Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 21:01   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The can says Manufactured in England, Imported by Castrol India, Kolkata.

The Month of Manufacturing is March 2010. Anything to watch out for ?
Yes, I will be watching out to buy the same Thank you for the reply.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:04   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But if your car, assuming it is a diesel Cruze, needs better than API CF, (the C stands for compression ignition)..
No, C stands for Commercial category. Even US authorities (API) seem to think, Diesel = Commercial vehicle fuel
Old 14th November 2010, 08:58   #2673
BANNED

C has been used for Diesel Oils for ages. So let us dispense with trying to interpret it. Just say S* is Petrol and C* diesel.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:08   #2674

Frequency for oil change

Hi,

Today i have given my Swift VDi for service at 50K Km. The service adviser told me that there is no need to change engine oil as you have used Syn. oil at 40 K.
As they are authorized service center. Please suggest me what to do. Should i change oil or not.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:41   #2675
BANNED

@sarbpreet: The oil change interval is dictated by both distance and time. You did not mention the time since the last oil change.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:54   #2676
BHPian

Hi,
I have Getz Prime 1.1 (2008). It does short distances (starts and stops) in city conditions. So far it has done 10K only. An engine oil change is due (actually slightly over due).

I was considering switching to fully synthetic. I have several questions:

1. I called up a Castrol shop, and the salesman there told me that Hyundai does not recommend it. I called up a few of the Hyundai dealer service centers (Bengal Hyundai and Mukesh Hyundai), and those people acted as if they have never heard of a synthetic oil. Can this be true that synthetic oil is not a good choice for getz 1.1? Hard for me to believe though!

2. Assuming that synthetic oil is okay for this car, which brand one should go for? One service center (Alok Automobiles, there is a thread for this under the team-bhp directory) told me they keep only Petronas synthetic oil. How's that?

3. I have read references (in this thread) made by team-bhpians of Kolkata that some of them use synthetic oil. But when I call shops up, they do not have it. The Castrol Shop I mentioned above is very very far (near Amta in Howrah and I live in the Salt Lake area) away, and I am also not sure they actually keep the Castrol Edge. I have written PMs/e-mails through team-bhp to 3 team-bhp members (all of whom reportedly use synthetic oil), and so far there is no response. Can somebody tell me where in Kolkata I can get Mobil 1, Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Edge or any other good brand? One store in Shyambazar quoted the price of Mobil 1 0W40 at Rs 6000 for 4 lt (unbelievably exorbitant I guess).

4. Which grade is recommended?

5. Would the usual oil filter do or should I use any special filter for this?

6. I'd suppose, considering low kms on my car, it perhaps wouldn't need any engine flush. Is that correct?

7. The Castrol shop recommended the Magnatec (only semi-synthetic) for my Getz. Should I go for it? (Member planet-rocker uses it on his Getz I think), although I am a bit confused about GTX Magnatec and just plain Magnatec. There is also discussion on that in this thread. On Castrol website, there is no mention of GTX Magnatec on the Castrol India website (on the phone, the Castrol shop actually spoke of the Castrol 'GTX Magnatec'). Can anybody clarify?

Sorry folks. I guess I have asked too many questions. I have tried searching, but so far not many fruitful answers to my questions.

Regards.
Old 17th November 2010, 00:32   #2677
Senior - BHPian

@asitkde

As far as I know Castrol GTX and Castrol Magnatec are two completely different products and there is no 'GTX Magnatec'. Between the two Magnatec is far superior to GTX. I have not been able to find Castrol Edge in Dilli as yet so availability in Calcutta could also be difficult.

Petronas is a good brand made in Malaysia by Petronas Oil. They also sponsor one of the F1 teams and that team's engines use Petronas engine oil. They are quite aggressive and their dealers can be easily found in Delhi as well as New Bombay, Thane and Pune.

If you are unable to find Shell, Mobil etc you could try to find some other brands such as OWS, Total and Motul. The best thing to do would be to simply have Petronas poured in at Alok automobiles as they are an authorized service provider for Hyundai and that should add to peace of mind.
Old 17th November 2010, 04:38   #2678
BHPian

@asitkde

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Hi,

Can this be true that synthetic oil is not a good choice for getz 1.1? Hard for me to believe though!
Not true. It is not car specific. You can use synthetic oil for your getz 1.1

Quote:

2. Assuming that synthetic oil is okay for this car, which brand one should go for? One service center (Alok Automobiles, there is a thread for this under the team-bhp directory) told me they keep only Petronas synthetic oil. How's that?
Petronas is good. You can also look at Mobil Synt S, Castrol EDGE, Total Quartz 7000, Castrol Magnatec, Shell Helix Ultra

Quote:

Can somebody tell me where in Kolkata I can get Mobil 1, Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Edge or any other good brand? One store in Shyambazar quoted the price of Mobil 1 0W40 at Rs 6000 for 4 lt (unbelievably exorbitant I guess).
6000 for Mobil1 is overpriced. Check Castrol India website for its dealers.
Shell Helix Ultra should be available at all Shell Petrol Outlets.

Quote:
4. Which grade is recommended?
Semi Synths come at 10W40, Synt S, EDGE and Shell Ultra come at 5W40 and Mobil 1 comes at 0W40 or 5W50.

The recommended grade for Getz is 15W40, so you can use anyone of the above.

Quote:

5. Would the usual oil filter do or should I use any special filter for this?
You can use the regular filter. Make sure you change it during the oil change.

Quote:
6. I'd suppose, considering low kms on my car, it perhaps wouldn't need any engine flush. Is that correct?
Flush IS REQUIRED. Check the first few pages of this thread for the reason.

Quote:

7. The Castrol shop recommended the Magnatec (only semi-synthetic) for my Getz. Should I go for it? (Member planet-rocker uses it on his Getz I think), although I am a bit confused about GTX Magnatec and just plain Magnatec. There is also discussion on that in this thread. On Castrol website, there is no mention of GTX Magnatec on the Castrol India website (on the phone, the Castrol shop actually spoke of the Castrol 'GTX Magnatec'). Can anybody clarify?

Regards.
Member khoj has answered this.

Last edited by para_7k : 17th November 2010 at 04:39.
Old 17th November 2010, 07:13   #2679
BHPian

Guys i own a chevy optra magnum and just got it serviced. I was using the normal engine oil but this time they put total quartz 9000 saying that it has been recommended by chevy and only this is supposed to be used in Optra, Cruze and Captiva. I was charged 670 bucks a litre. Do you think this is justified or a case of the dealer ripping me off.
The performance of the car seems better and dont know i might be feeling coz i have paid a price above what i generally used tp pay(lol).
Old 17th November 2010, 09:21   #2680
BANNED

I have used Magnatec in both my Accent (2002-2010) and Santro (2005-) with no hassles. As for the oil change I have always followewd 10000km or 12 months, whichever is earlier. Also, for a run of the mill engine like Hyundai I am quite ahppy with a semi-synth (or even a mineral) provided it is API-SM!
Old 17th November 2010, 15:39   #2681
BHPian

Thanks khoj, para_7k and sgiitk for answering my questions.

@para_7k,
I did read the initial post by GTO carefully and he recommended engine flush. However, then I read Mobil 1 FAQ on their website where they say that the flush is not needed. Some other people also commented in this thread that perhaps the flush is not necessary. GTO then came back in the middle of the thread somewhere to comment that recommendations based on driving conditions in the US may not be completely valid in the dusty and start and stop conditions in India, and hence cars that have run quite a lot under these conditions in India must have developed sludge inside their engines and hence should need a flush before putting synthetic oil. My car has run only 10K kms (and has undergone at least 1 oil change, if not 2, I have to check) and is generally run in a relatively cleaner suburb of Kolkata albeit in frequent start/stop conditions, and therefore I was sort of concluding that the flush may not be necessary for my car. Okay, I will give a more serious consideration of the flush recommendation. If it's done, it needs to be done properly.

I just hope that some of the Kolkata members would now tell me about places where I can source a few of these oils so that I have some options besides the Petronas. Alok Automobiles have told me that they have no problem with me giving them the oil of my choice provided it meets the standards.

Regards.

Last edited by asitkde : 17th November 2010 at 15:43.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:35   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
However, then I read Mobil 1 FAQ on their website where they say that the flush is not needed.
^^+1, Shell, Total and Motul sites also say the same thing. Actually what they say is that one can mix mineral oil(residual left in the engine) with synthetic oil(new pour).

Enough has been discussed regarding the flusing issue, so I will not stretch it any further here. All that I will say is that I have never flushed any of my car's engines as and when I changed their OEM poured/recommended oil to my choice whether at 500 kms or at 30,000 kilometers. I have had no issues of any kind. The only car in my garage whose engine was flushed is the Zen when it crossed 100000 kms. No issues there too current mileage is 186xxx kms.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:11   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The only car in my garage whose engine was flushed is the Zen when it crossed 100000 kms. No issues there too current mileage is 186xxx kms.
Aha.... the topic that I wanted to have some clarity from ages.

Is it fine that we flush the high mileage engines (90K plus) considering that till date the engine has run only on mineral oil or on semi synthetic ones like Castrol magnatec. I have seen quite a few members suggesting otherwise to this.

Also is it advisable to start using synthetic oil in such high mileage engines going forward?
Old 18th November 2010, 13:35   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Hi pankaj,

Well the Zen's engine was flushed as MSM's 'Works Manager' felt that it would be good to do so for the engine's health and well the car is still running strong. Though the oil poured was what ever was standard at MSM then and even now.

Anyhow now I am veering towards the idea of switching to Shell Helix HX5 (have to check whether it is a fully synthetic oil or not) once the next mile stone (read 200000 kms) is crossed and I think I will flush the engine and then add the HX5 just to see what happens OR should I say for Universal Benefit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf shell_helix_grade_selection_guide.pdf (328.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 18th November 2010, 14:13   #2685
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj
I am a regular user of Shell Helix HX-5. It is a mineral oil, 15W40, API-SL. Costs Rs 915.00 MRP for 4 litres. I change it once every six months though my car does < 500 KM per month. I feel this half yearly oil change almost equals the benefit of synth for my Alto ( which is supposed to run on MGO 20W40 / API SF) and is cheaper as well. It will be a different matter if a car comes with synth oil from the factory though.

My nephew requested me to visit the MASS with him for the 10K KM service of his Ritz petrol. We changed the oil to fully synth - MGO (Mobil) 5W40, API SM. Cost was ~ Rs 4000.00. The service advisor said there was no need for engine flush, but insisted the oil must be changed at 10K KM / one year which ever was earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks