Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 23:57   #2326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
As for topping up with remaining oil, I have enough left for the next oil change and then some! Is it OK to use it after six months, if I keep the can tightly closed? The DOM is Sep'09.
I am not sure how that filter mounting thread could have come off and reinstalled easily. Unless of course they've intentionally designed it that way in the Alto engine.

Not to worry you can use the oil for the top up and next oil change as well. Just keep the oil container in a cool dry place with the cap screwed on tight.

Rgds,
Old 26th December 2009, 15:25   #2327
Senior - BHPian

I went back to MSM and voiced my concern to the SA. He said this part (filter stand) can not remain loose without causing oil leakage from the seal of the oil filter. He said as the car has been driven for > 60 Km after the oil change and there is no trace of a leak from the filter yet, all is fine. He also said this part does come off some times while removing the filter and is routinely screwed back, so I let it go. I will check for leaks for a few more days before venturing out on the highways,just in case!
Old 30th December 2009, 02:53   #2328
BHPian

hi guys this is for all osnwers of NHC.
what grade synthetic engine oil do you use in your vehicle?
i am very very confused i tried 0w-40 but i guess it was too thin that my engine was behaving very erratic. should i try 5w-40 or 5w-30? honda A.S.S. is not giving me proper information on the same they say that the OEM engine oil 10w-30 is the best for NHC and that it should be changed every 3 months or 5000kms which is stupid
Old 30th December 2009, 09:41   #2329
BHPian

Where can I buy GENUINE castrol magnatec in Chennai ? Please post from your experience and not from directory listing. Thanks
Old 30th December 2009, 10:21   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Where can I buy GENUINE castrol magnatec in Chennai ? Please post from your experience and not from directory listing. Thanks
I have forwarded to you a PM received from a Dbhpian regarding this. I have not tried the shop yet though for want of time. Let me know how it goes.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:34   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have forwarded to you a PM received from a Dbhpian regarding this. I have not tried the shop yet though for want of time. Let me know how it goes.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if its the same shop I have been going to on GP ROAD ( Opp Jayapradha theatre ??) . I will check the store out and report back.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:40   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
hi guys this is for all osnwers of NHC.
what grade synthetic engine oil do you use in your vehicle?
i am very very confused i tried 0w-40 but i guess it was too thin that my engine was behaving very erratic. should i try 5w-40 or 5w-30? honda A.S.S. is not giving me proper information on the same they say that the OEM engine oil 10w-30 is the best for NHC and that it should be changed every 3 months or 5000kms which is stupid
AFAIK-its the 40 and 30 rating that decides oils thickness.
0W and 5W are ratings for temprature dependency of oil.
a grade 40 oil would be thicker than 30 grade oil.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:58   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
AFAIK-its the 40 and 30 rating that decides oils thickness.
0W and 5W are ratings for temprature dependency of oil.
a grade 40 oil would be thicker than 30 grade oil.

I agree completely but this time i dont want to take e chance as i have already wasted e lot of money in the 0w-40 oil so wanted to get other NHC owners observation on the same
Old 1st January 2010, 09:12   #2334

Synthetic oil for a new car

Hi Guys,

Firstly, a peaceful and prosperous 2010 to all our fellow TBHPians :-)

I've just bought a Vista diesel quadrajet aura and want to put in synthetic engine oil during the first servicing ( read @ 1500 Kms ).

I know Team BHP recommends that the car's done about 10000 Kms before using synthetic oil.

Given the fact that some cars such as the Fabia come with a factory filled synthetic oil and oil companies such as Mobil1 have posted in their Myth busters ( Mobil 1 Oil Academy - Myths About Synthetics ) suggesting that a new car would also benefit from the advantages of a synthetic oil, are TBHPians reconsidering their earlier recommendation?

Regards
Old 1st January 2010, 14:34   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Dude, you cannot not get any brand of oil in Bombay! If you would have called/mailed the company/regional office/sales guy/etc., they may even have delivered a can to your doorstep!! Don't know about Shell, but I'd expect Petronas to have done that (personal experience).
Thats quite true ! Mumbai sourcing oil of ur preference is not an issue.If u just call justdial or post an enquiry for oil retailers online , withn 5 min. u 'll get calls with quotes from distributors / retailers.
One need not go to the nearest spare parts shop for oil because he may keep stuff which fetches him better margins / better credits or simply because it moves better
Jeez! This is swell - didn't know oil gets door delivered - thought it was the friendly neighborhood kirana/medical stores who did door delivery!

Thanks guys. Petronas synth next!
Old 1st January 2010, 15:12   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurvaan View Post
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a Vista diesel quadrajet aura and want to put in synthetic engine oil during the first servicing ( read @ 1500 Kms ).

I know Team BHP recommends that the car's done about 10000 Kms before using synthetic oil.

Given the fact that some cars such as the Fabia come with a factory filled synthetic oil and oil companies such as Mobil1 have posted in their Myth busters ( Mobil 1 Oil Academy - Myths About Synthetics ) suggesting that a new car would also benefit from the advantages of a synthetic oil, are TBHPians reconsidering their earlier recommendation?

Regards
This has been discussed on tbhp before dude. Suggest you search.
Old 1st January 2010, 15:32   #2337
BHPian

Hi all!!
Chanced upon this web page. Found it was interesting to read about mineral oils and sysnthetics. Though some of the topics are related to the US market, some paragraphs are good knowledge base
Motor Oil Myths and Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
This has been discussed on tbhp before dude. Suggest you search.
Old 2nd January 2010, 16:29   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurvaan View Post
Hi Guys,

To my knowledge the Vista Quadrajet and the Fiat's using the same engine come with Synthetic oil filled from the factory. It has been about an year since I heard it in two instances: one from the Tata Fiat showroom in Powai when we went to try the Linea and the other when I spoke to the Sales manager at Petronas India who is supplying the oil to them.
Old 5th January 2010, 16:10   #2339
BHPian

Guys I need some advice,

During the 1st service of my SX4 (July 2009) I got Mobil-1 (0w-40) fully synthetic engine oil , Now the issue is that my 2nd service is due within this week,
so I wanted to know whether I should stick to the fully synthetic or switch to normal oil.

1. What would be advisable in the long run ?
(Taking into account various parameters such as performance, engine life and economy.)

2. Should I change to normal oil now and switch to fully synthetic during my 3rd service ?

P.S.: The car has 3900 kms till date and I plan to retain her for at least 7-8 years.
Old 5th January 2010, 16:29   #2340
Senior - BHPian

^^Move to 5W50 grade of Mobil1.
You should be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks