Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 16:46   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Have anybody tried an oil change at Shell Fuel outlets ? Any feedback ?

Thanks
AFAIK they do it diligently. But only an oil change - they will not touch the oil filter. It will make sense only if the annual running is low (~ 6000 KM/Year) - the annual oil + filter change can be done at the A.S.S and the half yearly oil (no filter) change at Shell. If one is comfortable with it, that is!
Old 26th May 2010, 20:27   #2492
BHPian

Thanks Gansan.. but then one need to switch between Shell and A.S.S supplied one, as most A.S.S want to buy oil also from them
Old 27th May 2010, 06:39   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Thanks Gansan.. but then one need to switch between Shell and A.S.S supplied one, as most A.S.S want to buy oil also from them
The MASS I visit uses the Shell Helix I take with me and I buy the filter from them. As I do the change during my mandatory coupon service, they don't charge separately. If we take the car only for oil change, we have to get it done under express service, and they will charge ~ RS 175.00 including filter.

My usage is only ~ 5000 KM per year, so I am wondering whether I can get the oil alone changed at Shell during the half yearly (2500 KM) mark, and oil + filter at the annual 5000 KM stage at MASS. I think the oil change at Shell is free as we buy the oil from them.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th May 2010 at 06:40.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:23   #2494
Senior - BHPian

The oils we buy from Shell fuel outlets will be priced at MRP. If you are a regular Shell oil user, buy it from their dealer (GP Road?) - it will be much cheaper.

(No, I haven't done that yet - thank my laziness And I use Mobile 1 mineral oil)
Old 28th May 2010, 01:40   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Can you explain as to why should one avoid 0w40?
Well, as I mentioned earlier, my knowledge is somewhat half baked, but IIRC 0w40 is better suited for colder climates. You cannot go wrong with 5w50 for our conditions.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:14   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Well, as I mentioned earlier, my knowledge is somewhat half baked, but IIRC 0w40 is better suited for colder climates. You cannot go wrong with 5w50 for our conditions.
Here is what I remember. Please refer to more accurate technical folks out here on forum.
In a nut shell, the first number before 'w' is temperature rating. the lesser the number, the colder climate it can be suitable for.
the number after 'w' is for viscocity(?) rating, more the number, better for engine.
So, you dont need 0 for our country, unless going to Ladhakh etc. 50 is better than 40, so 5w50 is better than 0w40

Having said that I also understand from experts that API ratings are more important.

Last edited by sriturl : 28th May 2010 at 11:17.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:44   #2497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Here is what I remember. Please refer to more accurate technical folks out here on forum.
In a nut shell, the first number before 'w' is temperature rating. the lesser the number, the colder climate it can be suitable for.
the number after 'w' is for viscocity(?) rating, more the number, better for engine.
So, you dont need 0 for our country, unless going to Ladhakh etc. 50 is better than 40, so 5w50 is better than 0w40

Having said that I also understand from experts that API ratings are more important.
The value before the 'W' denotes the winter rating/viscosity, lower the rating the easier it is to start the car in cold temperatures. The higher suffixed value for e.g. 40/50/60 denotes viscosity at operating temperature.

It would be wrong to generalise a particular viscosity is better than the other. It all depends on the car engine and ambient temperature. Modern car engines do not need thick oils unless they have very high mileage on them. Thicker oils create resistance to movement, slow start up lubrication and drop in fuel efficiency. Hence the move to thinner oils in recent times. Some low viscosity oils for e.g. 5w-30, 0w-30, 5w-20 are also classified as energy conserving.

You will need to stick to what the mfr recommends given a particular ambient temp range. Do not experiment with engine oil grades.

Cheers!
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:36   #2498
Senior - BHPian

i have been using Petronas Syntium 3000 fully synthetic oil in my alto.
But now i am not able to source it in Pune. One shop had it but the prices quoted are 2950rs. i have been buying the same for Rs.2100.
Also shell has touched a bomb Rs.4000.

i think i need to changeover to some cheaper option as my usage has drastically reduced and i am planning to buy a new car too.

Which oil is the best suited after continuous use of Synthetic. I am inclined towards Castrol Magnetic after reading positive reviews in this thread.

I am open for other options too. but will my performance get affected by downgrading the oil?
Old 4th June 2010, 01:10   #2499
Senior - BHPian

^^^While I can't say Castrol Magnatec is a bad product, there are equivalent/better/cheaper products from other makers like Petronas/Valvoline(the semi-synth one)/Elf/Quartz/etc. Whether or not you will perceive any change after downgrading from synth to mineral would depend on the earlier oil/the car/your sensitivity.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:55   #2500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Which oil is the best suited after continuous use of Synthetic. I am inclined towards Castrol Magnetic after reading positive reviews in this thread.

I am open for other options too. but will my performance get affected by downgrading the oil?
I am using the Shell Helix HX5 and am very happy with it. It is a mineral 15w/40 API SL oil. Costs Rs 915 (MRP) for 4 litres. Since my usage is only ~ 5000 KM per year, I use this oil and change it once in 6 months, even though it is good enough for 10,000 KM/ one year. Try it, it is more than enough.
Old 5th June 2010, 21:07   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Finally got TOTAL QUARTZ 7000 10W40 semi synthetic for my alto.
MRP Rs.1225 after discount Rs.1180 for a 4l can, i dont think its a good deal though.
The dealer recommended it over castrol magnetic which retails for almost same price.
He even recommended Petronas over Castrol.

thanks Racoon for leading me to the ARU shop. He stocks almost all brands.
Old 6th June 2010, 02:52   #2502
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yup, he stocks a lot of brands... not all though.

Do let us know what you think about Quartz. Why don't you think its a good deal though? Are you sure Castrol Magnatec retails for about same price for the same quantity (4 lt can)??
Old 6th June 2010, 12:24   #2503
BHPian

Quote:

There are lots of myths about changing engine oil types and brands. One school of thought says that you should never change the brand or grade of oil. Frankly, it sounds like a steaming pile of bovine droppings to me. It would help if you posted details on your experience after shifting from synthetic to mineral. I feel that there would be no ill effects.
Old 6th June 2010, 13:45   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Yup, he stocks a lot of brands... not all though.

Do let us know what you think about Quartz. Why don't you think its a good deal though? Are you sure Castrol Magnatec retails for about same price for the same quantity (4 lt can)??
good deal in the sense, when the MRP for MOBIL1 is above 4000 i get it for 3400. for petronas with MRP 2750 i used to get it for rs.2100.
Comparing with above discounts i dont think Rs.85 off on mrp is great deal.

Yes castrol Magnatec retails for 285- 295 rs per litre which is exactly same as Quartz, i think in other places castrol retails for lesser.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 6th June 2010 at 13:46.
Old 6th June 2010, 19:52   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got TOTAL QUARTZ 7000 10W40 semi synthetic for my alto.
MRP Rs.1225 after discount Rs.1180 for a 4l can, i dont think its a good deal though.
The dealer recommended it over castrol magnetic which retails for almost same price.
He even recommended Petronas over Castrol.

thanks Racoon for leading me to the ARU shop. He stocks almost all brands.
Hey amit,

Do post your initial observations on this oil. The last time I took my car for an oil change, I had been itching to use this oil considering my prior good experiences with Total lubricants, however I finally used Castrol on my mechanic's suggestion.

I would soon be going in for another oil change & this time it won't be Castrol making its way into my car's engine, for sure. I somehow feel that Castrol is overrated (no offence towards anybody else's opinion/sentiments).

@all: I have observed that different oils (different brands) of the same type (same grade & type e.g mineral) might have different viscosities. I mean, I peculiarly remember that Elf Sporti 20W50 is always thicker (as it appears by its rate of flow) compared to another oil of the same grade say Veedol Turbostar 20W50. Can anybody please shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 6th June 2010 at 19:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks