Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 09:52   #1201
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I am using Castrol magnatec since 5K service and I am a very happy customer. Castrol Magnatec is semi synthetic and works well with Alto. Suggest you to use that.

Mobil1 and other syhtetic oils costs a lot (Rs800 / lit or more) and not required for Alto.

Abhi
@akroy - I was looking at Magnatec at Metro and they seem to have packs of difference volumes, 3.5ltr and 4ltr. What did you use for your car. Did you buy the 3.5l or the 4l pack.

Ps: At Metro cash and carry, the billing price of the oil is more than the MRP. I had writted a complaint, but no action was taken since i saw the same error the last time i went there.

Last edited by RAC : 5th November 2008 at 09:56.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:37   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
@akroy - I was looking at Magnatec at Metro and they seem to have packs of difference volumes, 3.5ltr and 4ltr. What did you use for your car. Did you buy the 3.5l or the 4l pack.

Ps: At Metro cash and carry, the billing price of the oil is more than the MRP. I had writted a complaint, but no action was taken since i saw the same error the last time i went there.
Better to get from Open market I got Magnetec 3.5 for 800 bucks. MRP was 850
Old 5th November 2008, 10:46   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
My Spark has done a little over 2500kms, and I was wondering whether it is advisable to put in Mobil1 at 5K?
2.5k is too early. Ideally the change is recommended @10K.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:54   #1204
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Better to get from Open market I got Magnetec 3.5 for 800 bucks. MRP was 850
Hi. So you picked up the 3.5l can for your Getz. Then I assume that 3.5l should also be sufficient for the Alto.
Old 5th November 2008, 11:04   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Hi. So you picked up the 3.5l can for your Getz. Then I assume that 3.5l should also be sufficient for the Alto.
I think yes. Check the manual or call MASS and ask the same.Getz need 3.3L but when they returned the bottle it was not more than 100ml. I got it done from Hyundai in front of me.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 5th November 2008 at 11:05.
Old 16th November 2008, 12:16   #1206

New to cars but Motul 300v sport, Shell helix Gold are the best brands you can opt for a tuned car..The benefits to reap are better engine life and would not help unless the engine is a screamer..my two paisa
Old 17th November 2008, 11:03   #1207
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
VJ please do send me the contact details of the Mobil dealer too, am thinking of going for it this oil change.
Hi lohitrao,

Have you changed oils yet? If so, what has been your initial experiences with the synthetic oil?

Do give me your inputs, as I'm planning on a change for my Santro.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 17th November 2008, 19:51   #1208
BHPian

need advise : safari 2.2 engine oil

The odo on my truck (Dicor 2.2) is nearing 8k and I have decided to get the engine oil changed soon. This would be the first oil change.

Is Caltex Delo 400 Multigrade conclusively better than Castrol GTX 15W40 ? or should I just stick to GTX ?

cheers,
Old 17th November 2008, 21:20   #1209
Senior - BHPian

@ak-47: Choose an API-CI4 oil from a reputed oil company like Castrol,Chevron,Mobil,etc.
It should be a 15W40 for the Safari 2.2
@rr_zen: Glad to help you out,buddy.

Last edited by nitrous : 17th November 2008 at 21:32.
Old 17th November 2008, 21:29   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
what has been your initial experiences with the synthetic oil?

Do give me your inputs, as I'm planning on a change for my Santro.

Thanks,
gpa

I recently switched over to Mobil 1 from the normal Servo for my Esteem that has clocked 19K kms. I have done about 500 km after the oil change and I must acknowledge that the engine is a lot quieter and smoother now. IMO, I would say its worth the money spent.

A big thanks to Nitrous for helping me source the same !
Old 17th November 2008, 22:30   #1211
BHPian

Shell Helix 20W-50

After reading through almost all the posts in this thread, I have finally decided to stick to regular 20W-50 (mineral) for my 2007 model Santro.

In my opinion Synthetic oils do provide better engine protection or so do they claim. Mineral oils do not lag behind either, except for the frequency of oil change which is higher. This is compensated by the lower cost of the Mineral oil.

Yes, I do understand about sludge and other things discussed with the usage of Mineral oil, however regular care and service of car would definitely avoid the build up.

I went ahead and bought Shell Helix 20W-50 (Red can) for my next oil change.

My two cents.

Cheers!
Rajiv
Old 18th November 2008, 09:44   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv.kulkarni View Post
After reading through almost all the posts in this thread, I have finally decided to stick to regular 20W-50 (mineral) for my 2007 model Santro.

In my opinion Synthetic oils do provide better engine protection or so do they claim. Mineral oils do not lag behind either, except for the frequency of oil change which is higher. This is compensated by the lower cost of the Mineral oil.

Yes, I do understand about sludge and other things discussed with the usage of Mineral oil, however regular care and service of car would definitely avoid the build up.

I went ahead and bought Shell Helix 20W-50 (Red can) for my next oil change.

My two cents.

Cheers!
Rajiv
I too dropped my plan of using a fully synthetic oil. Undoubtfully, synthetic oil is the best of all. When I considered my usage, mineral oil is morethan enough. I'm not a fast driver now days, but used to be. For normal driving, mineral oil is morethan enough. I have decided to go for an oil change on every 5K.

Last edited by Swifty2008 : 18th November 2008 at 09:45.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:08   #1213
BHPian

I think you can try Castrol Magnetec which is not fully synthetic nor mineral and cost around 850 bucks for 3.5 liters. Performance i felt better than mineral may not be as best as with fully synthetic
Old 18th November 2008, 11:16   #1214
Senior - BHPian

I've been using Castrol Magnatec for the last 8K km. The engine is much smoother on this oil than mineral oil. I guess this is the oil for those who dont want to spend around 5K just on engine oil.

I too wanted to go for Mobil1 but thought that considering our stop and go driving condition i would have to change the oil atleast every 1500km. Magnatec was just around 1000 and Mobil1 was arounf 4500 rupees. So i thought its better to go for magnatec and change oil every 7500km which is the company recommended service duration.

Have heard real good comments on Mobil 1 and think its worth for those who want that extra care for extra money
Old 18th November 2008, 13:33   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I've been using Castrol Magnatec for the last 8K km. The engine is much smoother on this oil than mineral oil. I guess this is the oil for those who dont want to spend around 5K just on engine oil.

I too wanted to go for Mobil1 but thought that considering our stop and go driving condition i would have to change the oil atleast every 1500km. Magnatec was just around 1000 and Mobil1 was arounf 4500 rupees. So i thought its better to go for magnatec and change oil every 7500km which is the company recommended service duration.

Have heard real good comments on Mobil 1 and think its worth for those who want that extra care for extra money
4.5K for a 4L Mobil1, well in Bangalore one can get it from the distributor for 3.2K and definitely Mobil1 is really smooth to me as I graduated to it from Mineral Oil and I change the oil every 7.5K Kms. Its definitely worth it for that extra care for extra money .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks