello Hserus
can you share at what rates both these engine oils are sold at present (in your city )?
and
What is special on Signature Series that the Turbo Truck series misses, from the know-how perspective and its fit for use in latest SUV / MPV diesel engines.

regards
Rajesh
cs_rajesh is online now  
Old 12th October 2020, 20:15   #5629
BHPian
 
WhiteSierra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Hyd / SJC
Posts: 335
Thanked: 1,565 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Yes, they are right, for old high mileage vehicles xW-40, or even 20W-50 in extreme cases, is recommended. xW-30 will result in oil consumption. Please stick to xW-40. Toyota has phased out 15W-40 some 4-5 years ago and has now standardised on 5W-30. If you must have synthetic then 5W-40 diesel spec oil will be good for your Qualis.

I use Mobil Delvac 15W-40 mineral oil on my Sierras (6.8L), Qualis (5L) and Innova (7.5L). For Crysta (7.5L), service center guys use 5w-30 Idemitsu mineral oil.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:37   #5630
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
hello Hserus
can you share at what rates both these engine oils are sold at present (in your city )?
and
What is special on Signature Series that the Turbo Truck series misses, from the know-how perspective and its fit for use in latest SUV / MPV diesel engines.

regards
Rajesh
I just buy Amsoil off Amazon and am not aware of any distributor in my city. The nearest ones to me in Chennai are in Bangalore and Coimbatore.

There’s no know how missed or anything - signature series is for petrol and small diesel cars that ask for acea a5/b5 5w30 or 5w40, it won’t be a good fit for my Scorpio. If I still had my Fiesta with its 1.5 diesel that needed an a5b5 5w30 I would have used Signature series for it.

That Signature series 5w30 should be a good fit for even large Fords like the Endeavour by the way as that is the recommended grade of oil for the Endy as it is for the Figo. Not all big diesels recommend API C* oils.
hserus is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 07:00   #5631
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru/NYC
Posts: 638
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

What would be the options for 'Swift VDi' in 'Amsoil' Brand?
I would prefer fully synthetic.
JMaruru is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 07:02   #5632
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What would be the options for 'Swift VDi' in 'Amsoil' Brand?
I would prefer fully synthetic.
For all such questions please first add just what oil you are currently using, what grade and what rating eg 5w30 a5/b5 and all. Or search the archives first if there are already recommendations. Then search Amazon for your required grade of oil and you should get the Amsoil equivalent.
hserus is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 07:05   #5633
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru/NYC
Posts: 638
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For all such questions please first add just what oil you are currently using, what grade and what rating eg 5w30 a5/b5 and all. Or search the archives first if there are already recommendations. Then search Amazon for your required grade of oil and you should get the Amsoil equivalent.
The grade for Swift VDi is 5W40. Presently, using Shell Synthetic.
JMaruru is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 07:07   #5634
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The grade for Swift VDi is 5W40. Presently, using Shell Synthetic.
Amsoil also has a 5w40 in its signature series you can use that has an equivalent grade to Shell synthetic but there may not be as much difference you’ll notice from an already good oil unless you do extensive highway trips.
hserus is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 07:16   #5635
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru/NYC
Posts: 638
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Amsoil also has a 5w40 in its signature series you can use that has an equivalent grade to Shell synthetic but there may not be as much difference you’ll notice from an already good oil unless you do extensive highway trips.
I do extensive long distance trips like Mumbai <> B'lore(1000+Kms) and M'lore <> B'lore(400+ kms). Earlier to 'Shell' was with 'Delvac 1' which was pretty good.
JMaruru is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 07:18   #5636
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I do extensive long distance trips like Mumbai <> B'lore(1000+Kms) and M'lore <> B'lore(400+ kms). Earlier to 'Shell' was with 'Delvac 1' which was pretty good.
Don’t pour specialist diesel oils for the Swift VDI it is a tiny engine and much more comfortable with the grade you’re currently using 5w40 a3b4 which is a dual use petrol / light Diesel engine oil.

Buy the signature series 5w40 rather than Amsoil turbo truck 5w40 and you should be fine.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 09:10   #5637
BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 962
Thanked: 2,066 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I do extensive long distance trips like Mumbai <> B'lore(1000+Kms) and M'lore <> B'lore(400+ kms). Earlier to 'Shell' was with 'Delvac 1' which was pretty good.
In 2012 Maruti issued a service bulletin changing the oil type to 5W40 as the vehicles were coming from factory filled with that type of oil on the diesel engines.

The oil change interval is the same regardless of the type so it would increase your maintenance cost.

Search for MGDO, you get Castrol, Shell, Mobil, Petronas All Maruti genuine branded diesel engine oils. Dealers should have them as options in most places.
Kosfactor is offline  
Old 15th October 2020, 08:33   #5638
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Search for MGDO, you get Castrol, Shell, Mobil, Petronas All Maruti genuine branded diesel engine oils. Dealers should have them as options in most places.
Yes for such an elderly engine Amsoil and other fancier brands will be a waste just go ahead and fill the best grade of mgdo you have or go for shell helix ultra and you’ll be just fine.
hserus is offline  
Old 21st October 2020, 18:27   #5639
BHPian
 
SS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 113
Thanked: 292 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

There are good discounts available for engine oils on Amazon.in in case someone wants to stock up a few cans, right time to do it.
I bought this 15w50 can x 2nos for my Electra for 680 each, normal shop price is 980 for each 2.5L can
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img20201021wa0007.jpeg
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:07   #5640
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
There are good discounts available for engine oils on Amazon.in in case someone wants to stock up a few cans, right time to do it.
I bought this 15w50 can x 2nos for my Electra for 680 each, normal shop price is 980 for each 2.5L can
I would do that except I already have enough for my 60k service (coolant brake oil gear oil engine oil all 4 drain and replace) lying in my cupboard. Bought a few months back and then the lockdown happened.
hserus is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks