Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 00:51   #2086
Team-BHP Support

Micky, I'm quite on it, but Indian conditions are very different from locations where you have members on international forums from, though going through numerous links all day has given me an idea of what to and what not to expect.

manson.
Old 29th September 2009, 01:27   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Dude, bikes in Indian conditions are running even 10W30 oil very well! Like I said before, stick to the recommended grade! And if you are running fully synth 10W40, there is even less need to worry!! As they say - ride more, worry less.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:30   #2088
BHPian

I am in search of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for my car and I am in Bangalore. I phoned a shop in JC road and they informed price as 850 rs/litre. Is that the right price they are offering? If anybody personally knows any outlet in Bangalore sells Mobil 1 please send me details. I am afraid of the fake products in market as mobil 1 is very much popular now.
Old 30th September 2009, 21:50   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
I am in search of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for my car and I am in Bangalore. I phoned a shop in JC road and they informed price as 850 rs/litre. Is that the right price they are offering? If anybody personally knows any outlet in Bangalore sells Mobil 1 please send me details. I am afraid of the fake products in market as mobil 1 is very much popular now.
Please find details here.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:12   #2090
BHPian

Should API SL 5w-30 not be better than 15w-40 API -SG .
Its way higher rated and API -SG is rather archaic spec. IMHO .
Old 7th October 2009, 21:29   #2091
BHPian

[quote=sukiwa;1228906]Hyundai India seems to have tied up with Shell for Oils. Was at pune service center last weekend, came to know about option for Shell Oils (Petrol & Diesel). Was pleased to see Shell, but not so pleased to see mineral oils.

So, hyundai owners can opt for Shell mineral Oils instead of usual Servo.

Shell seems to have tied with mahindras as well .cAN ANYBODY CONFIRM THIS ?
sHELL have launched a new range of oils with synthetic technology all reasonably priced and good specs ( i feel directly going for castrol market ).
They have a special package for mahindra vehicles.
I used the valvoline turbo all weather for my turbo indigo last time Rs.800 / for a 4 liter pack with 1 lit. free ( anyway way better than the castrol GTD/ GTX/CRB TURBO ) , next i want to use the 15w-40 from shell.
shall post my experiEnce later.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:45   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Doesn't help in solving my 15W50 being more suitable than the 10W40 grade query just yet.
Would appeciate a quick input on this,prefrably with good reason.

manson.

Hi ,
15 w 50 IS MOST DEFINITELY more suitable THAN 15W-40.
SOMETHING LIKE 20 w -50 IS HEAVIER THAN 15W- 40 BUT 15W-50 HAS BETTER OPERATING RANGE THAN 15W- 40. So it ought to as suitable as 15w-40 if not better than it )

I.E. 5W-50 /5W-40 is way better AND ALSO THINNER ( read as 'lighter' ) than 15w-40 or 15 w -50 .
Old 9th October 2009, 15:31   #2093
BHPian

Situation:
Have a Carb Zen - 98 year model, clocked 83k. So far it has been serviced regularly - every 3 months and fed regular mineral oil (used by MASS).

Complication:
Next service interval is coming up where I will have to change engine oil. Considering that I may sell the car in the near future, what oil do I put in. Any sense in going for synthetic / semi - synthetic ? Or should I stick to mineral ?

I'd like if I can put in something 'better' for whatever time I own, but is not too costly. Pls suggest. Tx.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:58   #2094
BHPian

^^ Try Castrol Magnatec - should cost you around 1100-1200 bucks for 3.5 liter and it is far better than mineral oil. Try it.
However, if you sell the car in near future why spend more?
Old 9th October 2009, 16:28   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Situation:
Have a Carb Zen - 98 year model, clocked 83k. So far it has been serviced regularly - every 3 months and fed regular mineral oil (used by MASS).

Complication:
Next service interval is coming up where I will have to change engine oil. Considering that I may sell the car in the near future, what oil do I put in. Any sense in going for synthetic / semi - synthetic ? Or should I stick to mineral ?

I'd like if I can put in something 'better' for whatever time I own, but is not too costly. Pls suggest. Tx.
^^^ I'd suggest Total or Valvoline or Petronas. Amongst the best, and not too costly either.
Old 9th October 2009, 17:57   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Try Castrol Magnatec - should cost you around 1100-1200 bucks for 3.5 liter and it is far better than mineral oil.

I have a Palio 1.2 since the last four years. Initially (for 2.5 years) the A.S.S. used to fill in mineral oil (approx 600 - 800 for 3.5 litre). Later on I saw this thread, had the engine flushed and switched to Mobil (almost 2,000 Rs.). There was a difference how the car drove - so did not change oil for a year (do only 5000 kms a year). Last month went for service, and the T.A.S.S. recommended to use Magnatec. So changed to Magnatec (without flushing). Cost about 1,200 for 3.5 litres. Not much of a difference after Mobil - travelled 500 kms in one week. Think Magnatec is a good replacement.

Think 400 - 500 Rs. premium on Magnatec (saw MGA oil can of 3 litres costing Rs. 800) is quite OK.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:26   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Situation:

Complication:

Hi Jig,

if you are not a racing type of a guy who just revs his engine for the fun of it then mineral oil would do equally well as a synthetic. It is waste of money to buy synthetic. Please send the same money on safety such as tyres, brakes etc.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:45   #2098
BHPian

Hi Jig,
I had the same troubled frame of mind whether to go in for mineral or synthetic. I have finally settled on mineral oil and i change it every 5000 kms. Works out cheaper and the engine gets fresh oil every 5k. For normal usage i don't think u need syn oil though it has its benefis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Hi Jig,

if you are not a racing type of a guy who just revs his engine for the fun of it then mineral oil would do equally well as a synthetic. It is waste of money to buy synthetic. Please send the same money on safety such as tyres, brakes etc.
Old 11th October 2009, 11:24   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I'd suggest Total or Valvoline or Petronas. Amongst the best, and not too costly either.
I second that . valvoline is indeed very good . So was Chevron so is petronas but unfortunately Mr. Rahul Dravid doesnt endorse it.
Castrol spends a lot on Multimedia advt. and valvoline doesnt seem to have the budget But they pass on the savings to the customer, and mind you internationally too , these companies are as well known as castrol.
BP -vallenus Long life turbo ( API -CF4 ) is surely better than Castrol GTD which tata motors recommends for its diesel passenger cars, so is the All climate diesel form valvoline again with same specs.
There are oils from exxon like Essolube XT API 15W -40 conforming to API- CG4/SG specs which are cheaper than the CRB range from castrol again with similar specs. But nobody ever retails these.
The valvoline Durablend -API - SL /CF SAE -10W -40 is a synthetic blend which is a damn good oil but doesnt sell a micro faction of the castrol magnatec and is it because castrol is better ?
HP Micy Eurol -15w -40 which conforms or exceeds API- CG4 is also much cheaper than the Castrol CRB Turbo which meets API -CH4 which is essentially a very thick oil. Castrol now claims the CRB range is with superior sunthetic technology. Are they using synthetic base stock or blending it with detergents. I mean aint ' superior synthetic technology ' is rather frivolous advt. ?
I wish somebody with the chemical background studies and explains the various oils available so that we dont get fooled by the marketing gimmicks of the oil manufacturing companies.
I mean most of us are spending a bomb on dummies thinking its good for our vehicles and its too much of waste of good money with the high lube rates of today.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:29   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Today I noticed at the Shell bunk that the price of Shell Helix Ultra has come down. Now the price of 1 litre can is Rs 615.00 and so 3 litre cans should be even cheaper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks