Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 12:22   #1936
Team-BHP Support

arre yaar tsk Honda in bangalore sells synthetics these days! As far as honda goes i will completely agree with your thoughts.

Overpriced and over hyped brand in India lol
Old 12th August 2009, 07:54   #1937
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am surprised, though the Honda recommendation is 8000kms when you convert. Most people in the US would rack that up in 2 months. Maybe a regular car user in the US can shed some light on this. If I did 5000kms a month in the US, with a good synth, I would feel comfortable with an oil change every 15000kms. Let's see if we get any actual user input on this, all I know about the US practice is from casual conversation with my friends when I am there. And reading on the subject.
US Honda has 3000 mile oil change

US is worse. It is 3000 miles !! Here is an excerpt from the Honda Service Schedules:

Minor Service Interval
Mileage: 3,000 - 6,000 - 18,000 - 21,000 - etc.
Engine oil and filter - replace
Fluid levels - top off all
Lube hinges, locks, latches, and hood cable

I had pm'ed @Sawyer but thought others may also wish to know.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:43   #1938
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is that Honda is being consistent, that translates to 5000kms, give or take. I can't see too many Americans in compliance, but will defer to any actual user comment.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:34   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But since the purity of the oil is the responsibility of the customer, it is prudent to double check the source, and preserve the sale invoice of the oil carefully for future use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
He was clear in stating that the purity of the oil will have to be checked by the customer.
A query related to this point. If the oil happens to be spurious despite all precautions, can it be found out during usage? I mean, will there be any odd symptoms like engine overheating etc., so that we can at least flush it from the engine immediately?

Last edited by Gansan : 12th August 2009 at 09:39.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:00   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A query related to this point. If the oil happens to be spurious despite all precautions, can it be found out during usage? I mean, will there be any odd symptoms like engine overheating etc., so that we can at least flush it from the engine immediately?
There are various Symptoms of wrong/spurious oil in Engine. Some commonly noticeable ones are -

1. Low power/Torque output from engine. Driving is painful because of repeated down shifting.
2. High engine noise
3. Smokey exhaust especially in Diesels
4. In severe cases Check engine light glows. May lead to seizure of engine.

Engine normally doesn't get overheated as radiators are over designed in a car and can handle much higher capacities to cool of the engine.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:26   #1941
BHPian

I feel we have to be very careful regarding recycled/spurious engine oil. Even two decades earlier, recycled oil was commonly sold mostly branded as the then costliest Castrol. (at least in Kerala)
Old 12th August 2009, 10:35   #1942
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
I feel we have to be very careful regarding recycled/spurious engine oil. Even two decades earlier, recycled oil was commonly sold mostly branded as the then costliest Castrol. (at least in Kerala)
This was (and is) a consistent problem. Castrol was (and presumably still is) the most popular brand with the fakers. One must go to a reliable source. I therefore get my oils from Gwalior where we have a source we are sure of. I have a feeling that this is a bigger problem in the smaller cities that in the metros.
Old 12th August 2009, 11:49   #1943
BHPian

Question to oil Guru's

Hi Folks,

I use a Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w50 for my Accent CRDi. I hope this isn't an issue.

Thanks and Regards

Sateesh
Old 12th August 2009, 12:04   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Hi Folks,

I use a Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w50 for my Accent CRDi. I hope this isn't an issue.

Thanks and Regards

Sateesh
If you source it from a reputed dealer or better company stockist then it would be guaranteed genuine. Hence I go for dealers or stockists and buy from them even if it means travelling 10+ kms to source it.
Old 12th August 2009, 12:10   #1945
Team-BHP Support

Shouldnt be a big issue but stick to 5-7k changes since its not a diesel specific synthetic and will not have much of detergent in it, which modern diesel engines would ideally need.
Old 12th August 2009, 12:51   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
If you source it from a reputed dealer or better company stockist then it would be guaranteed genuine. Hence I go for dealers or stockists and buy from them even if it means travelling 10+ kms to source it.
Yes I pick it up from the Dealer itself.

But is 5w50 the ideal one for CRDi engines?

Regards

Sateesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Shouldnt be a big issue but stick to 5-7k changes since its not a diesel specific synthetic and will not have much of detergent in it, which modern diesel engines would ideally need.
Hi Jaggu,

What do you recommend for the modern diesel engines? Mobil1 Delvac? But it is very difficult to source the Mobil1 Delvac in 4 ltr cans.

Thanks and Regards

Sateesh

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th August 2009 at 12:58. Reason: back to back posts, please use multi quotes. Thanks
Old 12th August 2009, 12:59   #1947
Team-BHP Support

Yup Mobil Delvac 1 ideally but i havent seen one can in my life, it exists only in cyberspace or something. Atleast here in India.

This is the primary reason why am sticking to mineral delvac, unless a good source is identified i dont want to shift and then wonder what to do at next change
Old 12th August 2009, 13:42   #1948
Senior - BHPian

even mercedes can't source it to pour in their diesels and use regular synth, the stuff they use for petrols ( I think I read it in GTO's ownership thread)

Think the only dude I know who has a diesel running on synth is rippergeo, who got hold of some OWS turboracing via petes
Old 12th August 2009, 14:18   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
But is 5w50 the ideal one for CRDi engines?
Mobil 1 is not an oil recommended for Diesels but people on this forum have used it on Diesels without any issues. Having said that would I go and use it on my car - I will not. I would rather buy Mobil Delvac 1 and use the same or use Mobil Delvac MX (A Good Mineral oil).
Old 12th August 2009, 14:19   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup Mobil Delvac 1 ideally but i havent seen one can in my life, it exists only in cyberspace or something. Atleast here in India.

This is the primary reason why am sticking to mineral delvac, unless a good source is identified i dont want to shift and then wonder what to do at next change
I am talking to distributor / dealer to see if they can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
even mercedes can't source it to pour in their diesels and use regular synth, the stuff they use for petrols ( I think I read it in GTO's ownership thread)

Think the only dude I know who has a diesel running on synth is rippergeo, who got hold of some OWS turboracing via petes
@greenhorn

I understand Merc is unable to source it but talking to the dealer gives me a very different impression. No committed business and hence he doesn't want to source it as it isn't an Hot product with others because of its price.

Just my opinion

I don't have a lot of complaints by using 5w50 but if I can use the Delvac Synthetic and use the recommended why not is the question.

Cheers

Sateesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks