Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 23:00   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I have a query reg the oil change I made recently. Till 75k I have been getting the oil changed at the specified intervals at the HONDA A.S.S. ( 2001 OHC ).

this time, I purchased CASTROL MAGNATEC SEMI SYNTHETIC oil and got it changed at an independent garage.

when i check the oil in the dip stick after the change, the oil is NOT AS CLEAR as the oil in the can. is this because of residual dirt in the engine after all these years ??

secondly, for normal driving conditions, does the fully synthetic oil justify its price ( more than 4 times mineral oil price ) ?
can the synthetic oil be changed once in 20k kms ?

thanks
Old 12th August 2009, 23:16   #1967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Hi
I have a query reg the oil change I made recently. Till 75k I have been getting the oil changed at the specified intervals at the HONDA A.S.S. ( 2001 OHC ).

this time, I purchased CASTROL MAGNATEC SEMI SYNTHETIC oil and got it changed at an independent garage.

when i check the oil in the dip stick after the change, the oil is NOT AS CLEAR as the oil in the can. is this because of residual dirt in the engine after all these years ??

Yes possibly. Ideally you should have used a flush before changing to synth after all these years.

secondly, for normal driving conditions, does the fully synthetic oil justify its price ( more than 4 times mineral oil price ) ?

Regarding the price, now that is the million dollar question that we still cant find an answer to on this thread. Search and you will know what I mean. Have fun!

And BTW, you cannot extend drain intervals to 20K kms unless specified by the car mfr OR the oil is classified as extended drain.

Please follow mfr drain intervals for your type of running which is mostly severe in Indian stop & go driving conditions.

thanks
Answers inline in bold
Old 13th August 2009, 04:15   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

thanks
No offense meant, but this triggers the old saying of - read the whole ramayana to you, and now you turn around and ask, who was Sita!
I guess it is the format of the forum that encourages this and is the reason why this thread has so many pages and still going strong - But with little new in most, I suspect, I haven't taken the time to read all posts myself!
You may find what you want by reading the posts of the last couple of weeks, if you want to know more.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:28   #1969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi

Oil will change color, thats normal and thats what they are supposed to do. But if the color change is very stark you have too much muck inside. Dont bother too much now, just do a normal flush at next oil change, maybe do it a lil early.

Quote:

thanks
Part 1- I personally dont recommend, unless you are very finicky like most of us here, unless if you are into red lining and do lot of stop and go city driving in hot ambient temperature and very long highway trips again in extreme weather.

The advantages will be minimal otherwise and use good Semi Synth like Magnatec (they are NOT fully synthetic). Ideally change them before 7k kms.

Part 2- I wouldnt recommend keeping synthetics for 20k, unless they are specifically branded as extended drain. Even then 12-15k kms is ideal if you drive in city traffic.

Safe limit for normal synthetic i prescribe would be 10k kms, beyond which oil would have absorbed lot of gunk which is best removed from the system.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th August 2009 at 10:30.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:07   #1970
Senior - BHPian

An update - I was at the Hyundai A.S.S today to change out the oil on my i 20 and I found that they use Shell Helix mineral 15w40 of the API SL grade for oil changes. I carried Magnatec for its 10w40 API SM spec, I think that is a good oil for the marginal premium over the Shell. But in future, I might quit doing that, for the convenience of letting Hyundai do it all. In Pune, I do not worry about Hyundai using spurious oils.
Old 17th August 2009, 22:29   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian

Mobil 1 India Site

Guys,

This is what I discovered today. Mobil 1 India - The World's Leading Synthetic Engine Oil

A India specific site with all the normal jive about Mobil1 and synthetics. Mobil offers only 2 viscosities - 0W-40 and 5W-50. :(

No synthetic gearbox oil or grease. Bah! Comon Mobil!!

Rgds,
Old 17th August 2009, 22:44   #1972
Team-BHP Support

R2D2 that site was there for long! If you want info on anything in particular use the contact option or emails.
Old 17th August 2009, 23:00   #1973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
R2D2 that site was there for long! If you want info on anything in particular use the contact option or emails.
Sorry Jaggu. Saw it for the 1st time hence thought it had been put up recently. Therefore thought of sharing it here.

Please delete that post.

Thanks & regards,
Old 17th August 2009, 23:20   #1974
Team-BHP Support

Good refresher though.

A related good news thanks to the relentless follow up by a fellow Tbhp'ian, i came to know that we might be getting Mobil Delvac 1 (Diesel specific oil), in couple of months here in India (4 Liter packs).
Old 17th August 2009, 23:22   #1975
Team-BHP Support

Will it be here within 4 months ? Thats the time I will finish my Delo can and might need to look at Mobil in case Chevron does close down its India operations.
Old 18th August 2009, 00:25   #1976
Team-BHP Support

It should be, thats the info we got for now. Even now they have it but only available in 208 liter barells, so.
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:00   #1977
BHPian

Today I replaced my Swift VXI Engine Oil with Castrol Magnatec. I purchased the oil from a authorised dealer. 3 litre can + 2 * .5 litre + filter cost me Rs. 1200. I thought 4 litres were required but on the replacement done at a MASS found that only 3.5 were required.
Can anyone confirm the quantity required. Now to return the .5 ltre can back.
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:10   #1978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Today I replaced my Swift VXI Engine Oil with Castrol Magnatec. I purchased the oil from a authorised dealer. 3 litre can + 2 * .5 litre + filter cost me Rs. 1200. I thought 4 litres were required but on the replacement done at a MASS found that only 3.5 were required.
Please check your owners manual. Volume of oil is stated for capacities with and without the oil filter. Never exceed the stated quantity as it can be detrimental to the engine.

In case the dealer doesnt accept the extra oil back, you can always buy less (say a 3 litre can) for your next oil change to compensate.

Rgds,
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:35   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
I quantity required for Getz 1.3 is 3.3 litres. So I think 3+0.5 L pack would be enough for swift petrol. I think you can return the 0.5L pack by showing the bill.

Hows the experience after shifting to Castrol Magnatec? I have heard many good reviews about it.
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:57   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hows the experience after shifting to Castrol Magnatec? I have heard many good reviews about it.
Today I had taken the vehicle to Lavasa from Panvel. Frankly speaking nothing much to report on the difference. But then I feel that my vehicle having only clocked around 15000 kms the difference cannot be much to feel.

Hope I am correct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks