Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 08:45   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Even currently the Power 1 brand for bikes does not even mention what viscosity it is! And yet they make a blanket claim that its recmmended for ALL modern bikes from Yamaha, TVS, HH, Honda, Bajaj, etc, etc. Why do they do this? Obviously so that they can sell that oil to ALL bike users. If they mentioned the truth, probably half the demand for that brand would die instantly.

Clever marketing!
How many out there go and read the specs and buy something ? If a well known and established brand recommends something people will believe in it and buy it. That's one reason you pay premium for a brand name. When was the last time you read the contents of Vicks Action 500 or Crocin before you popped one?
Old 20th July 2009, 10:46   #1742
Team-BHP Support

Castrol india page keeps on harping about critical factors etc., but nowhere mentiones its fully synthetic. But dealers claim its synthetic.
However the castrol edge(not turbo diesel) I saw in shops had API-SM/CF i.e good for petrol engines, normal for diesel.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:15   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Usually your MASS will have an additive like 3M's gearbox oil additive which they will use if you ask for it. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
...I would seriousy suggest you stay away from such additives. Oils and aftermarket additives just dont go together.
Unable to compute. Serious system error. Brain shutting down.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:41   #1744
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Reboot please
Old 20th July 2009, 15:26   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How many out there go and read the specs and buy something ? If a well known and established brand recommends something people will believe in it and buy it. That's one reason you pay premium for a brand name. When was the last time you read the contents of Vicks Action 500 or Crocin before you popped one?
Don't know about you, but you can always count on me to check the contents/ingredients. And yes, people believe and buy... but this is a community of auto enthusiasts... so a li'l more descretion is expected, don't you agree? And here the premium you are paying is simply for what is assumed. Not for what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Hehe... Well, shut down, format, reinstall everything, and don't install oil additives.

Jokes aside, you could try changing the grade and/or brand of your gear oil, within the permissible limits. Generally a thicker oil will make if feel smoother.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:52   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How many out there go and read the specs and buy something ?
I for one used to check the grade of oil and tried to use the best one, from the early eighties. There were no forums like this to help at that time. But there were books like "AAA Encyclopaedia of the Car". (which is still with me.)
Old 20th July 2009, 21:29   #1747
BHPian

Mobil or Castrol Edge Turbo diesel for fully synthetic engine oil for Swift DDiS?

How come Castrol Edge fully synthetic is just 200 per liter when Mobil sells fully synthetic for almost 1000 per liter?
Old 20th July 2009, 21:55   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Castrol india page keeps on harping about critical factors etc., but nowhere mentiones its fully synthetic. But dealers claim its synthetic.
However the castrol edge(not turbo diesel) I saw in shops had API-SM/CF i.e good for petrol engines, normal for diesel.
Castrol India seems to be very cagey about this oil. No specs, no literature. I had to go visit the Castrol UK site to get the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Mobil or Castrol Edge Turbo diesel for fully synthetic engine oil for Swift DDiS?

How come Castrol Edge fully synthetic is just 200 per liter when Mobil sells fully synthetic for almost 1000 per liter?
Only Rs 200/litre?? Unbelievable. Good quality mineral multigrade costs that much. If it IS Rs 200 and Castrol Edge IS pure synth, then I will buy a can for my next oil change.

Regards,
Old 20th July 2009, 22:12   #1749
Senior - BHPian

i too had mentioned this earlier. castrol has the worst style of marketing and product display. when i was hunting for a 80w90 gear box oil all the dealers here in pune were eagerly handing the Castrol TQ oil.
what the heck there is no grade and specs on the can. its just written automatic transmission and power steering applications
Old 20th July 2009, 23:57   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rs. 200/lt? Are you sure? Thats a good price! Seems worth buying... just don't belive that you are buying a real fully synth product... thats the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Castrol India seems to be very cagey about this oil. No specs, no literature. I had to go visit the Castrol UK site to get the info.
The specs that are given on the UK site may very well not hold true for the Indian product. Which MNC sells the same stuff under the same brand in all countries??

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i too had mentioned this earlier. castrol has the worst style of marketing and product display. when i was hunting for a 80w90 gear box oil all the dealers here in pune were eagerly handing the Castrol TQ oil.
what the heck there is no grade and specs on the can. its just written automatic transmission and power steering applications
Its all deliberately done. I'd just ignore such products. Unlike few years ago, there are many other better brands to choose from... and they haven't adopted these kind of crafty tactics.

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th July 2009 at 23:59.
Old 21st July 2009, 00:53   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For christ's sake, Magnatec costs more!
Old 21st July 2009, 05:29   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Castrol Edge turbodiesel is API-CI4 and exceeds the required specification of your car. You can go for it.
Cost for 4 liters should be around 2000rs
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post1388283

Oh my bad, sorry guys its 2000 for 4 liters. That s Rs.500.00 bucks per liter. .Still half the price of Mobil??

Last edited by srikant : 21st July 2009 at 05:31.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:02   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I came to know that Castrol Edge Turbo diesel has a CF rating and not suitable for DDIS or MJD engines which need a minimum of CG rating. So beware when you use Castrol Edge Turbo diesel for Swift D or Punto/palio MJD. Details provided in the link below -

PBA-Edge Turbo Diesel
Old 21st July 2009, 11:29   #1754
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Castrol India seems to be very cagey about this oil. No specs, no literature.
I was looking to switch to Castrol's Edge at my car's 10K service and this is exactly what made me change my mind about it.
In the end I went in for Mobil 1.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:29   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Folks,

I came to know that Castrol Edge Turbo diesel has a CF rating and not suitable for DDIS or MJD engines which need a minimum of CG rating. So beware when you use Castrol Edge Turbo diesel for Swift D or Punto/palio MJD. Details provided in the link below -

PBA-Edge Turbo Diesel

But as per Quadrajet Manual, oil should be API-CH4+ or higher grade!

Most Viewed