Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 13:28   #931
Senior - BHPian

Mobil Delvac 1.Its the only diesel synthetic oil available here.
Since yours is the non-CRDe Scorpio engine, you can use usual 5W50 from OWS/Mobil1 or 5W40 from Shell Helix Ultra/Castrol EDGE/Petronas Syntium.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:44   #932
BHPian

Guys,

Managed to get 4 lt can of Mobil 1 Supersyn 5W50 for Rs.2852. Booked for third free service on Saturday. The guys at Manipal Motors Airport Road tell me that they cannot accept outside engine oil. If I want to switch to Synthetic, they want me to get the Castrol Synthetic they have. Lets see. Will try to talk them into using the Mobil. If not, will get them to fill mineral oil and will replace with Mobil after 500 kms.

Cheers,

Rajan
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_00331.jpg  

Old 30th May 2008, 03:49   #933
BHPian

Guys i have a 2002 Ikon 1.6 which has done 1,14,000kms. I was planning to shift to Mobil 1 Super Syn in my next service but would it be a wise decision?
If yes then can anybody tell me the price please in Delhi?
If no then please suggest a good option for an Oil/Oil Additive with prices if possible please!
Old 30th May 2008, 10:49   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Guys i have a 2002 Ikon 1.6 which has done 1,14,000kms. I was planning to shift to Mobil 1 Super Syn in my next service but would it be a wise decision?
If yes then can anybody tell me the price please in Delhi?
If no then please suggest a good option for an Oil/Oil Additive with prices if possible please!
I do not think it makes sense to shift to synthetic now as the most of the engine damage is already done.

I have got 3M oil additive from Metro, bangalore for 550 bucks. Will let you know if there is any considerable difference in refinement/ performance.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:19   #935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I do not think it makes sense to shift to synthetic now as the most of the engine damage is already done.
Engine damage? What engine damage? You can run your car on mineral oil and there will be no engine damage unless you are using a wrong grade of oil, or the engine overheats leading to mineral oil degradation.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:34   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Engine damage? What engine damage? You can run your car on mineral oil and there will be no engine damage unless you are using a wrong grade of oil, or the engine overheats leading to mineral oil degradation.
I agree that engine damage was the wrong term to use.

What I meant was that there is no need for additional protection now as the engine has been doing its duty with mineral oil for over 1 lakh kilometers. If his usage and driving condtions requires additional protection by usage of synthetic oil, it is quite late to give the engine the additional protection it requires. Also the additional cost of synthetic oil needs to be considered.
Old 30th May 2008, 12:04   #937
Team-BHP Support

Well its never too late.
In normal conditions a mineral oil will do as good job as synthetic oil.
In extreme conditions(high revving, high temperature, overheating etc.,) synthetic oil will give more protection to the engine, irrespective of the engine age.
So you can go synthetic at any age, but choose a low detergent content oil, because sometimes the accumulated sludge is all that stands in front of leaking gaskets.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:22   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Lets see. Will try to talk them into using the Mobil. If not, will get them to fill mineral oil and will replace with Mobil after 500 kms.
Why fill mineral oil and use it only for 500 kms? Waste of money too. Instead get the car serviced as planned (ask the service personnel not to change the oil) and drive to a local garage where they can replace the old oil with your newly purchased Mobil. Do remember to use an engine flush.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:46   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Why fill mineral oil and use it only for 500 kms? Waste of money too. Instead get the car serviced as planned (ask the service personnel not to change the oil) and drive to a local garage where they can replace the old oil with your newly purchased Mobil. Do remember to use an engine flush.
Thanks for the tip aditya. The problem is:

1. This is the 3rd free service and if oil is not changed, warranty issues .

2. Using fresh Mineral oil for 500 kms to 1000 kms and then switching to Synthetic is a better way of flusing the engine, as the traditional engine flush contains higher concentrates of detergent, which can break down your engine oil quicker than normal.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 30th May 2008, 23:21   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Well its never too late.
but choose a low detergent content oil, because sometimes the accumulated sludge is all that stands in front of leaking gaskets.
This was exactly my main concern, which is why i am afraid to use synthetic now, i read the same in Car Bibles.
The reason why i want to use synthetic is because of my aggressive driving style and at no point of time do i drive sedately.

If not synthetic then please suggest a grade of oil suitable to use.
And if sythetic then also suggest a suitable grade and brand.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:57   #941
Team-BHP Support

You can try semi synthetic like the Castrol Magnatec for your car.
Old 31st May 2008, 22:59   #942
BHPian

Quote:
You can try semi synthetic like the Castrol Magnatec for your car.
Thanks so much bro even i thought its better to be safe than sorry because after spending Rs.3000 approx. and then ending up with a blown gasket and head does not make any sense to me.
BTW does Magnatec come in different grades or i just ask for it and take it off the shelf?
Old 31st May 2008, 23:15   #943
Senior - BHPian

Castrol Magnatec comes only in 10W40 grade.
Old 1st June 2008, 18:24   #944
BHPian

Guys,

Just switched to fully synthetic yesterday. Drove back home ~ 20kms. First impressions:

1. Low end torque has improved tremendously.
2. Engine has become noticably silent and smooth
3. Put a smile on my face, inspite of the not so great A.S.S.experience

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post849460

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 1st June 2008, 18:41   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

Just switched to fully synthetic yesterday. Drove back home ~ 20kms. First impressions:

1. Low end torque has improved tremendously.
2. Engine has become noticably silent and smooth
Agree with PatchBoy. I also switched to fully synthetic in my S10 and and experiencing the same +ve impressions as mentioned by Rajan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks