Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2006, 19:05   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
Looking for the real story on synthetics? Wondering what's true and what's not? These are some misconceptions about synthetics, and facts to set the record straight:

4. MYTH: You need to allow a break-in period for new vehicles before using synthetic motor oil.
FACT: In the past, it was recommended that conventional motor oil be used for your first oil change to allow for some controlled wear to break-in the new engine. However, with current engine technology, a break-in period is not necessary. You can use synthetics immediately.

Source: Castrol US Website
Now there goes. My new Wagon R due for its 2nd free service is at the 1600 km mark and I was wondering if I could use synthetics, but then

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Yes, absolutely, just as recommended by GTO. Switching to synthetic just at 1,500 km is a no no for the reasons mentioned. In fact in most modern cars the first oil is a very carefully developed cocktail of synthetic, mineral oils, various additives like moly sulphide, etc., all designed for optimum bedding in of the various engine parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Atleast 5000kms.
- Essentially I am back to square one. So what is the real story guys?
Old 1st November 2006, 23:13   #77

Hi i am new to this forum. My name is bharath and am from hyderabad. i have been following this thread for a while now. have a couple of things i am still not clear about.

I am a little confused about the recommendations about the grade

"The right grade: It is vital that you choose your engine oil based on the grade your manufacturer recommends. If your owner’s manual suggests a 10W–40 grade oil, make certain that you use that only."

but then Mobil 1 and Castrol edge have a grade of 5W40. So Can they be used in cars which recommend say 20W50? or are there different grades of Mobil 1?

could someone clarify this??

Also would anyone be aware of a good place to get hold of this stuff in hyderabad

Thanks
Bharath
Old 5th December 2006, 22:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the insight GTO..However, I do have one query from the Mobil1 link that you have posted. While your suggestion is not to use synthetic oil for the first 10,000kms or so, the site displays a list of companies that have Mobil1 as factory fill. Am a bit confused now. Please help
Old 10th December 2006, 06:56   #79
BHPian

I intend to use Synthetic Oil for my SWIFT VXi (17000 km) in the next oil change. I have come across OWS 5W50, as sold in Chennai by Speedworks. Is that the right one and can I use it for my SWIFT?
Old 10th December 2006, 11:38   #80
Team-BHP Support

Do they make separate oil filters for synthetic oils? I had seen some K&N and Bosch Oil filters online specific for cars using synthetic oils.
Are these products recommended? Could someone confirm the availability of these products in India?
Old 10th December 2006, 17:34   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, you do get Mobil1 filters also. However, I havent yet seen one available in India.
Old 10th December 2006, 17:35   #82
SuperSyn

As far as oil filters are concerned, it is best to follow manufacturer recommendation.

Old 10th December 2006, 17:42   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Do they make separate oil filters for synthetic oils? I had seen some K&N and Bosch Oil filters online specific for cars using synthetic oils.
Are these products recommended? Could someone confirm the availability of these products in India?
Hi,

K&N performance filters are available in the market and with Methods/Four Seasons as well. They are recommended if you are using high performance/synthetic oils.

Viper
Old 10th December 2006, 18:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I intend to use Synthetic Oil for my SWIFT VXi (17000 km) in the next oil change. I have come across OWS 5W50, as sold in Chennai by Speedworks. Is that the right one and can I use it for my SWIFT?
Oh yeah!
There's an amazing difference in ksethuram's swift after he started using the OWS 5w50.She's become silky smooth.
Old 10th December 2006, 18:37   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
They are recommended if you are using high performance/synthetic oils.
Does it make any difference if I use a standard factory recommended Oil filter with synthetic oil?
Old 10th December 2006, 21:52   #86
BHPian

This is definitely interesting. Will an Authorized Service Center provide the synthetic Oil option or is it better to get it done outside. If yes, please let me know if anyone has any particular recommendation for me in Bangalore.

Also, will change to Synthetic Oil void the warranty in any way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Oh yeah!
There's an amazing difference in ksethuram's swift after he started using the OWS 5w50.She's become silky smooth.
Old 11th December 2006, 01:04   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu
Will an Authorized Service Center provide the synthetic Oil option or is it better to get it done outside.
I'd suggest u get the oil from a genuine dealer and give it to the Maruti guys and request them to let u watch the oil change.Also, dont forget the 'engine flush' treatment before changing from mineral oil to synthetic.
Quote:
Also, will change to Synthetic Oil void the warranty in any way?
No.
Old 11th December 2006, 10:20   #88
Senior - BHPian

As a compromise, I am putting in GTX magnatec in my swift at 7.5k kms.
Old 11th December 2006, 17:37   #89

synthetic oils

Synthetic oils are the best.I have shell synthetic oil 5w 50 in my esteem which has run 38 thousand kms.
The engine oil turned black at 20 thousand kms, so i was in 2 minds to change it or not.I was scared the engine would break down buti went on & on. now since its 38 thsnd km ,i feel it will still manage another 10 thsnd kms cause of the smoothness of the engine and fuel efficiency.its really worth Rs 600 /litre
Old 11th December 2006, 18:35   #90
Team-BHP Support

Which is better ? Mobil 1 or Shell ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks