Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 15:19   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Which make/brand do you suggest? The MASS guys told me they refill Castrol Magnatec. Should I go for this?
Go with the Castrol Magnatec 10W40 and don't forget the oil filter change.
Old 13th December 2009, 16:04   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Hello nitrous. My car [Zen Estilo Vxi] is 19 months old now. It has recently clocked 10,000 kms. The car is still running on factory fill. It is giving me poor fuel efficiency, 10 kmpl in the city and 13-14 on the highways. Does the oil have anything to do with it?

Which make/brand do you suggest? The MASS guys told me they refill Castrol Magnatec. Should I go for this?

A friend of mine is suggesting me mobil1.

Please help me.
You have done 10,000 km without changing the factory filled oil? Thats not done dude... it should have been changed at least once till now.

And MASS using Magnatec?? Are you sure? I wouldn't buy that unless I can confirm it. While you can use Magnatec, there are other equally good oils available for cheaper. Check out Valvoline, Petronas, Mobil, Shell, etc. Consider going thru the oil related threads.
Old 13th December 2009, 18:50   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Go with the Castrol Magnatec 10W40 and don't forget the oil filter change.
Done! Will be going soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You have done 10,000 km without changing the factory filled oil? Thats not done dude... it should have been changed at least once till now.

And MASS using Magnatec?? Are you sure? I wouldn't buy that unless I can confirm it.

It was used sparely before. It clocked 4k in an year and around 6k in another 8 months.

I called up my service adviser. He said that the oil was changed during the 3rd service. No oil filter change though. I re-inquired about the Magnatec thing, he said they just use Castrol. Nothing else specified.

After changing the oil, can I expect even a marginal rise in the fuel efficiency or there is no connection between the two?

Thanks for your advice guys. Appreciate it.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:15   #2284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
nitrous : Change at 10,000kms/1yr, whichever is earlier.
@Nitrous, isn't it 10000 km / 6 months - which ever is earlier ?

Quote:
Cartman : My car [Zen Estilo Vxi] is 19 months old now. It has recently clocked 10,000 kms. The car is still running on factory fill.
@Cartman, if you have got your servicing done as per schedule & at the M.A.S.S, then you CANNOT be running on factory fill. You can also check your service receipts for the oil changes.

Last edited by condor : 13th December 2009 at 19:23.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:29   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Done! Will be going soon.

It was used sparely before. It clocked 4k in an year and around 6k in another 8 months.

I called up my service adviser. He said that the oil was changed during the 3rd service. No oil filter change though. I re-inquired about the Magnatec thing, he said they just use Castrol. Nothing else specified.

After changing the oil, can I expect even a marginal rise in the fuel efficiency or there is no connection between the two?

Thanks for your advice guys. Appreciate it.
See, now they are talking! No way they will use Magnatec...

Oil changed without changing the filter?!?! Dude, that should probably make you rethink about what kind of service your car might be getting!

If you change a really old oil to something new, you will likely see a small increase in fuel efficiency. Furthermore, the higher API grades will save you a small amount more. Note the word "small"... don't expect to see anything significant. Even over 1 kmpl more would probably be asking for a bit much. I would look for a solution elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is 1 year for most cars.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:41   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Oil changed without changing the filter?!?! Dude, that should probably make you rethink about what kind of service your car might be getting!
Yes. That is what the service adviser told me. A really good service station. The trust factor is very high since the guy has been involved in servicing of our previous car and also knows about our driving style. I'm always around the car during service and check that everything is done perfectly. Just leave it alone when it has a wash. It feels shy.

So overall, I should ask the guys to drain out the oil, fill in new oil and change the filter. Right?

Even a 0.8km rise in mileage will be cherished. The car currently gives 10-11 kmpl in city and 13-14 on highways.
Old 13th December 2009, 20:51   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
His reply was to my query regarding Alto. It is 1 year/10k KM for most of the Maruti cars of the Euro III generation. Not sure about the K series engines though.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:04   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell Helix Ultra for Diesels

Ok, guys. you may have seen the new SHU advert on TV. Shell has refreshed its India homepage at last with their rebranded(HX3/5) plus a new range of oils. They are also introducing Helix Diesel Ultra fully synth 5w-40 API CF. Link - Shell Helix Diesel Ultra - INDIA. Also in the product mix is Shell Diesel HX6 15w-40 CH4

Regards,
Old 14th December 2009, 23:59   #2289
Senior - BHPian

^^^ On no!! Now Shell too has caught this "synthetic technology" disease from Castrol!
Old 15th December 2009, 22:43   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Shell's website claims their 20W 50 grade oil (Shell Helix HX3) is more suitable for carb engines while 15W 40 (Shell helix Hx5) is more suitable for
fuel injections engines.
Not that i am complaining about it's performance,but my carb 800 is running on HX5,i hope it won't cause any problems.My car's pretty much low mileage 31,266 kms till date.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th December 2009 at 22:44.
Old 15th December 2009, 23:14   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Fret not, sumeeth.
That colour coded guide is for dummies who don't understand grade or API standards.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:08   #2292
BHPian

The Older engines were carb engines and the newer ones are MPFI. The engines then were using 20W40 oil and so were designed with this in mind. Also older engines would have gone through lot of wear and the gap between the piston rings and the cylinder would have increaed and so a thicker oil is recommended for them.

However, with the mpfi and more performance requirements and advance in technology other oil grades started coming in to meet the requirement.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:11   #2293
Senior - BHPian

One cause for concern with Shell oils is that due to their enthusiasm in showing off their products at their bunks, they seem to stock them in open racks completely exposed to the elements. Sun, rain, everything! This is just not the way they are supposed to be stocked. No telling what effect it will have on the oil chemistries. They should be stocked only in dark, dry places. I even told them about this at the Mulshi Shell bunk. They seemed totally unaware of the damage they may be doing. They politely said they will do something about it... but things remain as they are. The weather beaten labels on some of the bottles is an indication of their hostile storage.

I would refrain from buying oil that is stored this way.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:18   #2294
Senior - BHPian

@Raccoon

This is news to me. The oil is displayed in a shelf inside the convenience store located on their premises, along with other merchandise like car care products/eatables/soft drinks/wine. The oils have their own shelf in a corner. There is absolutely no heat or dust. At least this is how I see it in the Shell bunk I frequent.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:22   #2295
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thats great. But unfortunately that is not the way it is in at least 2 shell bunks around Poona. The oils are stored outside the convenience store, exposed to the elements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks