Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 20:11   #5926
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I am also seeing the same thing sold by Castrol as Transmax Type F.
In fact, any "Type-F" transmission fluid should suffice, I think.

Thanks in advance.
Yes Ford ESW-M2C33-F is a generic Transmax type F fluid and Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline etc all have good versions. As for the quantity check your manual.
Old 25th May 2022, 07:06   #5927
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yes Ford ESW-M2C33-F is a generic Transmax type F fluid and Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline etc all have good versions. As for the quantity check your manual.
Quantity is not mentioned in manual. Does anyone know of a source to buy, other than the uber-expensive option through amazon.in (which, from the delayed delivery dates, we can infer that someone is importing this and reselling on amazon) ; that's the whole reason for my post
Old 25th May 2022, 08:22   #5928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quantity is not mentioned in manual. Does anyone know of a source to buy, other than the uber-expensive option through amazon.in (which, from the delayed delivery dates, we can infer that someone is importing this and reselling on amazon) ; that's the whole reason for my post
You could just go to a ford dealer, or to any large lubes and oils store and check for power steering fluid that's type F.
Old 27th May 2022, 17:18   #5929
BHPian

Hey folks, quick clarification regarding Engine Oil change

During the last Oil change (20k kms)) for my Brezza car the service center had used Synthetic 0W-20 Synthetic oil..

Now my car has crossed 40K+ and is due for next service and engine oil change, I read that the Maruti recommended engine oil for Brezza is 5W-30

I am now confused as to which one should I go for ? pls suggest
Old 27th May 2022, 20:23   #5930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
During the last Oil change (20k kms)) for my Brezza car the service center had sed Synthetic 0W-20 Synthetic oil..
Now my car has crossed 40K+ and is due for next service and engine oil change, I read that the Maruti recommended engine oil for Brezza is 5W-30
The place where you need to read which oil is recommended for your specific year and model of car is the manual that comes with it.

What does the manual specify? And does it say you need to service / change oil only once every 20000 km?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 21:52   #5931
BHPian

Quote:
I was in a similar place about a month ago. We decided to change PS fluid on my friend's 1.2 Figo but were unable to source TYPE F fluid. Called up the Ford distributor and he said that they don't stock the Type F fluid cause no one ever demands it and it's way too costly. He suggested me to use any generic ATF oil. However, a little web search showed that Dexron- IIIH/Mercon should be fine too. The type F fluid didn't have any friction modifiers in it while the Dexron one contains Friction modifiers. This should not really matter in the case of Power Steering systems. Although we didn't go ahead with the fluid change for now due to our busy schedules, so can't really comment if it would make any difference in the system.
abhi9044 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 22:57   #5932
BHPian

Please help me decide on Fully synthetic oil for my 9 year old Honda City.
I've been servicing my car every 5k kms.
Now, I would like to try 10k servicing interval by putting fully synthetic oil.
Note that I've always serviced my car at Honda ASS.
But with this shift, I plan to get it serviced at FNG.
My monthly usage is 1200-1500 Kms.
Please help :
1. Whether switch to 10k service interval advisable?
2. If yes, exactly which grade & brand to be used for Engine longevity with 10k service interval.
3. What care to be taken during servicing at FNG?

I love my car & don't want to upgrade as yet.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20220517_094354.jpg  

Old 27th May 2022, 23:13   #5933
BHPian

Quote:
The place where you need to read which oil is recommended for your specific year and model of car is the manual that comes with it.

What does the manual specify? And does it say you need to service / change oil only once every 20000 km?
sorry that was a typo, the last engine oil change was done at 30k and not 20k

The Brezza owners manual says 5W-30 is recommended
Old 28th May 2022, 00:55   #5934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
sorry that was a typo, the last engine oil change was done at 30k and not 20k

The Brezza owners manual says 5W-30 is recommended
Then you should use 5w30 or 0W30 only. MASS fellows will gloss over it. For the next change enquire beforehand if they have 5w30. If they don't , buy and take it with you.

For 2009 model Marutis (non K series engines) the recommended oil is 20W40. MASS fellows have stopped that oil and are filling 0w20 even for them too. So I have been buying and carrying my own oil for the annual service for a very long time.
Gansan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 05:03   #5935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSpeaks View Post
Please help me decide on Fully synthetic oil for my 9 year old Honda City.
I've been servicing my car every 5k kms.
Now, I would like to try 10k servicing interval by putting fully synthetic oil.
Note that I've always serviced my car at Honda ASS.
But with this shift, I plan to get it serviced at FNG.
My monthly usage is 1200-1500 Kms.
Please help :
1. Whether switch to 10k service interval advisable?
2. If yes, exactly which grade & brand to be used for Engine longevity with 10k service interval.
3. What care to be taken during servicing at FNG?

I love my car & don't want to upgrade as yet.
I can understand your situation as going for service every 3 to 4 months, that too in ASS, is such a pain.
Nearly all your problems will be solved if you shift to a FNG, which you are already contemplating.
Do not increase your service interval, just make it faster at an FNG. Buy a good 5w30 oil (Mobil, Shell, Total and Valvoline are my favorite engine oils). Source 2, 3 spare oil filters and keep them at home, other things can be procured by FNG on need basis.
Please note: FNGs are very good for oil, coolant, air filter checking, but they overlook many other things. For my Santro, FNG never suggested a fuel filter change ever(as they do not keep your car record), I procure and give them such parts. We have to list down things that we need to get done at FNG. Also, find a good after market or Honda parts shop, it helps in getting (and returning) parts quickly, sometimes they give parts for some other car model. I used Boodmo also, and found them good (however, I had to return 1 part, which was an atrocious process). If you really love your car, these things will give you another high when compared to giving the keys and taking them back!
Regarding your specific questions:
1. Shifting to 10k interval - Not advisable for fluids and filters; for other things - OK (provided they are checked by FNG every 5k)
2. Not applicable
3. I answered above.
My chats with taxi drivers who crossed more than 1.5 lakh kms on their vehicles (some even crossed 3 L, without engine overhaul) concludes that they do not overshoot service intervals even though it means 1 day loss of income, always used authorised/genuine parts, checked air pressure every other day (and drove for 1 lakh! kms with factory fitted tyres, I do not recommend this as they may have ignored tread depth) etc etc. One more thing - they never used fully synthetic or premium grade oil and used standard manufacturer recommended oil. However, if a CNG taxi driver uses 0w20 oil, he is using a FS oil(as per definition) whether he knows it or not.

Sorry for the long reply, but it is worth to explain when you are trying to extend oil change intervals, thinking synthetic oils can do that. All oil manufacturers hides this notion in their carefully written marketing statements, that the FS oil will only maintain oil change interval and extention of drain intervals is not recommended.
Use FS oils when you are racing! all the time. If you are a sedate driver with rare high rpm stints, any oil will do a good job!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 28th May 2022 at 05:07.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 09:31   #5936
Senior - BHPian

^^ My MASS uses only 5W20 oil for whatever generation of car comes for service. My 2009 Alto has the F8 series engine and requires 20W40, but a couple of years after the K series engines arrived, Maruti stopped using 20w40 oil, and used the 5W30 which was recommended for the first gen K series models for even my car. Now the next gen K series engine needs 5W20 oil, and they are filling it for whatever car comes in.

The alternative is to carrry our own oil, or tell them to fill fully synthetic Mobil 1 which is available with them, in 0W40 or 5W40 specs. That is the only oil with 40 weight available with them if we don't want the lower spec MGO. We can pay for the exact quantity of synthetic oil used, instead of buying a full can. And I am talking about a MASS which is 50% owned by Suzuki themselves.

They make it very clear that we need to come in for the next change at 10k km/12 months as usual, the synthetic oil makes no difference to the drain interval.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th May 2022 at 09:33.
Gansan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 13:41   #5937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Use FS oils when you are racing! all the time. If you are a sedate driver with rare high rpm stints, any oil will do a good job!
Truly fully synthetic oils can have a very extended drain interval but the oil filter is rated for whatever the oil change interval is. In some cases you can just change the oil filter, top up the oil (for high grade full synth) and drive upto 3-5 thousand km more. Careful if you do so, keep checking the oil condition and engine smoothness.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 02:19   #5938
BHPian

Quote:
Truly fully synthetic oils can have a very extended drain interval but the oil filter is rated for whatever the oil change interval is. In some cases you can just change the oil filter, top up the oil (for high grade full synth) and drive upto 3-5 thousand km more. Careful if you do so, keep checking the oil condition and engine smoothness.
Although I tend to agree what you mentioned, but let me share another perspective.
Oils alone do not have very good anti wear properties, whether it is FS oil or pure mineral oil. It is the combination of anti wear additives and the base oil strength, which makes the oil a good anti wear agent.
The more and more advanced the oil becomes the lesser and lesser additives it is allowed to carry (due to environmental reasons).
If I were a country President, to gather more votes and environmental sustainability points, I will just allow use of pure synthetic oil without any anti wear additives (however other additives Iike viscosity modifiers, alkali, detergents will still be needed) and allow running them for let us say 5000 kms. But unfortunately, oil is not a good anti wear agent alone, no matter how good it is and this strategy will fail!

The real problem is, that this additive package wears off over time and if we go in the market to buy a FS oil, we will prefer the most advanced oil with most recent API spec, which ironically has even less of them. This catch 22 situation makes FS unsuitable for extended drain intervals, even more than a less advanced semi synthetic oil, which has these additives in abundance.
This is the reason why I never recommend extending the drain intervals.
But, I have used some knowledge to extend drain intervals in my cars. They sometimes do not cross 10 k kms per year and the drain interval of 1 year or 10 k kms is exhausted w.r.t time.
I add STP oil additive/Abro oil additive (I even tried waxpol oil additive once in this situation) to the oil around 11 to 12 months time frame and consume the full 10 k interval which happens in 14 or 15 months at times. This additional additive package maintains the anti wear properties for extended period of time.
But, I do not recommend any modern car with more advanced catalytic converters to employ this strategy. My humble Tata Safari Dicor or Santro does not have this problem.
If someone is hell bent on extending drain intervals and use FS oil for 6 or 7 k kms in place of manufacturer recommended 5 k (or 12 k or 13 k, in place of manufacturer recommended 10 k), they can add these oil additives, or source ZDDP from US and add calculated amounts (1000 ppm is good enough concentrarion) to restore anti wear properties of the oil for some more time.
I remember reading a decade or so ago, that race cars have custom addition of these additives like ZDDP to reduce wear and tear of the engine during races. Things may have changed over the years though.
If one does not want to do any such thing, please follow manufacturer recommended oil change intervals and be happy and tension free.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 29th May 2022 at 02:41.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 03:05   #5939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Oils alone do not have very good anti wear properties, whether it is FS oil or pure mineral oil. It is the combination of anti wear additives and the base oil strength, which makes the oil a good anti wear agent..
There are oils rated with extended drain intervals (acea e7, acea c3 .. c5) that remain stable at longer than the usual 10k km. Some specifically sold as “long life” like castrol edge.

The funny thing is the same oil but with a different filter design and oil sump size, lasts 15k in some cars and 20k in others. And US cars change oil at 10k miles which is considerably over 10k km.

Far less dust in US air than Indian air for one, and cleaner fuel both might have something to do with it. But fill at known pumps + clean the air filter every 5k km while maintaining a 10k or whatever rated km change interval and you might see a difference. For several cars air filter cleans are diy, just undo three or four clips on the air filter box.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 23:45   #5940

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshbansal View Post
Hey! Sorry for bumping into such an old post of yours. I am trying to source a gear oil and I am unable to find it anywhere locally/online. My PMs are disabled for some reason. Can you help me out with the company contact you were talking about above?
Quote:
But what kind of gear oil? For machinery or something that you’re unable to find it online?

What is the spec you need? Should be able to source an alternate that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshbansal View Post
API GL-4 SAE 75W-85, for my MT.

I was looking at Kixx GEARTEC MTF API GL-4 SAE 75W-85 gear oil ((https://www.gscaltexindia.com/produc...-4-sae-75w-85/)) for my elite i20 2014, petrol. Amazon, I could see filled with Mannol oils, which I haven't heard of. RedLine I checked and is not available.
Quote:
You can just buy 75w90 and you should be fine.

Amazon has Zic in 75w85 GL4 and that's a quite decent brand. And Mannol (overpriced German import but still good) among others.

Hey. So I have a question. I used a GL4 rated gear oil. https://www.gscaltexindia.com/produc...-4-sae-80w-90/ - This one.

My car calls for a GL4 75W85.
I have two questions.
  1. is 80W90 going to harm me in any way? or shall I switch to 75W85
  2. the description of the oil mentions that it has some EP additives, which I heard are not good for soft yellow metals in my box. I also read that GL4 should not contain any EP additives, this oil does. So again, shall I switch to another oil ASAP? Zic as you mentioned, does not seem to contain EP additives. It is 75W85 as well, so best of both worlds?

Or shall I continue with this oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks