Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 14:51   #2641
BANNED

In terms of damage by old oil cars which are not driven much may be worse off. If the oil is not given a chance to warm up properly then all the corrosive stuff remains there and does not get a chance to get heated and removed from the oil.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:38   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
When I went to the Shell bunk at Chromepet to buy a three litre can of Shell Helix Super 15W40 for my Alto, I was informed it comes only in 4 litre cans and only the Helix / Helix Ultra were available in 1 litre and 3 litre cans. So I bought the 4 litre can, and was checking with you guys during the VB meet if I could use the left over oil (1 litre) for my Splendor!
Hello,
you had mentioned you had purchased a 4 litre can of shell. I wanted to know how the 3 litres was poured in the car during the oil change.Did the mechanic had a way to measure the quantity or he just put it in by guestimating the quantity.

Also how did you use up the 1 litre oil leftover.Next time you would go o buy the same oil and you don't get a 3 litre can for your Alto you will be left with 2 litres of oil leftover , one from the old can and 2 from the new can.So how did you manage the same.

I had wrongly put in 10w 30 in my 800 and am planning to switch to mobil 20w 50 which is the recommended grade for the 800.(shell 15w 40 is no longer available and am just too tired to hunt it down).Problem is mobil can is avaible only in 4 litres , hence the questions

thanks
Old 20th September 2010, 23:09   #2643
Senior - BHPian

@sumeethaldankar
If you are firm on changing the oil prematurely you could get Shell oils from their pump at Ghansoli/Airoli which is functional once again.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:26   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@sumeethaldankar
If you are firm on changing the oil prematurely you could get Shell oils from their pump at Ghansoli/Airoli which is functional once again.
I was under the impression the Airoli outlet had closed, are you saying it has reopened again ?
Old 21st September 2010, 01:53   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I was under the impression the Airoli outlet had closed, are you saying it has reopened again ?
Yes that is exactly what I am saying as a member reported filling there a couple of days ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2075725-post863.html
Old 21st September 2010, 09:40   #2646
Senior - BHPian

@sumeethaldankar

I simply bought a tupperware kind of oil container (with markings in ml), used it to transfer exactly one litre to another container and took the remaining 3 litres to the MASS for the oil change. I will buy two 1 litre cans for the next change and use the balance 1 litre along with them. If I can't get 1 litre cans, I will just buy a 4 litre can again but use the oil on FIFO basis. Since I do the oil change every six months, the storage should not be an issue.

I suggest that you buy three 1 litre cans if they are available. Else, buy a 3 litre can of Shell MGO and use it now. Thereafter you can buy the 4 litre HX5 oil and use the MGO can to measure out 3 litres!

EDIT: The price difference between a 4 litre can and three 1 litre cans will be considerable.The left over oil should not be used for bikes that have a common oil for engine as well as clutch.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st September 2010 at 09:52.
Old 14th October 2010, 21:29   #2647
BHPian

I have always used Mobil-1 oil (grade matched to OEM) with Mobil-1 oil filter on all my cars (in US). Even after 113,000 miles on my Civic, the engine was in perfect shape.

I do believe you need to use premium filter if you are going for extended oil change interval. Even the OEM filters have paper element. They cannot keep up with extended interval.
Old 15th October 2010, 22:08   #2648
BANNED

Don't know if this is the right thread but wanted info- Cruze booklet says to use 5W-40 to use for engine oil. My dad has purchased 5W-50 Mobil 1 , is it okay or shall I tell him to change it.

Last edited by Amartya : 24th October 2011 at 00:42.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:27   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Mobil 20W 50

Finally purchased Mobil 20W 50 today and will be changing the oil tomorrow.Decided that manafacturer recommendation for the oil grade is best for the car (carb 800) and won't have to worry about whether i am using the right oil or not.Thankfully got a 3 litre can so there won't be any leftovers.

Pics of the oil can.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-photo0176.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-photo0177.jpg  

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th October 2010 at 23:28.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:17   #2650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep Sahni View Post
Don't know if this is the right thread but wanted info - Cruze booklet says to use 5W-40 to use for engine oil. my dad has purchased 5W-50 Mobil 1 , is it okay or shall I tell him to change it.
Yes change it. Tell your dad to get Shell Helix Ultra synthetic instead. It meets the 5w-40 mfr API SM/CF grade.

But if your car, assuming it is a diesel Cruze, needs better than API CF, (the C stands for compression ignition)..please go in for OEM oil to be on the safe side. No synthetic that I know of goes better than CF. Shell Helix is used as OEM oil on all Skodas. I use it in my Altis (in warranty) simply because Toyota's OEM synth is also 5w-40. Helix Ultra is very good oil. I am waiting for Mobil to introduce 5w-40 someday.

Dont experiment with oil grades especially when the car is in warranty.

Last edited by Amartya : 24th October 2011 at 00:43. Reason: Edited the post you'd quoted. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:20   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Finally purchased Mobil 20W 50 today and will be changing the oil tomorrow.Decided that manafacturer recommendation for the oil grade is best for the car (carb 800) and won't have to worry about whether i am using the right oil or not.Thankfully got a 3 litre can so there won't be any leftovers.

Pics of the oil can.
Hello Sumeet,

Good oil for your car. Cant go wrong with manufacturer specs. It says MRP. 675 on the can. How much did you get it for?
Old 16th October 2010, 14:15   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hello Sumeet,

Good oil for your car. Cant go wrong with manufacturer specs. It says MRP. 675 on the can. How much did you get it for?
I paid in total 720 oil + oil filter , i guess i was charged 660 for oil as the filter cost 60 bucks.I aso got the oil changed today.So no more worrying about the wrong kind of oil aleast.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th October 2010 at 14:17.
Old 18th October 2010, 11:05   #2653
BANNED

I just saw advts with IOC (Mama Mia!) coming out with API-SM and API-CI oils. Any more info on these fluids?
Old 18th October 2010, 12:17   #2654
BHPian

@sgiitk,

Have you ever used Synthetic oil in your Santro AT ?
If yes, which one and do you recommend doing so ?

I have a service coming up, so was wondering if I should stick to Castrol Magnatec or go full synthetic.

Edit : Posting the question here and not via PM so that others may also benefit from it.

Last edited by jigbarai : 18th October 2010 at 12:19.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:13   #2655
BANNED

I have never used synthetic in my Santro. Reason is very simple - I barely do 7000-8000km per annum on it. My standard oil is Castrol Magnatec.

I have used synth in my Esteem about a decade ago - it was an oil from Esso. Also, right now my Civic AT had come with Synth as standard (the oil is either 0Wx or 5Wx). End of November I have the third service with an oil change due. I am going synthetic with Mobil 1 0W40. Advantage annual oil change, as against semi-annual with a semi-synth / mineral. Again this car will be doing no more than 8-10k per annum. I agree that cost wise a semi-synth twice a year is cheaper.

I may add that while the Honda is a high revving engine, and may benefit from a synth the Santro engine is a typical mid-to-low spec engine, so mineral or semi-synth is good enough.

Most Viewed