Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2010, 00:47   #2701
Senior - BHPian

20W50 is about the worst grade sold in the market. Avoid it like the plague.
Old 19th November 2010, 09:12   #2702
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
The mileage is just short of 300 Kms from 100,000 and the car is ikon 1.6. so now can i change the oil to synthetic / semi-synthetic one and should i use engine oil flush?
I will avoid a 0Wxx or 5Wxx. But 10Wxx should be Ok. With a 0/5W you may have a bit of an oil consumption problem. When cold there may be some wear and tear which will allow the thin oil to go into the cylinders.

So I will stick to something like a 10W40 semi-synth with an API-SM rating. As for being 300 short of 100k there can easily be a 10-15% variation on the wear and tear between cars for various reasons.
Old 19th November 2010, 10:41   #2703
BHPian

Hi experts,
I am a bit confused about the grades and the Hyundai recommendations. Once again, a reminder: I have the Getz Prime 1.1 (petrol, obviously).

The car book does not have a specific recommendation. Rather it has several grades listed and the temperature ranges they cover (pretty usual I think), as follows:

(all temp in degree C; and > and < mean greater and less than, respectively)
5W-20 : < -25 to -10
5W-30: < -25 to +10
5W-40: < -25 to +20
10W-40: -25 to > +40
10W-30: -25 to +40
15W-40: -15 to > +40
15W-50: -15 to > +40
20W-40: -10 to > +40
20W-50: -10 to > +40

My questions:
1. Which temperature is referred to above? Is it the ambient temp or the oil/engine temp?
2. From the data above (and extrapolations made thereof), can one conclude that the grades 0W-40 and 5W-40 are unsuitable for this particular car? (5W-40 goes only to +20 C, which is way inadequate for Indian conditions, regardless of driving styles).
3. If the answer to Q2 above is 'yes', the usual grades for purely synthetic oil are then excluded. There is a Mobil 1 5W-50 which may or may not be suitable (any comments please on the 5W-50)?

It appears to me that somehow a bit thicker oil is preferred by Hyundai for this car. As far as I understand, and I want to emphasize, the above chart is NOT universal, and applies only to Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 (the version I have, bought in the first week of 2008, so produced in the last batch of 2007).

Anyway, is it correct to conclude from above that the grade 10W-40 appears the best fit for my car. The Magnatec has this grade. Another possibility is Mobil 1 5W-50. I was almost decided on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (available at a decent price Rs 650-680/liter in Kolkata), but a look at the book has made me think otherwise. I have to find out at Alok Automobiles about the grades of Petronas and what they recommend because they are HASS.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Regards
Old 19th November 2010, 10:54   #2704
BANNED

@asitkde: They are all ambient temperature. For our hot climate you need an oil topping out at SAE40 or higher. So 10W40 is fine! 0/5W40 will also do. the lower figure is only for cold oil, which heats up rapidly to the higher figure. With a high ambient it may not even be at the quoted figure.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:39   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Can castrol magnatec 10W40 be used in place of 20W50?
Yes, you can. Please consult your vehicle's owner manual for the oil recommendation. Usually it will be a table with oil spec for temperature range. If it has 20W-40 / 20W-50 as the recommended spec for your location's temp range, then you can safely use the Magnatec 10W-40 instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
20W50 is about the worst grade sold in the market. Avoid it like the plague.
Can you please elaborate? I use Mak 20W-50 for my Yezdi (motorcycle).

Thanks.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:53   #2706
BHPian

petronas syntium 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post

Anyway, is it correct to conclude from above that the grade 10W-40 appears the best fit for my car. The Magnatec has this grade. Another possibility is Mobil 1 5W-50. I was almost decided on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (available at a decent price Rs 650-680/liter in Kolkata), but a look at the book has made me think otherwise. I have to find out at Alok Automobiles about the grades of Petronas and what they recommend because they are HASS.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Regards
You could go for petronas syntium 800 15W50(Exceeds SM) @ about Rs 250/litre(if you call Rs 650-680 a decent price this is a steal!). This oil is indeed very good or alternatively castrol magnatec 10W40 could be used. Remember to change it once a year or 7,500-10k kms whichever earlier.

There isn't any need to pay through your nose for synthetic stuff unless you are using Getz for racing (there again it is a 1.1 litre)
Old 19th November 2010, 14:45   #2707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
.. Getz for racing...
Hehe! The only car I ever owned that could be used for racing after appropriate modding was Celica GT a long time ago (I did not get it modded though) . Nope, no Getz for racing, although its low rpm peppiness is well appreciated for city driving. Anyway, thanks rock75 for the suggestions on synthetic blends rather than purely synthetic. I have them in mind. And, compared to the prices I am getting on Mobil 1 in Kolkata, believe me Rs 650/l for Shell Helix Ultra is very decent.

@sgiitk, thanks for instilling some confidence in favor of the 0/5W-40 grades. I was confused though by the car-book that showed the 5W-40 to be good only upto 20 degrees C.

In a day or two, I'll make my move one way or the other, and let you people know my impressions.

Regards.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:15   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
I was confused though by the car-book that showed the 5W-40 to be good only upto 20 degrees C.
I think you are looking at it the wrong way. The manual does not mean 5W-40 is good only for -20C to +20C. It means if you live in temp range of -20C to +20C then you can use 5W-40. Similarly for other grades. That is why 10W-40 and 15W-40 are listed with higher temp range.

@rock75: which shop did you get the petronas oil from?

OT: Went to Best Price today with a relative who has a shop. Came to know that Castrol oil is available there, with a little discount. Magnatec was there with MRP 915. BB Price 860.
Sadly no other company oil (Shell , Mobil etc) was available.
It had Castrol Universal brake fluid too at Rs41 for 100ml bottle.

Last edited by guptavis : 19th November 2010 at 18:18. Reason: OT
Old 20th November 2010, 20:30   #2709
BHPian

My Fiesta 1.6S has done 13500 kms and I wish to change to fully synthetic engine oil. Pls guide me as to which one these OWS oils will be most suitable:

OWS Syntholube TXI 5W50
OWS Multilight 5W40
OWS MultiLight LXI 10W40

regds
Old 20th November 2010, 22:00   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
My Fiesta 1.6S has done 13500 kms and I wish to change to fully synthetic engine oil. Pls guide me as to which one these OWS oils will be most suitable:

OWS Syntholube TXI 5W50
OWS Multilight 5W40
OWS MultiLight LXI 10W40

regds
Run 5W40 or 5W50.
10W40 is semi synth.

Btw, Mention Team-BHP for a 10% discount.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:14   #2711
BHPian

My Swift VDI has completed 15000 kms and due for oil change. Uptill now I was running on a minral oil which is covered under free service from Maruti (last change was at 10,000 Kms.

My normal running is around 2000 Kms a month and intend to move on syntheic oil

Would like to know which grade of oil should I use, Is Mobil 1 better than shell and lastly how important is engine fulsh while switching from Minral to synthetic
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:13   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
Would like to know which grade of oil should I use, Is Mobil 1 better than shell and lastly how important is engine fulsh while switching from Minral to synthetic
Do not take this otherwise but if you were to go over the last 10 or so pages of this thread you will find all the answers regarding which grades etc to use and flushing.

As far as Mobil 1 and Shell are concerned both are A1 products with their own fan followings. Once you have done your research do let us know which brand and grade did you finalize and your take on flushing as in it being a 'necessary evil' or a gimmick.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:43   #2713
BHPian

Quote:
Do not take this otherwise but if you were to go over the last 10 or so pages of this thread you will find all the answers regarding which grades etc to use and flushing.

As far as Mobil 1 and Shell are concerned both are A1 products with their own fan followings. Once you have done your research do let us know which brand and grade did you finalize and your take on flushing as in it being a 'necessary evil' or a gimmick.
Thanks Khoj...It was very much helpful, I am going with OWS 0W40 Mobil1 which is as per the MS standards.

I managed to get flushing free of cost from Maruti authorised service station.

will update the results next week
Old 25th November 2010, 18:04   #2714
BHPian

Hi folks,
Here is an update of the oil-change of my Getz Prime 1.1.

A couple of days ago, I found some time to go to Alok Automobiles (Hyundai Authorized SS and highly recommended by bhpians of Kolkata) and ultimately had the oil change to synthetic done (roughly at 10K km). Along with I had some other small job done there.

Suman-da of Alok Automobiles actually put Petronas Syntium 5000 0W-40 (we of course got the filter also changed).

So far, unlike many others participating in this discussion, I have found no significant reduction in idling noise. In any case my car is already reasonably quiet, and may not go any quieter I suppose. However, with limited driving after the oil change, I find a positive change whenever the car is moving at any appreciable speed (>30kmph). It seems somebody is actually pushing the car from behind, and as a result it's as if the car is expending less effort in order to move forward. I do not think this is an illusion. Another positive development I notice is that the car is coming faster off the cold start to decent operability. The blue light (indicating cold engine) under the tacho is off faster now.

However, I have some confusion theoretically. I decided on the 5W-40 and if I am not too mistaken when I talked to Suman-da, he mentioned this grade. But at the shop, they actually put in 0W-40 which I am a bit weary off. I asked him if it will withstand the Kolkata heat (upto about 40 degrees in the summer). He nodded positively.

So there I am with the Petronas Syntium 5000 0W-40 in the car. As I said so far the car is running beautifully and smoother than ever before. But I have some doubts in my mind about the grade and its feasibility in our conditions (right now the temperatures are beautiful with nights starting to get cooler).

In the following I am attaching a pdf file that compares some of the technical specs of a few popular synthetic oils of different grades and also the Hyundai servo grades that they have so far put in my car I guess (actually they put the normal Servo and not the Servo Premium). Please take a look, the experts, and explain to folks like us how do you feel about the specs. Should I be worried that 0W-40 went in my car? I have some idea about some of the numbers in the file, but not all. Some boxes are left empty because the data was not available from the source (mostly company websites) I have used.

Regards.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf engineoil_comp.pdf (29.4 KB, 933 views)

Last edited by asitkde : 25th November 2010 at 18:10.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:09   #2715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
your take on flushing as in it being a 'necessary evil' or a gimmick.
These expensive fully synthetic lubricants have expensive, well performing additives blended in.
Call it a "built in" engine flush.

The engine will be in its pink of health only when its clean and it is necessary to be spick and span inside. Using synthetics will guarantee this and so I never recommend anyone the flush when they're gonna fill the engine up with fully synthetic oil.

Some engine flushes create more damage(wear & tear) than if the engine stayed dirty.
Food for thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks