Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:15   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
As far as I know, Maruti, Hyundai and Tata recommends oil change every 6 months for their vehicles, irrespective of the number of kms. Which manufacturer/ vehicle recommends oil change every one year?
Not true. Modern Maruti Cars have 1 year/10000 km oil changes.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:04   #1802
Senior - BHPian

@patiencewins:
I have both the maruti manual and a Tata Manual that says replace every year. I dont own a hyundai.
I can scan and post, once you scan and post the facts from a manual of Tata, Hyundai and Maruti.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:31   #1803
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai also recommends an oil change every 10,000 kms/1 year which ever is earlier.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:02   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Hyundai also recommends an oil change every 10,000 kms/1 year which ever is earlier.
That is good news for me. I need to check with the manual and service advisor. I was of the impression that it is 10,000 kms/6 months which ever is earlier, as part of the service interval. My concern is whether I would lose out on warranty and whether it is recommended to prolong the oil change with synthetics. I have 3 years of extended warranty left. Dealer would look out for some reason to void warranty if a major claim arises in the future.

I have not decided about going for synthetics as my daily running is less now - 10000 kms/ year. I do not want to drain synthetics after 5000 kms of usage - IMO, it is quite a wastage of money.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:13   #1805
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have not decided about going for synthetics as my daily running is less now - 10000 kms/ year. I do not want to drain synthetics after 5000 kms of usage.
PW,

Not too sure if I understood your statement fully. Why would your fully synth oil have to be changed every 5,000 kms if you say you run ~10,000 kms a year?

In that case you will benefit from the switch to fully synth. It will not void your warranty. Also, you can check with the service advisor before you make the switch.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:55   #1806
BHPian

I have been reading this thread for quite a while now and here are my 2 rupees(indian hoon bhai.. cents nahi hai ) on the same

Well it has been more than 5K Kms without oil change in my Wagon R and I am now thinking of changing the oil.

After reading through this discussion, I am somewhat convinced that synthetic oil is not for me. Now dont get me wrong . I do understand that synthetic oil offers much better protection for engine ESPECIALLY in the following 2 areas

1. Cold Start
2. High revving

However I have my own take on these 2 aspects

Now as far as the 1st point ( Cold Start) is concerned, if you listened to your friendly MASS service advisor and maruti representative, you would know that you should ALWAYS ALWAYS let your car idle for 1 min when the car has not been started for last 4-5 hours. I have always followed that religiously and the oft mentioned excessive noise which comes from engine initially subsides substantially after 40 -50 seconds.

2nd point being the more free high revving. Its my belief that anyone who is a bit particular about spending extra money than absolutely necessary will definately be concerned about FE ( another money saver) . Now afaik good FE and high revving dont go together that well. This takes care of the second point.

Apart from the above mentioned points, I dont see any other MAJOR reason for switching over to 2.5x expensive synthetic oil.

I was trying to convice myself for the last 2 days to put in the extra money for synths but in the end better sense prevailed and now I will stick to good old mineral oil.

Please do note that 'each one to his own' i.e. am not trying to influence your decision in any way. I am just saying what seems right for me.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:11   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PW,

Not too sure if I understood your statement fully. Why would your fully synth oil have to be changed every 5,000 kms if you say you run ~10,000 kms a year?

In that case you will benefit from the switch to fully synth. It will not void your warranty. Also, you can check with the service advisor before you make the switch.

Cheers,
gpa
What I meant was that it makes sense to switch to synthetic if I need to change oil only every 1 year/ 10000 kms, which ever occurs earlier. I will check with the service advisor. Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:02   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well said Sawyer :-) In my case it would be engineering as I use the Mobil 1. If you check the Mobil 1 website, they have mentioned about the tests carried out using Mobil 1 and the conditions of the engine pre/post testing. It actually makes a difference in your car's oil sump.
And you fall for what they say, hook line and sinker??!! Could they ever say anything else?
PS: Just got a new i 20. The manual says - change in 6 months in severe operating conditions. Includes things such as stop/start motoring in definition of severe.

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd August 2009 at 16:06. Reason: PS
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:33   #1809
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
And you fall for what they say, hook line and sinker??!!
Putting all your analogies aside, do all the others who use it and benefit fall for what they say? Read the first post of this thread and you'll know.

Also, it is you who have said what's below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That is precisely the reason for a forum, and it is for readers to then make up their own minds as to what makes sense to them. Emotional, engineering and economic!
To each his own.

Cheers mate!
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:41   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Putting all your analogies aside, do all the others who use it and benefit fall for what they say? Read the first post of this thread and you'll know.

Also, it is you who have said what's below.

To each his own.

Cheers mate!
I agree. I have given my engineering/economic reasons for what I believe, devoid of emotion. But, to each his own, it is a free country and part of that is fora like these.
Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:09   #1811
BHPian

Optra Magnum oil change - Help please

Hi All,
I have been out of country and my Optra Magnum (Tdci) had not been used for the past 45 days.
The car has clocked nearly 12500Kms and the last oil change was in the month of March 2009 during the regular service.
After going through the thread I am seriously considering an oil change in my car before I use it.

I request the fellow bhpians to point me in the right direction.
(The Optra Magnum buy was based on the opinion of TBHP...and I am loving my car)
1. I plan to change to Shell Helix Plus 5W30 - is it ok
2. Changing to a full synthetic oil - is it advisable at this point

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:10   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You see it as 100%-150% more.
I just see it as 1500 bucks more every 9-12 months. Thats like 150 bucks a month.
Yeahh. It all depends on how one chooses to view it. Similar to the half empty-half full theory.

Rgds,
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:06   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukaan View Post
Hi All,
I have been out of country and my Optra Magnum (Tdci) had not been used for the past 45 days.
The car has clocked nearly 12500Kms and the last oil change was in the month of March 2009 during the regular service.
After going through the thread I am seriously considering an oil change in my car before I use it.

I request the fellow bhpians to point me in the right direction.
(The Optra Magnum buy was based on the opinion of TBHP...and I am loving my car)
1. I plan to change to Shell Helix Plus 5W30 - is it ok
2. Changing to a full synthetic oil - is it advisable at this point

Thanks in advance
In a diesel, I would be even more scrupulous about the 6 month oil change rule, given the dirtier internal environment in it. So, changing the oil is a good idea. And I do not personally think that anything better than Castrol RX Super plus, that is a CH 4 15W 40 oil for around Rs 250 a litre is necessary. Or its equivalent. But if the car manual specifies oil thinner than the 15W, then I would not use the RX. And whatever I used, I would not keep it in the sump for more than 6 months. Even if it cost me an arm and a leg to change!
I would also get the air filter cleaned every three months - can be done for free, and is a vital part of keeping turbo diesels in good shape.

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd August 2009 at 21:07.
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:35   #1814
Senior - BHPian

^^ Usually, diesels are bought for high running. So, they pretty much do the 10,000 is 6-8 months. Don't forget that engine-eers know they're building a diesel and that its dirtier and they build a suitable lubricant filtration system around it. The lubricants for diesels are engineered the same way as well.
Old 4th August 2009, 00:11   #1815
BHPian

Very informative indeed. however just wanted to reinstate that there was a company called Tata Bp which used to sell semi synthetic engine oil with the grade 15W40 in the mid 90's i used to use the same in my premier padmini and used to get great performance in terms of increased pick up and reduced noise levels to such a high extent that while idleing it will be difficult to make out if the engine was on or off. i would really recommend the same to all owners of the old cars not sure though if it will be e suitable for the new generation cars

Most Viewed