Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 18:11   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Thanks Sudip. Is it OK to go ahead with Castrol Magnatec for Getz Petrol.
aka...No issues at all have used magnatec in my OHC and now using it in my Palio adventure, its much better then the regular mineral oil. but cant be compared to fully synthetic oil.

pmbabu, they are using the synthetic oil for a while now. i used to use it in my OHC must say it is worth.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:53   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
aka...No issues at all have used magnatec in my OHC and now using it in my Palio adventure, its much better then the regular mineral oil. but cant be compared to fully synthetic oil.

pmbabu, they are using the synthetic oil for a while now. i used to use it in my OHC must say it is worth.
Is it safe to use magnatec for a year as my car will take one year to make 10K KMs
Old 20th October 2008, 18:54   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Is it safe to use magnatec for a year as my car will take one year to make 10K KMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I have been using Mobil1 5w50 on my Alto 1.1 and its really smooth i felt,however not sure about Castrol Magnatec and as Sudipto pointed put you can go ahead and try.
VJ any place in Banglore where i can procure Mobil 1 apart from JC road
Old 20th October 2008, 19:24   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VJ any place in Banglore where i can procure Mobil 1 apart from JC road
Yes Buddy ! The shop is near Minerva Circle --(Hotel Kamat)and its called "Speedaway" Mobil1 Distributor in Bangalore and a 5W50 @ this direct distributor. I will pm you the details, the branch manager is Prasad and you can refer my name as Vijay.
Old 20th October 2008, 19:57   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Buddy ! The shop is near Minerva Circle --(Hotel Kamat)and its called "Speedaway" Mobil1 Distributor in Bangalore and a 5W50 @ this direct distributor. I will pm you the details, the branch manager is Prasad and you can refer my name as Vijay.
Thanks i got the PM.
Old 21st October 2008, 06:21   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Thought will update you guys. I took my NHC for regular service today (at Bangalore) and I was told the oil change would cost 2K - to my puzzled look, the service advisor told me that Honda authorized service centers have been asked to use Honda's in-house synthetic oil from all cars (mine is NHC-iDSI) and also showed me the pamphlet/advt. that said their synthetic oil can be used on all their cars equipped w/ i-VTEC, VTEC and i-DSI engines.

OT: Honda seems to have effected a hike in almost all types of labour charges.
I think if challenged in a court of law this will be seen as a monopolistic practice. I am sure they have carefully worded the pamphlet and it would probably read "recommended". The oil "can be used" does not necessarily mean only the Honda oil "has to be used".
If I am allowed a slight deviation to something related to this -
When Opel came to India with its first batch of Astras they used to insist on using Iftek additive in their engines and used to refuse warranty claims on clogged nozzles unless you could prove that you used Iftek during every petrol refill, which was ridiculous. They thoroughly lost all the court cases and subsequently changed the design to suit Indian fuel.
You can always insist on using your own brand of oil at the service station. I do. In fact the guys you buy your oil from will also happily change your oil and filter for a small handling charge like fifty bucks.
Old 21st October 2008, 11:31   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VJ please do send me the contact details of the Mobil dealer too, am thinking of going for it this oil change.

thanks
Old 21st October 2008, 12:24   #1178
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raccoon & Sudipto for your inputs!

Wil keep everyone updated as and when I make the oil changes.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 21st October 2008, 12:26   #1179
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
VJ please do send me the contact details of the Mobil dealer too, am thinking of going for it this oil change.

thanks
VJ, please do post the address and contact details on this main forum as I am also planning to buy Mobil 1 Oil. It would benefit many of us who are based in Bangalore and are looking for a distributor.

Thanks,

gpa
Old 21st October 2008, 13:43   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Here are the details for Bangy Folks!

With so many of our folks trying to locate the Mobil1 distributor, here are the details

K.Prasad (Branch Manager) Bangalore III Branch
SPEED-A-WAY PVT LTD
no1,Susheela Road,1st Cross
Lalbagh Fort Road,Bangalore-560004
tel#080-41496502
cell#9980551408

You can get the 4L 5W50 for Rs3280 only whereas @ the dealers it is being dispensed for about Rs4200 odd .

From Minerva Circle go towards the Corporation circle and immediately once you cross the minerva circle you hit the Kamat Hotel and diagonally opposite there is one photostudio(forgot the name) its the only studio there and once you enter that lane take 2nd right (Jyothi college) and in that lane you have this shop about 200 meters once in the lane.

You can call up Prasad and get the directions and mention my name as Vijay.

Hope this info helps
cheers:
Old 21st October 2008, 14:55   #1181
BHPian

Synthetic oil for ALTO LXI

I have given my car for servicing after 20,000 kms today. For the engine oil change, I plan to go with a Synthetic oil change.

Please suggest me which one to go with. Castrol Magnatec or Shell Helix?
Or is there any other brand or the specific grade that i need to use.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:57   #1182
BHPian

Folks how to know which car needs how much engine oil. For Getz i came to know from the Hyundai service center. Is this given in user manual
Old 21st October 2008, 15:27   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Folks how to know which car needs how much engine oil. For Getz i came to know from the Hyundai service center. Is this given in user manual
Yes, this is given in the Manual. For Getz its 3.3 Litre.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:20   #1184
BHPian

Castrol Magnatec is not Synthetic, its semi-synthetic.
You can go for Motul ,Mobil. In Castrol you can get Castrol Edge synthetic but very difficult to source.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:28   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Yes ofcourse it is provided in the manual

Quote:
Well ! Any service station folks can let you know but still you can find out from the manual and that is how i found out initially as for a VXI 1.1 alto it is 3.7L and the LX variant having 2.7L as its respective capacities. That answers your query YES! it should be provided or rather is provided in the manual.

Most Viewed