Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 19:23   #6046
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Finished by 6th year service at 47K KM mark on my petrol Baleno two weeks back. This time I could manage to get 0W-20 fully synthetic oil from nexa but I see a total contrast in the way the car drives now.

Car has become quite noisy and is not as rev free as it used to be before the oil change. Did a 700 KM drive post service and was hoping the oil would set in gradually but I see no such thing happening. This is my first experience with a fully synthetic oil and I am disappointed and worried if this may worsen.

Anybody faced the similar situation ? what could be the reason ?
Old 25th April 2023, 16:23   #6047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
FCar has become quite noisy and is not as rev free as it used to be before the oil change. Did a 700 KM drive post service and was hoping the oil would set in gradually but I see no such thing happening. This is my first experience with a fully synthetic oil and I am disappointed and worried if this may worsen.

Anybody faced the similar situation ? what could be the reason ?
The best question to be asked is what was the oil you filled in the previous fills? Is this a bs4 or a bs6 car?

If it is bs4, just get a standard 5w30 synthetic or semi synthetic (shell helix taxi is a good one) and use that. BS6 stick to 0w20
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 18:55   #6048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The best question to be asked is what was the oil you filled in the previous fills? Is this a bs4 or a bs6 car?

If it is bs4, just get a standard 5w30 synthetic or semi synthetic (shell helix taxi is a good one) and use that. BS6 stick to 0w20
It is a bs4 car sir and I have been using 0w-20 mineral oil till 2022
Old 26th April 2023, 12:38   #6049
//R

Asking for a friend whose 2017 Brezza VDi needs an oil change and he'll be switching from MASS mineral to aftermarket Synthetic one for the first time. The options for factory spec 5W-30, ACEA A5/B5 that he's considering are:

1. Mobil Super FE 3000
2. TotalEnergies Quartz 8000
3. Castrol Magnatec Fully Synthetic

Prices vary from 1400 to 2000 for a 3.5 Lt pack, is there any major differentiator between these? Do the experts prefer any one over the other? TIA...
Old 26th April 2023, 17:29   #6050
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
Asking for a friend whose 2017 Brezza VDi needs an oil change and he'll be switching from MASS mineral to aftermarket Synthetic one for the first time..
If the car in question only does low or normal running might as well stay with the Maruti Suzuki Genuine oil. It is manufactured and supplied by Shell.

Of the choices you’ve given in your post, fellow TBHP member Hserus who is a great ‘go to guy’ on all things connected with engine and gearbox oil and additives and all, tends to recommend Castrol. Also, Castrol does have a massive state of the art plant in Silvassa, India so that also helps.
Old 26th April 2023, 17:31   #6051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If the car in question only does low or normal running might as well stay with the Maruti Suzuki Genuine oil. It is manufactured and supplied by Shell.

Of the choices you’ve given in your post, fellow TBHP member Hserus who is a great ‘go to guy’ on all things connected with engine and gearbox oil and additives and all, tends to recommend Castrol. Also, Castrol does have a massive state of the art plant in Silvassa, India so that also helps.
Shell, Castrol and Mobil are all excellent brands with high manufacturing standards. Of these, buy the oil that fits your price point and also fits the specs required by your car.

If you use OEM oil (which is generally semi synthetic and not mineral these days) just change every 7k km or so rather than 10k km and you should mostly be fine.
Old 26th April 2023, 17:44   #6052
BANNED

Quote:
If you use OEM oil (which is generally semi synthetic and not mineral these days) just change every 7k km or so rather than 10k km and you should mostly be fine.
In my Dads 2019 Glanza (a k a Maruti Baleno) we just go with the standard procedure at the Toyota Company service centre every year. That car does only approx 5000 odd kms a year. So we just stay with the Toyota recommended semi synth oil.

The same goes for my stock 2014 Maruti Gypsy. I do around 4000kms a year. And I service it once a year and use the Maruti Authorised Service Station recommended oil (which by the way is Shell Helix Semi Synth.)

And in my 2021 Mahindra Thar also I just give the vehicle every year when I have more or less done 7000 to 9000 odd kms and they just change the oil with Mahindra MaxiMile Semi Synth.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th April 2023 at 17:47.
Old 27th April 2023, 02:03   #6053
BHPian

Hey!
I own a 2013 Maruti Ertiga VXi with 80k+ km on the odo.
The car has always had frequent oil changes either the 10k interval or 1 year whichever has come first and has always been serviced at ASC.
Although the recommended engine oil grade for the ertiga has been 5w30, the ASC has been filling 5w40 throughout the car's life ever since the first oil change, I noticed this after checking the service history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A bit, yes. But I personally wouldn't recommend coming back to W30 oil now when your car has lived all it's life on 5w40 oil. I'm not a big fan of changing the viscosity numbers, specially the one applicable for higher temperatures.

You may switch to 5W30 if you wish, and see if you notice increased clatter/other mechanical noises, increased consumption/leaks. Benefits you may be looking at are slightly responsive engine and better FE. I am using "may" because the situation you are in, there are way too many variables and it's difficult to predict something unless one speaks only about theoretical stuff. Since your car is a bit old and 80k run, this change may cause a few issues like increased oil consumption, increased clatter and there may be slight leaks from critical oil seals(10 years/80k is a long time).

This (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil) is an excellent thread for such queries.
Seeking advice if i should switch back to 5w30. DBHPian Leoshashi suggested to stick to 5w40 and not make the switch back to 5w30.

Asking the same question here if 'I should stick to 5w40 or switch back to the manufacture's recommendation of 5w30 for better engine response and FE' , to gather as many different opinions as possible.

All inputs and opinions regarding the same would be extremely helpful!

If i were to stick to the 5w40 grade, I'd like to change from what the ASC uses and explore other oils - Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra or Liqui Moly Molygen all in the 5w40 grade.

Pretty keen on trying Liqui Moly as I've a heard a lot of good things about it!

Would the Liqui Moly Molygen 5w40 (https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Molygen-Generation-Synthetic/dp/B078H8B2YR/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_2_2/262-9766399-4108650?pd_rd_w=pyIci&content-id=amzn1.sym.fa697102-547e-425b-bc67-26478c036f29&pf_rd_p=fa697102-547e-425b-bc67-26478c036f29&pf_rd_r=24628JHDKF8V3X40A8HB&pd_rd_wg =PZiuO&pd_rd_r=4e844b73-a1c7-4dbf-87f3-9946cd8dbc2e&=B078H8B2YR&psc=1) be a good choice over Shell(https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-550041109-Synthetic-Engine/dp/B00QK6PXPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=shell%2Bhelix%2Bultra%2B5 w-40&qid=1682491600&sprefix=shell%2B%2Caps%2C377&sr= 8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1) or Castrol (https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-Edge-5W-40-Synthetic-Engine/dp/B07TXGK1K4/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?keywords=castrol+edge+5w40+fully+s ynthetic+oil&qid=1682491618&replacementKeywords=ca strol+5w40+fully+synthetic+oil&sprefix=castrol+edg e%2Caps%2C292&sr=8-4-spons&vehicle=Ford%3AEdge&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zc F9hdGY&psc=1) for the K14B?

Thank you,
Piyush
Old 27th April 2023, 05:40   #6054
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post
Hey!
Although the recommended engine oil grade for the ertiga has been 5w30, the ASC has been filling 5w40 throughout the car's life ever since the first oil change, I noticed this after checking the service history.

This is the oil that Maruti uses or is supposed to use, for petrol vehicles, in their authorised service centres. Engine oil and gearbox oil.
This is what they have filled in my Gypsy these last two years every Feb/ March - I follow the annual service regimen irrespective of the Km’s run.

And here is a chart which may help decode the mysteries of different oil grades and the temperature ranges they can operate at.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_8284.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_8283.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_8287.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_8286.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_0b635a2eb2f61.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th April 2023 at 05:42.
Old 27th April 2023, 06:03   #6055
BHPian

Quote:
Shell, Castrol and Mobil are all excellent brands with high manufacturing standards. Of these, buy the oil that fits your price point and also fits the specs required by your car.

Sir, how is the Castrol Magnatec 0w20, earlier i was using MGP Shell 0w20 but it has been unavailable and only Mobil is available and there was quite a noticeable difference when we switched to MGP Mobil, also there is Idemitsu IFG5 available on boodmo for the same price.

Our BS6 WagonR does 20 to 25k kms an year and 80% of it is on the highway, we service it every 10,000km and would like to keep the engine healthy and purring for 2+ Lac kms.

Last edited by revvharder : 27th April 2023 at 06:05.
Old 27th April 2023, 06:05   #6056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post
Hey!
The car has always had frequent oil changes either the 10k interval or 1 year whichever has come first and has always been serviced at ASC.
Although the recommended engine oil grade for the ertiga has been 5w30, the ASC has been filling 5w40 throughout the car's life ever since the first oil change
Switching back to 5w30 or even 0w20 will not be a problem if the engine is in good health.

As yours is a petrol and you are looking for some significant improvement in mileage, try any good brand 0w20 or 5w30 oil. If your car is fully loaded with passengers mostly, do not go down to 0w20.

Please note, all you are looking for is 0.5 to 2% gain in mileage which will not show anything significant in tankful method. It will only show in your annual consumption.

If you use 1000 litres fuel annually, you may use 990 litres this time around for the same distance.

Edit: @shankar.balan The ambient temperature image you shared is more than a decade old and can scare away prospective low viscosity grade users.
New oils follow different ambient temperature, please have a look at the image I am sharing.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-rowoilrecommendations2_05may15_edited1_zpsc23a2384.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 27th April 2023 at 06:23.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 07:28   #6057
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Edit: @shankar.balan The ambient temperature image you shared is more than a decade old and can scare away prospective low viscosity grade users.
New oils follow different ambient temperature, please have a look at the image I am sharing.
Thanks a lot. I will certainly save and study this. I also had a little trepidation using some of these newer low viscosity oils as recommended by BMW in my Cooper which is 11 years old and 60K kms run. But the tolerances are very tight these days and hence low viscosity oil which starts flowing immediately should be good. Usually these are more necessary in colder climates. And in India ideally BMW ought to be using the same ‘Gulf Spec’ which they use.

Saying that, as the car gets a little older, I guess it is better to use a slightly thicker oil as tolerances reduce. This is also partially why (perhaps for greater psychological comfort many of us also add some friction modifiers and cure-all fluids and additives and special booster-juices like LiquiMoly Ceratec etc to our engine oils. Some say all this is bunkum and snake oil. But truth be told in my experience there definitely is a palpable difference by way of a softer engine note and smoothness.)

For now, I always seek advice from experts such as Hserus before trying some new oil.

Here is another resource one can refer to off the internet.

https://services.us.totalenergies.co...ades-explained

https://services.us.totalenergies.co...ding-standards

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th April 2023 at 07:32.
Old 27th April 2023, 07:32   #6058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Switching back to 5w30 or even 0w20 will not be a problem if the engine is in good health.

As yours is a petrol and you are looking for some significant improvement in mileage, try any good brand 0w20 or 5w30 oil. If your car is fully loaded with passengers mostly, do not go down to 0w20.
I haven't seen 5w30 hurt any old or newer petrol engine, least of all the old Maruti F8D. However, the cheaper and older specs of oil are just fine for such vintage engines as well. My father had a 1990s vintage M800 for nearly 20 years and it ran butter smooth on plain old 20w50, and it ran just as smooth when it was 18 years old (but barely 50k km run) and on shell 5w30.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 08:23   #6059
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't seen 5w30 hurt any old or newer petrol engine, least of all the old Maruti F8D. However, the cheaper and older specs of oil are just fine for such vintage engines as well. My father had a 1990s vintage M800 for nearly 20 years and it ran butter smooth on plain old 20w50, and it ran just as smooth when it was 18 years old (but barely 50k km run) and on shell 5w30.
I don't understand the link between my quoted text and your post. However, my post was in reference to getting back to 5w30 from 5w40 after 80k kms, which is easily doable as per me.
Old 27th April 2023, 09:16   #6060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand the link between my quoted text and your post. However, my post was in reference to getting back to 5w30 from 5w40 after 80k kms, which is easily doable as per me.
My post was I could go from 20w50 to 5w30 in an 18 year old petrol maruti and the performance was just fine. So going to 5w40 from 5w30 after 80k km seems quite doable. Sorry if I was not clear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks