Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 11:52   #1591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
Please help me in deciding on whether to switch to the synthetic oil for my 6 months old i10. She has done 6700 kms till now. And she is due for second service by June 15th 2009.

Can I switch to synthetic, if yes, which brand to go?
I think better to go for mineral oil till 10K to 12K may be after 6 months you can switch to synthetic
IMO it ie better to be on mineral throughout but make sure to change the oil every 6 months/5k to 6K KMs. Rest is your choice
Old 26th May 2009, 12:02   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
IMO it ie better to be on mineral throughout but make sure to change the oil every 6 months/5k to 6K KMs. Rest is your choice
Thanks a lot. Please let me know why it is better to be on mineral throughout.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:22   #1593
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know why it is better to be on mineral throughout.
Just to answer your query, there is no reason for you to stay on mineral oil. If you can afford the extra cost then switch to synthetic oil after your engine has run about 10K kms.

Synthetic oils offer far superior lubrication under even the most extreme conditions when compared to mineral oils and hence can be used till the 10K kms mark before an oil change.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 26th May 2009, 12:26   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Please let me know why it is better to be on mineral throughout.
subbusos if you can afford to pay extra cost( 3 to 3.5 times) and your conditions on which you operate is not normal then you can try synthetic.
There are many views on the same. Go through the thread.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:43   #1595
BANNED

At present many semi-synths like Magnatec, Petronas Mach 5 etc are rated API-SM as are the full synths like Mobil 1, Syntium etc. I will say that there may be a benefit in using full synths only if:

1. You intend to extend the drain intervals beyond 10,000km (once a year is still a must).

2. Drive under extreme conditions, or have an engine for which Synthetic is clearly specified.

3. Have excess of money, or like to brag about using full synth.

I will stick to a semi-synths.

Most modern car engines do not rev beyond 6500 rpm (most to under 6000 rpm only). This is not extreme usage. Remember the old FIAT 128 was redlines at 8,300 rpm in the late 1970's. I see no reason to spend 3-5 times the money otherwise.

If you go to the API specifications only API-SJ, SL and SM are current. Our 'sarkari' oil companies are still selling oils to obsolete specs.
Old 26th May 2009, 21:01   #1596
BHPian

Where can I get Mobil Devalc Mx in Chennai?
Old 26th May 2009, 21:29   #1597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
At present many semi-synths like Magnatec, Petronas Mach 5 etc are rated API-SM as are the full synths like Mobil 1, Syntium etc. I will say that there may be a benefit in using full synths only if:

1. You intend to extend the drain intervals beyond 10,000km (once a year is still a must).

2. Drive under extreme conditions, or have an engine for which Synthetic is clearly specified.

3. Have excess of money, or like to brag about using full synth.

I will stick to a semi-synths.
Absolutely. I cant imagine why a car being used for normal in-city commutes or even the occasional high speed run on the expressway or highways would require synth. Yes i would love to use synth but the price and the lack of proper viscosities (5W-50 is most common, the wrong grade for most Indian cars) is a turn off.

But then as they say Sir ji, to each his own.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th May 2009 at 21:30.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:27   #1598
BHPian

dude stick to mineral oil.the synthetics are absurdly priced. the cost to benefit is a bomb.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:38   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Ramesh, check with chennai bhpians. I think nitrous knows where
Old 27th May 2009, 13:09   #1600
BANNED

Greenhorn
Sent you a P M. please reply
Cheers
Dilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Ramesh, check with chennai bhpians. I think nitrous knows where
Old 27th May 2009, 18:08   #1601
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a Bolero VLX CRDe and was thinking of switching to Synthetic oil right from the first service itself. On asking the Serviec manager of M&M, he answered in negative and said their R&D feels that the power output will reduce rather than improve.

Can this be true?
Old 27th May 2009, 18:12   #1602
Team-BHP Support

Which is the synthetic oil you are getting for the CRDe? dont use synthetic oils made for petrol like Mobil 1.

Your service adviser is advising wrong, mostly because he also has no clue where to get synthetics for diesels Performance will not be affected in any way.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:57   #1603
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Which is the synthetic oil you are getting for the CRDe? dont use synthetic oils made for petrol like Mobil 1.

Your service adviser is advising wrong, mostly because he also has no clue where to get synthetics for diesels Performance will not be affected in any way.
This is definitely a grey area. I'd be much more comfortable using Delvac 1, which is formulated only for diesels. However, the supplies are thin in India. Merc India recommends & uses only Mobil 1 in all its diesel engines!
Old 28th May 2009, 15:25   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

I have not decided which one to use. I wanted to know whether synthetics would make any improvement in engine life or not and spoke to the Regional Service Head of M&M who told me that their R&D at plant advises not to use synthetics on the Bolero CRDe Engine. They advise usage of synthetic on the Logan but not on Scorpio or Bolero or any other DI Engine. He was talking something about sophisticated engine and all. May be because Scorpio and Bolero engine's are derived from Tractor engine's they perform the best with simple things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is definitely a grey area. I'd be much more comfortable using Delvac 1, which is formulated only for diesels. However, the supplies are thin in India. Merc India recommends & uses only Mobil 1 in all its diesel engines!
Now even If I have to use synthetic, which ones would be ideal? What oil do you use on your Jeep?
Old 28th May 2009, 23:02   #1605
BHPian

i changed from gm recommended elf mineral oil to chevron dello gold 15w40 for my optra magnum
its a isosynthetic oil costs rs 182/- per litre
engine is smoother, better pickup and mileage increased by 0.5 kpl
dealer said i only need to change oil after 10 to 15 k but i am going to stick to 5 k
was looking for fully synthetic but felt its a total waste cant justifly spending 4-5 times more
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-23042009294.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks