Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 15:10   #1096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
thanks guys... but you just confused me more
Well thats why we are here, to confuse you
Quote:
I only learnt about 5W40, 15W40 etc kind of specifications.
What does API-C... kind of specs mean?
10W40 etc,. are temperature related specifications. Apart from that you have lubricity ratings and sulfur content, phosphorous content ratings.
For example if you buy a 10W40 oil in 1995 and a 10W40 oil today, there will be a difference in lubricity. Newer tech oil will mean better lubrication, better protection.
For diesels the ratings are
API-CD, API-CF, API-CG, API-CH, API-CI and unavailable in India yet(since its for ULSD diesel) API-CJ
Quote:
I just understood that for 10K change, I dont need to go for synthetic, so mineral might just be fine. but the std oil which M.A.SS put for 1K change, is causing some roughness from around 6K.
I asked A.S.S folks, and they have Maruti OEM(didnt give me name of it) and Castrol.

So, Castrol GTx Diesel is a good one? or should I buy something like Shell helix and ask them to change that oil?
Castrol GTX diesel is API-CI4 and is an excellent oil. Its different from Castrol GTD which is API-CF4 and is for older engines
Old 16th September 2008, 23:47   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Where can I source Mobil Delvac MX oil in south Bangalore. I have raised this query earlier didn't get any response.
Old 24th September 2008, 08:21   #1098
BANNED

I've read that Synthetic oils should not be used in old engines. What's the reason ?
Old 24th September 2008, 09:38   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Old engines develop various deposits over the years that keep the engine nicely sealed. Those deposits might loosen up with the new synthetic oil in the engine and the oil (which is also thinner than mineral oil) may leak out of those holes.
However, the word old is fairly relative. I recently switched over to Mobil 1 with the odo reading 40k and no oil leak issue happened. There are others here who have switched over at 80k without any issues.
It is a myth that synthetic oil damages the seals and gaskets of engines.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:54   #1100
BHPian

Has anyone tried LIQUI MOLY Engine flush ? The market is flooded with STP and couldn't find OWS. So decided to give this a try.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_6732.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2008, 14:04   #1101
Senior - BHPian

You have my thumbs up for Liqui Moly.
Amazing product line up and their lubricants are really well engineered and these guys are sponsors for WTCC and most motorsports in europe.
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:24   #1102
BHPian

So I can consider myself fortunate , only one can was available and its for 220 bucks.

There was also Liqui Moly Engine Treatment additive can available. Will it be better than the other options available ?
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:28   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Synthetic oil is enough for the WagonR engine.
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:30   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Synthetic oil is enough for the WagonR engine.
I am out of Vitamin M now, so synthetic is due for next change. For now I got Castrol Magnatec.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:32   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Rs 220 for liqui moly sounds ridiculously low. too low to be true. it's like slightly more than 3 euro. that's not the price even in germany.
please check the authenticity of the bottle.
it sounds like those rs 80 zippo refill oil. only the print on the can is like the original. nothing else is. you realise this after you have used it for some time when the wick goes totally black. with a zippo you can still afford to go wrong. with your car's engine you cannot.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:01   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Rs 220 for liqui moly sounds ridiculously low. too low to be true. it's like slightly more than 3 euro. that's not the price even in germany.
please check the authenticity of the bottle.
it sounds like those rs 80 zippo refill oil. only the print on the can is like the original. nothing else is. you realise this after you have used it for some time when the wick goes totally black. with a zippo you can still afford to go wrong. with your car's engine you cannot.
I know the price is too low, on the can the MRP is not mentioned, its full of german gibberish. When I asked the shopkeeper the price, he tried to look at the can for any mentioned price, but when he didn't find any, he quoted 220, maybe because all the othe brands fall in that range

Also I didn't buy this from any small roadside shop, I got it from Mahajan Automobiles in Lajpat Nagar, who are quite renowned and authorized dealer for Mobil, so I am sure that its not fake.

BTW, how to check if its genuine ?

Edit: 220 is for 300ml can.

Last edited by Shakensoul : 3rd October 2008 at 16:12.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:32   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Boss these things typically cost 10/12 pounds in england. rs 220 sounds like a scam. scamsters always thrive on this very thought process that you are going through - "i got a bargain". there is no such thing as a free lunch.
since this is your engine i am saying all this. ultimately it's your car and your decision.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:55   #1108
BHPian

hi guys!!
iam new to all this, but i have gone through all sorts of thread regarding synthetic oils but havent found a definite answer. i need some advice on sythetic oils for my swift petrol. Maruti recommends 20w40. I have found out that mobil1 has only5w50 grade in synthetic oil. Any tips before changing my engine oil plz

Old 3rd October 2008, 17:09   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Excuse my repetition. but a similar question.
So, if my manufacturer recommends 15W40, I can put 5W40 ?
My understanding is 5W40 will hold good till 5deg Cent as opposed to 15W40 retaining upto 15deg Cent.

Am I right?
No you are not right.
5 or 15 in 5w40 or 15w40 doesn't stand for degree centigrades ! . but yes 5 will be able to withstand colder temperatures than 15. cold here means sub-zero temperatures.
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:17   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Prats
I went for the change recently in my Esteem at 40k km. From earlier Servo to Mobil 1.
Didn't flush the engine, because the Mobil website doesn't recommend that. No harm if you do though. The engine was once decarbonised at around 35k.
The feedback is - after a couple of days the engine has become super smooth. Whether Magnatec would have done the same - I don't really know because I didn't try.
The first two days there were a few hiccups (when you are accelerating), though whether because of the engine oil change I am not too sure.
Whether this oil is worth the four grands - I don't know. Though the Mobil guy told me it's good for at least 15k before the next change, I think he was over promising to make it look like an attractive value proposition.
But since I intend to keep my car for a few years more, thought might as well treat the engine well.
If you want to load your brain with everything you need to and don't need to know about engine oils, go to the carbibles website.

Most Viewed