Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 11:35   #1756
Senior - BHPian

My Getz 1.3 is nearing 40k mark. I think I will go for fully synthetic engine oil at this service.

Which brand is most preferred? I somehow have comfort with Mobil1 and was thinking 5W-50. Is this the right one? Indicative costs on this thread suggest ~Rs 800/ltr.

What other things would I need? Flush? Which is a good brand here?
Old 21st July 2009, 11:59   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
But as per Quadrajet Manual, oil should be API-CH4+ or higher grade!
In which Case Quadrajet also is debarred from using Castrol Edge turbo Diesel.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:03   #1758
Senior - BHPian

when i was looking for a synthetic oil castrol edge was costing me 2150rs. the dealer was very well saying its fully synthetic and oil change interval is 20000 kms

then i saw a can of petronas syntium 3000. after bargaining a lot he agreed for ~ 2200rs.
its fully synthetic oil and has following standards

PETRONAS Lubricants - Passenger Car Motor Oil

Standards
SAE 5W-40
API SL/CF
ACEA A3-98/B3-96/B4-98
DaimlerChrysler MB 229.3
Volkswagen VW 502.00 / 505.00
BMW Long Life LL-98
Porsche Approved

so far the oil has proved to be very good. have done almost 10k. my friend also picked up syntium 5000 for his swift. its a very good oil and VFM.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 21st July 2009 at 12:04.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:37   #1759
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
What other things would I need? Flush? Which is a good brand here?
Mobil 1 is a good oil, you can also use Petronas Syntium and OWS as well. There is a whole thread on OWS in the technical section. Do check that out. As for the flush, you can go for the OWS flush or 3M as well.

Just be sure that every drop of the oil is drained out from the crankcase before filling in the new oil. Removing the dipstick and engine oil filler cap helps the drain process, by letting the air escape easily.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:08   #1760
BHPian

So as of now i see that OWS and Mobil are the reliable synthetic oil for Swift Diesel.
Old 23rd July 2009, 23:32   #1761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I was looking to switch to Castrol's Edge at my car's 10K service and this is exactly what made me change my mind about it.
In the end I went in for Mobil 1.
Some info on Castrol Edge from their site. This dates back to when Edge was introduced in Jan 2006. Note the claim that it is fully synthetic 5W-40 oil meeting API SL specs. Which is now superceded by SM.

Castrol India - Castrol India launches Castrol EDGE

Rgds,
Old 31st July 2009, 13:58   #1762
Senior - BHPian

my friend is using MOBIL1 fully synthetic oil since last 2 oil changes. now he wants to switch over to regular mineral oil.

which is the best mineral oil that is suggested after the use of synthetic oil. will there be any oil leakages? his zen has done about 70k kms.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:10   #1763
BHPian

My Cedia is 20K+ run and I am interested in changing the oil to Synthetic now (Sheel Ultra Helix).The manual says I should be using 5w 30 oil. Will get a 5W 30 in Shell Ultra Helix, if not what should I use?
Old 31st July 2009, 18:26   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
my friend is using MOBIL1 fully synthetic oil since last 2 oil changes. now he wants to switch over to regular mineral oil.

which is the best mineral oil that is suggested after the use of synthetic oil. will there be any oil leakages? his zen has done about 70k kms.
I don't think you will ever get a clear cut consensus on which is the best oil. You can change to any mineral oil of any reputed brand. Mobil itself has mineral variants... try those! That said, its a good idea to stick to one brand of oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
My Cedia is 20K+ run and I am interested in changing the oil to Synthetic now (Sheel Ultra Helix).The manual says I should be using 5w 30 oil. Will get a 5W 30 in Shell Ultra Helix, if not what should I use?
If you can't get the recommended viscosity, then its best not to consider a change.
Old 1st August 2009, 07:37   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Here is slightly different spin on the subject. Regardless of kms run, changing the oil/filter at 6 months is a very good thing for engine life. Of course if you rack up kms at a high rate then this does not apply, follow the recommended kms for the change by the auto maker, even if the oil maker is ok with extended drain.
But the high cost of the synthetic should not deter you from following the 6 month recommendation. If it does, you are better off with a good mineral oil of the right grade, changed every six months at the outermost limit.
Along with good running in, this is the single largest factor in long and reliable engine life. And, in the case of turbo diesels, a well maintained air filter.
Bottom line, use synthetic if it is affordable under a regime such as this. Quite honestly, for ordinary road use, much of the premium that you pay is for the oilcos profits, and for your mental satisfaction. Engine life benefit would be a distant third place.
PS: Good running in practice includes an oil change at 1000kms, even if the auto maker does not see the need for it

Last edited by Sawyer : 1st August 2009 at 07:44. Reason: PS
Old 1st August 2009, 11:40   #1766
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
But the high cost of the synthetic should not deter you from following the 6 month recommendation.
This would apply to fully synth oils if your usage is extensive and driving conditions are extreme. Else, a good fully synthetic oil can be changed at the 10,000 kms or one year mark which ever is earlier.

Would make better sense to follow this for all mineral oils.

Last edited by gpa : 1st August 2009 at 11:44. Reason: typo
Old 1st August 2009, 15:09   #1767
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Pretty much. The newer oils are good for 1 year (minerals included!). I guess older oils and cars needed a change every 6 months... hence these recommendations still do the rounds. Our car sees a change once a year, as recommened by Maruti. I don't see any sense in throwing out good oil every 6 months. This is of course assuming that the running does not exceed about 8 - 10 k km in that period.
Old 1st August 2009, 18:22   #1768
Senior - BHPian

The stop start conditions in Indian cities, that do not allow for the oil to come up to full operating temperatures, allow for residue and water build up that then remains suspended in the oil, and qualify for what is described as severe operating conditions in most car manuals. I prefer to throw away my oil after 6 months, and I like the way my engines perform under this regime. It is even worse in the case of diesels, which hate stopstarts more than petrols.
Of course most people sell their cars in 4-5 years these days, so this is possibly not of interest to most people.
To each his own of course, it is just that my preference has been to not let oil that is more than 6 month use remain in the sump. Even if it is Mobil 1. Which is why I have now switched back to good brand minerals. Given my driving in the cities, where I do not explore the upper reaches of the rpm bands often, I find that this makes more sense. And economy.
Old 1st August 2009, 19:31   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

Simple arithmetic works here:

a) Cost of 4 ltrs of synth oil (say Mobil1) - Rs 4000/-
b) Cost of 4 ltrs mineral or semi synth - ~1200 (Castrol Magnatec) June 09 batch

Assuming a mfr recommended interval of 1 year/10K Kms, you could change the oil thrice over in a year for the cost of a synthetic fill and have a few hundred bucks left over. This is leaving environmental considerations aside.

OR, if I change mineral or semi synth oil at 6 month/5K kms interval I still save Rs 1600 on oil per annum. Not much in todays terms but these are tough times. Comon guys we all love our cars but lets not get carried away by synth. I'd have loved to use synth regularly had it been reasonably priced.

The choice is quite obvious for me at least.

Rgds,
Old 1st August 2009, 20:45   #1770
BHPian

but as FIAT says about Linea, synt oli can be changed/stretched at 15K KMs.
Like my Mech, I feel that 10K is too early for Mobil 1 oil change. Just check if the Oil filter needs to be changed, due to clogged up sludge.

Interestingly, an acquaintance used (uses) Mobil 1 in his Car for 10K KMs , then uses it in Water pump and tractors at his farms in Nashik.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks