Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:18   #5671
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

If you are interested in ecstar branded items. There is ecstar branded shell 0w20 fully synthetic engine oil in boodmo. Bought one for our baleno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey all, need a brand recommendation. Amazon is finally stocking 0w20 synthetic and there are now multiple brands with this viscosity.

1)Mobil super 3,000 - 3.5ltrs Rs 1,520

2) Idimetsu Pitzo (but it says petrol engine, mine is diesel)

3) shell helix - Rs 2,500 / 3 ltrs

Is the helix worth that extra cost?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20201222_091622.jpg  

Kpzonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:23   #5672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpzonwheels View Post
If you are interested in ecstar branded items. There is ecstar branded shell 0w20 fully synthetic engine oil in boodmo. Bought one for our baleno.
That is an ACEA C2 oil but he wants an ACEA C5.

https://ecstareurope.com/pdf/Ecstar_...catalog_EN.pdf page 8
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:52   #5673
Distinguished - BHPian

In cases where a particular oil type specific to your vehicle is not widely available in the aftermarket - consider filling OE from the dealer, usually they are reasonably priced and meets the requirements anyways.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:10   #5674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
As you can see that Mobil Super 3000 is ACEA C2, many of the others are ILSAC GF5 ..

The only non OEM oil currently in the Indian market that meets your required spec is Mobil 1 ESP X2 which is an excellent oil but seriously expensive. 1 litre 1300, 5 litres 6000.

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-0W20-Adv...dp/B0733LFX6X/
It is eye wateringly expensive though as you said!

Internet tells me I could switch to 5W20, and the lowest temp I will ever drive in will be around 8-10*c (hill stations in winter).

Is this really feasible or will it cause warranty issues?
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:10   #5675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In cases where a particular oil type specific to your vehicle is not widely available in the aftermarket - consider filling OE from the dealer, usually they are reasonably priced and meets the requirements anyways.
Not entirely sure that is always the case. Hyundai for example has a single "CRDI 5w30" that they're filling in all cars regardless of their age - not sure if they got supplies of new oils for their newest generation of cars, that require a different oil. So do due diligence anyway.

If you are not putting a full 10k km on it every few months it is probably not worth using aftermarket oils anyway, stick to the official oil.

Quote:
It is eye wateringly expensive though as you said!

Internet tells me I could switch to 5W20, and the lowest temp I will ever drive in will be around 8-10*c (hill stations in winter).

Is this really feasible or will it cause warranty issues?
If your car is within warranty stick to filling the OE oil. Even if you use any external oil with the standard met but no explicit "Approved by [manufacturer]" on the label they might find some excuse to deny a warranty claim.

Your manual will anyway provide a *range* of oil weights to use, in certain cases, or in other cases it will specify one single grade of oil.

Technically for a C5 0w20 you could just use a 5w30 or even a 5w40 a3/b4 or a5/b5 in our hot weather and it wouldn't matter all that much .. unless your car is fitted with a DPF and other fancy anti pollution stuff, in which case just don't even try other oil specs, buy OEM or buy eye wateringly expensive and change at or a bit before the scheduled interval. There are no 5w20 oils that I am aware of in the Indian market, 5w30 would probably work for you if you want a heavier weight of oil, and compliant with ACEA A5/B5 or C2 (if so, the Idemitsu 5w30 is decent, or the Amsoil 5w30 European Car Formula is excellent).

Last edited by hserus : 22nd December 2020 at 10:15.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:15   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
If your car is within warranty stick to filling the OE oil. Even if you use any external oil with the standard met but no explicit "Approved by [manufacturer]" on the label they might find some excuse to deny a warranty claim.

Your manual will anyway provide a *range* of oil weights to use, in certain cases, or in other cases it will specify one single grade of oil.

Technically for a C5 0w20 you could just use a 5w30 or even a 5w40 a3/b4 or a5/b5 in our hot weather and it wouldn't matter all that much .. unless your car is fitted with a DPF and other fancy anti pollution stuff, in which case just don't even try other oil specs, buy OEM or buy eye wateringly expensive and change at or a bit before the scheduled interval.
I am going to go with Option A, buy OEM (and hope they launch some synth variant), thanks though for your advise.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:17   #5677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to go with Option A, buy OEM (and hope they launch some synth variant), thanks though for your advise.
0w20 IS synthetic for sure, maybe a cheaper grade of synthetic but that's fine. What is your usage like? Full LTD road trips and you finish 10k km in a few months, or is this primarily a city car with 2-3 highway trips a year?

If it is a city car forget expensive oils, stick to OEM and change at 7500-8000 km if you feel the smoothness is decreasing. If it is a full LTD sort of car, go ahead and buy expensive oils, you won't regret it.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:19   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
0w20 IS synthetic for sure, maybe a cheaper grade of synthetic but that's fine. What is your usage like? Full LTD road trips and you finish 10k km in a few months, or is this primarily a city car with 2-3 highway trips a year?

If it is a city car forget expensive oils, stick to OEM and change at 7500-8000 km if you feel the smoothness is decreasing. If it is a full LTD sort of car, go ahead and buy expensive oils, you won't regret it.
I was told by my SA that it was mineral though, I will recheck with him.

Usage is about 800 Km's / month in peak Anna Salai / Nungambakkam traffic (manual btw) + about 400-700 Kms of 1 highway drive / month.

There was such a tangible smoothness gain in my Verna when I switched to synth that I want to replicate that experience.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:23   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told by my SA that it was mineral though, I will recheck with him.

Usage is about 800 Km's / month in peak Anna Salai / Nungambakkam traffic (manual btw) + about 400-700 Kms of 1 highway drive / month.

There was such a tangible smoothness gain in my Verna when I switched to synth that I want to replicate that experience.
Your SA won't even have random GK about oils - and what I have is random GK only so take it at face value as just that, I'm not a petroleum engineer.

Cheap oil so mineral is a rule of thumb for most SAs I guess or a convenient tool for them to sell a more expensive grade of oil, or some random additives.

Tell you what, if you want to see a good group V instead of group III synthetic with a superior additive package perform, buy that expensive Mobil 1 once and see what results you experience. My guess is wait a couple of years, or wait for a few more turbo petrol models to reach the market, and more manufacturers will start introducing C5 oils at reasonable rates.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:26   #5680
BHPian

Quote:
Your SA won't even have random GK about oils - and what I have is random GK only so take it at face value as just that, I'm not a petroleum engineer.

Cheap oil so mineral is a rule of thumb for most SAs I guess or a convenient tool for them to sell a more expensive grade of oil, or some random additives.

Tell you what, if you want to see a good group V instead of group III synthetic with a superior additive package perform, buy that expensive Mobil 1 once and see what results you experience. My guess is wait a couple of years, or wait for a few more turbo petrol models to reach the market, and more manufacturers will start introducing C5 oils at reasonable rates.
I must agree, I pinged the SA and he said "I will check and comeback", though he is prompt and I appreciate his candour that he didn't try to give me some bs advise.

I just( 4k kms before) changed oils at the service centre, so I think for my next change in a few months, will go for the Mobil 1, and evaluate it for myself on the road.

Out of academic curiosity, why is this 0w20 and CEA 5 so rare to find / expensive? Dumb of Kia to have such a rare oil imho.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:35   #5681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of academic curiosity, why is this 0w20 and CEA 5 so rare to find / expensive? Dumb of Kia to have such a rare oil imho.
C5 is an ultra modern spec - a very recent one (only introduced in 2016).

So manufacturers will typically take a few years to blend c5 oils, get them certified with various manufacturers etc etc. And before that they will wait for enough cars to reach the market requiring that spec of oil. I even searched the US / UK Amazon sites and this Mobil 1 X2 is the only C5 oil that meets your spec, right now.

Last edited by hserus : 22nd December 2020 at 10:39.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:44   #5682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Relatively new Euro spec and newer engine designs to work with it, they are pushing for longer drain intervals up there going well past 20,000 Kms mark, the need for diesel after treatment systems like SCR, DPF etc thanks to BS6 and then increased fuel efficiency with oil flowing better at low temperatures, yet retaining 20 weight at normal running temperatures.

Some years back 15W40 was the diesel oil of choice for most, now its come down to 5W30 and now 0W20 etc, engine design and performance requirements for the market changes.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:51   #5683
Senior - BHPian

Maximile FEO V2 (as used for the KUV etc) is a 0w20 oil, and most probably an ACEA C5, because it recommends ACEA C3 oils as "use if you can't find Feo V2 but change at 10k km" in the UK manual for KUV etc)

https://www.mahindra-tis.com/en/?id=Owners_Manual_

For example the Euro 6 XUV refresh from 2016 - https://www.mahindra-tis.com/incl/?f...o6_2016_es.pdf suggests ACEA C3 5w30 oils as an alternative to Maximile FEO

Similarly boodmo says the Feo V2 is a 0w20 oil, and is probably a C5 given the extended drain requirements. Feo V2 is an extremely cheap but quality oil, and should perform at least as well as the OEM I would say.

Quote:
Relatively new Euro spec and newer engine designs to work with it, they are pushing for longer drain intervals up there going well past 20,000 Kms mark, the need for diesel after treatment systems like SCR, DPF etc thanks to BS6 and then increased fuel efficiency with oil flowing better at low temperatures, yet retaining 20 weight at normal running temperatures.

Some years back 15W40 was the diesel oil of choice for most, now its come down to 5W30 and now 0W20 etc, engine design and performance requirements for the market changes.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:27   #5684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Similarly boodmo says the Feo V2 is a 0w20 oil, and is probably a C5 given the extended drain requirements. Feo V2 is an extremely cheap but quality oil, and should perform at least as well as the OEM I would say.
FEO is mystery oil , user manuals have said 15W40 CH4 as alternative for either FEO or FEO V2 , in different manuals. But found this on facebook that may be of some use to us, also adds to more confusion as to what the hell do their engines want. Easy solution is if the manual \ service bulletin says FEO, fill that or if it says V2 , then fill that one.

This is the oil chart.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-oil-chart-mahindra.jpg

And the comparison chart.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-oil-type-mahindra.jpg
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-oil-type-mahindra-2.jpg

Link : Krishna Auto Sales Facebook

Comparison chart is indeed very interesting.
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:14   #5685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FEO is mystery oil , user manuals have said 15W40 CH4 as alternative for either FEO or FEO V2 , in different manuals. But found this on facebook that may be of some use to us, also adds to more confusion as to what the hell do their engines want. Easy solution is if the manual \ service bulletin says FEO, fill that or if it says V2 , then fill that one.

Comparison chart is indeed very interesting.
Yes so I was right the feo is a 5w30 and feo v2 is a 0w20

The 0w20 hx8 and magnatec are both ilsac gf5 rated so I presume that’s exactly the rating for feo v2 or a bit less than the rating given that they say to change oil much earlier

The alternatives recommended for plain Feo are all 5w30 a5/b5

Most Viewed