Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 01:41   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Aeons ago, I started this discussion. You could perhaps discuss it in detail over there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ngine-oil.html
Old 8th August 2010, 19:19   #2552
BHPian

Shell Oil Retailers In Mumbai

hi

Does any one know of a shell retailer for engine oils specially in South Mumbai.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:31   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi I was interested in buying the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic motor oil as an replacement for my ANHC. The car has completed about 15 k so wanted to switch to synthetic oil. I visited some shops on Opera House , Mumbai but found that the manufacturing date on the 4 litre can varied from August 2008 to February 2009. Does the manufacturing date of the oil have any bearing on the quality of the oil? Does the oil have a standard shelf life or an expiry date?
i would say go for 0W-40 mobil 1 from opera house. go to shetty motors its very near to kennedy bridge. genuine and fresh stuff.
i have been using the same in my NHC and it is mind blowing.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:44   #2554
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Again, it is not a _must_ to do engine flush to change oils from mineral to synthetic. Thousands of folks do it all over the world, and Chris Longhurst of Car Bible fame, sent the the following clarification to this explicit question a couple of years back in an email
Chris is obviously an oil guru. However, we have to understand that driving conditions in India are very different. For one, our average speeds are terribly low (daily drive to work), India has an extremely dusty climate and we're primarily driving in 1st & 2nd gears within the city. MAXIMUM wear & tear. Give you an example : My Honda Accord used to give me a higher kpl figure in the States, than the humble Indigo does in Mumbai. The Accord spent a lot of its time in 4th & 5th gears...cruising at a constant speed on the freeway. Most miles, lowest wear & tear conditions. There's a reason why cars in the States last 3,00,000 miles (or 480K kms), while ours are worn out by 150 - 200K kms.

I'd say, go with a flush when moving from mineral -> synthetic on a well worn engine (e.g. 60,000 kms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
go to shetty motors
to Shetty Motors. Look up their contact info in The Team-BHP Directory
Old 9th August 2010, 21:08   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Honda Accord used to give me a higher kpl figure in the States, than the humble Indigo does in Mumbai. The Accord spent a lot of its time in 4th & 5th gears...cruising at a constant speed on the freeway. Most miles, lowest wear & tear conditions. There's a reason why cars in the States last 3,00,000 miles (or 480K kms), while ours are worn out by 150 - 200K kms.
This makes me think that there should be one more meter which counts the number of times crank shaft has rotated which will give exact figure of how much engine is used. Also let manufactures tell us after how many counts its time to change the engine oil.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:54   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
i would say go for 0W-40 mobil 1 from opera house. go to shetty motors its very near to kennedy bridge. genuine and fresh stuff.
i have been using the same in my NHC and it is mind blowing.
Thanks very much for your suggestion. picked 4 liters of Mobil 1 0W/40 for Rs 3 k and filter for Rs 250/-
Old 12th August 2010, 21:27   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chris is obviously an oil guru. However, we have to understand that driving conditions in India are very different. For one, our average speeds are terribly low (daily drive to work), India has an extremely dusty climate and we're primarily driving in 1st & 2nd gears within the city. MAXIMUM wear & tear. Give you an example : My Honda Accord used to give me a higher kpl figure in the States, than the humble Indigo does in Mumbai. The Accord spent a lot of its time in 4th & 5th gears...cruising at a constant speed on the freeway. Most miles, lowest wear & tear conditions. There's a reason why cars in the States last 3,00,000 miles (or 480K kms), while ours are worn out by 150 - 200K kms.

I'd say, go with a flush when moving from mineral -> synthetic on a well worn engine (e.g. 60,000 kms).
Well, I agree doing a flush is better if one can. And also that conditions in India are quite different - even 10 year old cars felt pretty solid in the US, whereas they'll feel creaky out here with our roads, traffic etc.
For eg., I could have done engine flush since most engine oil changes, Bardahl additive was added in by Lancer A.S.S., so it wouldnt really be a first flush. However, if its never done and an old engine, I would skip it - I came to this conclusion after a lot of search and thinking (matter of severity of possible downsides one way or other). Change synthetic oil faster for 2nd time, and take it from there.
Old 13th August 2010, 09:57   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Now what ?

Hi guys,
My 97 800 is running on shell helix hx5 15w 40.The car feels amazingly silent with same and i
was looking forward for a oil change the coming month.Now shell oils are not available in mumbai
and i had sourced the same from Rabale where there was a shell station located.

The problem is now that the shell station is closed and am once again stuck without shell 15w 40.
So now what are my options , go for shell 20w 50 or go for castrol 20w 50.I am really going to miss
the silent engine which used to be with the 15 w40.

Will changing from 15w 40 to 20w 50 on my old car give any problems.I am so stuck up now.

(Also please refer to my problem http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1933843-post2508.html)

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 13th August 2010 at 10:16.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:00   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys,
My 97 800 is running on shell helix hx5 15w 40.The car feels amazingly silent with same and i
was looking forward for a oil change the coming month.Now shell oils are not available in mumbai

The problem is now that the shell station is closed and am once again stuck without shell 15w 40.
So now what are my options , go for shell 20w 50 or go for castrol 20w 50.I am really going to miss

Will changing from 15w 40 to 20w 50 on my old car give any problems.I am so stuck up now.

(Also please refer to my problem http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1933843-post2508.html)

thanks

I have decided to go for Mobil super xhp 15w 40, i had called up a dealer and when i told him i wanted it for a 800 he was suprised and said 15w 40 is only for diesel engines and for the 800 i can use 20w 50 but Mobil's web site (Mobil Super XHP 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50) say's it's for gasoline as well as diesel.some clarification on the same could help.

thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 22:25   #2560
BHPian

You will be fine using 15w 40.
Maruti recommend 20w 40 for their cars. Castrol make a special MGO oil '20w40' only for maruti.
Old 14th August 2010, 03:07   #2561
Senior - BHPian

This weekend go for a drive on the Xpressway all the way to Thathode/Tatwade. You have a Shell outlet there and they have as much oil as you would want. I picked up a 4L pack of 0W40 for my Aveo day before yesterday. Here is the telephone number of the Shell outlet (Amita Enterprises) so you can check for the availability (020) 65100716. They have another oulet at Hinjewadi and between the two almost all liquids marketed by Shell are available. Switching from 15W40 to 20W40 would not be harmful in any which way.

OR you could simply switch to Mobil. I did, filled Mobil1 0W40 in my Swift again on the 11th at MyCar that is down the road from the Tatwade outlet close to the Hinjewadi flyover. Maruti has approved the same and in some service centers you now get Mobil 1 packs with the MS logo on them. These should be available in Bombay too. What a difference from the Castrol Magnatec that I was using earlier. For the first time I could hear the radiator fan running as also the air con pulley being driven. Earlier all I could hear was the engine. SO now I need better sound damping on the firewall and on the underside of the bonnet.

As regards your earlier query I did post the following http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1937320-post2515.html

Just top up and you are good to go.

Quote:
Hi guys,

thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 07:36   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This weekend go for a drive on the Xpressway all the way to Thathode/Tatwade. You have a Shell outlet there and they have as much oil as you would want. I
Hello,
I am not familiar with this place,i am located at mumbai can you guide on the same.

thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 11:39   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Even if the Shell bunks are closed down, the oil should be available with prominent lube shops, surely?
Old 14th August 2010, 11:54   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
I am not familiar with this place,i am located at mumbai can you guide on the same.

thanks
Well you take the Express way all the way to the end where a sweeping right hand ramp will merge it into the Bombay to Bangalore branch of the NH4 (Bangalore branch of old Bombay-Pune highway). You do not have to look out for any turning references or intersections, it is as if the expressway is continuing on/in to the NH4.

Proceed straight approx 3.0~4.0 kilometers and you will see the Shell Outlet on your right hand side.

If you plan to drive down do remember to check with them for your specific requirement, their telephone number is in my last post.

Also do not go for the 0W40, as in your case it may lead to more degunking, stick with the oil / equivalent grade that you have been using.

EDIT @Gansan,

Surprisingly I was not able to locate it here in Navi Mumbai as well as New Delhi. I had to go to 'MY Car" in Pune any way and there are plenty of Shell outlets there so maybe I did not look hard enough here. Having said that the most prominent auto part dealer in Navi Mumbai 'Shetty Motors' also did not have Shell liquids. Mobil, Petronas even Total were there in one form or the other but no Shell.

Last edited by khoj : 14th August 2010 at 12:08.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:57   #2565
BHPian

Shell Distributor for Mumbai

Quote:
Hi guys,

thanks
Hi

Fairgrowth Sales Pvt Ltd is the mumbai distributor for shell oils. The name of the contact person is Mr Jha who is available on 022-24019511 & +919372069316. Call him to find out your nearest retailer.

I was also looking to buy the shell ultra for my anhc but decided to go in for the mobil 0-40 instead because of the easier availability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks