Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/17917-article-synthetic-oil-vs-mineral-oil-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Shell, Castrol, Penzzoil, IBP, Mobil, Valvoline, Elf. These are some of the good brands of Mineral Oil sold in India not all.

Are the State Oil Cos lubes not considered good - mineral or otherwise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
Are the State Oil Cos lubes not considered good - mineral or otherwise?

Hi,

I'm sure they are but I dont trust the genuiness of the products(read fakes on highways) sold. Infact i would only buy from a reliables source and carry an extra 4 litres while travelling.

Viper

Are we done? Maybe we should close this. GTO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

Shell, Castrol, Penzzoil, IBP, Mobil, Valvoline, Elf. These are some of the good brands of Mineral Oil sold in India not all.

Viper

And teh grades for each car? Like for Santro? What do I ask teh dealer?

that was a comprehensive discussion on oils.really informative.as im to take my delivery of my verna vgt i would like to kow which oil suits it the most.mobil 1 is a choice ,which others are recomended.
ram

Looking for the real story on synthetics? Wondering what's true and what's not? These are some misconceptions about synthetics, and facts to set the record straight:

1. MYTH: Once I use synthetic motor oil in my car, I cannot switch back to conventional motor oil.
FACT: Synthetic motor oils are compatible with conventional and part synthetic (blend) motor oils. However, synthetics deliver superior engine protection versus conventional oils.

2. MYTH: Using synthetic motor oil will void my vehicle’s warranty.
FACT: Using synthetic motor oil will not void your vehicle’s warranty. Synthetics are formulated to not only meet minimum required industry standards, but also, in many cases, meet tougher industry and vehicle manufacturer standards.

3. MYTH: Synthetic oil is only for new cars.
FACT: Quality synthetic motor oil can be used in old as well as new cars, including vehicles in which conventional oil was previously used. Synthetic motor oils are beneficial for the good health, long life and top performance of new and old cars.

4. MYTH: You need to allow a break-in period for new vehicles before using synthetic motor oil.
FACT: In the past, it was recommended that conventional motor oil be used for your first oil change to allow for some controlled wear to break-in the new engine. However, with current engine technology, a break-in period is not necessary. You can use synthetics immediately.

Source: Castrol US Website

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai
that was a comprehensive discussion on oils.really informative.as im to take my delivery of my verna vgt i would like to kow which oil suits it the most.mobil 1 is a choice ,which others are recomended.
ram

I would not advocate the use of Sythetic oils for the first 10,000km. natural oils soak into the seals better and once the engine has run in long enough for this to happen one can switch to a synthetic oil.

Sorry guys for not posting earlier. With a kind of job, I don't log in much to this site as before.

First when I am talking about synthetics, I mean synthetics. Premium oil is still a mineral oil with additives for taking care of machines. For example, a diesel engine lube oil will have additives to take care of corrosive acid produced from sulphur content of the diesel.

Regarding changing over of the oil, you can not change the grade. Simply put, you can have different type of clothes material, but can you use smaller or larger trousers. Same way, you can switch over from mineral oils to synthetics and back as long as trousers fits. The cloth material will have different advantages and disadvantages.

I did read the article, but what I have put in there is from my own experience and test results ( I don't have those test results with me now, otherwise I would have tried to get the clearance to put them here for everybody benefit).

Another thing mentioned is that switching over to synthetics can cause the piston rings to leak due to change in wear limits. Remeber one thing, your engine piston rings size is always changing due to wear and tear. So this effect is has got nothing to do with piston rings. And piston rings don't seal like a static gasket. The sealing of piston rings depend of the gas forces going behind it and working outwards, forcing the rings to press against the cylinder. If you have good amount of deposits on the rings, the gases won't be able to work decently and will result in piston ring breakage. Also the gas pressure is dropped down to crankcase pressure over a number of rings.

I have just received my eclipse after servicing and I have changed the Engine oil to CASTROL SYNTHETIC ones. It has done just 50 Km after the change and I am not in a poisition to comment.However towrds the end of my journey, the engine feels to be slightly more muted and more refined towards higher rpm.You get the feeling that the engine is soaked under some thick gel and it soins smooth..I could not get the Synthetic Gear oil, once I get that I will be changing that as well.

OT:
Quote:

I have just received my eclipse after servicing and I have changed the Engine oil to CASTROL SYNTHETIC ones.
U've got an eclipse in bangalore??

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
OT:
U've got an eclipse in bangalore??

Dubai.

@California - how come it was running on regular oil?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
Dubai.

@California - how come it was running on regular oil?

well I assume it was running on mineral oil.. got to get the gear oil changed as well...
@STEEROID..whens the debut of the ------?????????

i changed to synthetic oil in april this year (at 15k) (shell ultra helx) and am using it in my NHC since last 11000 kms. Well, to be true i did not notice any difference because NHC is very quite and there is no way i can accelerate my baby above 4k. i usually drive at 2-3k rpm due to traffic conditions.

When i went to buy replacement oil dealer suggested me that i should use this oil for atleast 20,000 kms and only change oil filter and top up the oil because shell synthetic oils are designed to last longer for 40,000 to 50,000 kms. I was looking at the guy and said ***!. I asked him is this for real? and he confirmed they got this information from shell company and many people are using it like that !

well, i am going for oil change in next few days but can we use synthetic for 20k - 30k here in bombay conditions?. Whatever anyone would say i will feed fresh oil every 10k to my baby but is this guy right?

Max, I do my synthetic oil changes at 15,000 km.
Due to our indian conditions of temperature,dusty environments, i dont think its good for the engine to run till 30k or more.
Diesel engines will need more frequent oil changes.
Note for everyone:This is totally my practice since i can kinda judge oil quality by feeling the oil in the dipstick.Pls dont start another argument about "sooner-later" oil change intervals.

Quote:

When i went to buy replacement oil dealer suggested me that i should use this oil for atleast 20,000 kms and only change oil filter and top up the oil because shell synthetic oils are designed to last longer for 40,000 to 50,000 kms. I was looking at the guy and said ***!. I asked him is this for real? and he confirmed they got this information from shell company and many people are using it like that !

well, i am going for oil change in next few days but can we use synthetic for 20k - 30k here in bombay conditions?. Whatever anyone would say i will feed fresh oil every 10k to my baby but is this guy right?
Max - Your question is answered in the opening post of this thread itself. Please read again.