Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 16:25   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I checked with a dealer here in Noida. Price is 1150/- / Ltrs (With Taxes). the price is same for both Mobil1 0W40 and Mobil1 5W50.
He was saying that for indian climate, 0W40 is better than 0W50
For extreme conditions in India,it should be other way round.
My Accent,has been running on 5w50 since around 40K kms,now,and i can vouch for 5W50.
Also,the price here in chandigarh is 800\L.
1150\L sounds absurd.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:40   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
My Accent,has been running on 5w50 since around 40K kms,now,and i can vouch for 5W50.
1150\L sounds absurd.

I was in Panchkula last week for couple of days. Did not realise that the price difference will be huge, else would have purchased it from there itself.
Let me try to check with some other dealers here in Noida. maybe somebody can offer a better price.
Old 10th December 2010, 18:36   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
1150\L sounds absurd.
Akshay

1150/L is MRP. Typically the discounted price is around 850/L for the end user.

Push him for a discount.

Regards

Sateesh
Old 10th December 2010, 21:41   #2749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I got 5W50 Mobil 1 Super Synth for my Ford Fiesta S yesterday. 5 litres of it.
One extra litre to top up if and when required.
Also got a new Motorcraft OE Oil filter for the same car, to install after the engine flush.
Finally Doc Frank goes the synth way. IFAIK the Fiesta uses 10w-30 as OEM mineral oil, as did the Ikon 1.6.

IMHO better to use 0w-40 or 5w-40 (if you don't get the same 10w-30 grade in synth) as these Ford engines require low viscosity oils. You will MISS the easy revving response of your engine should you go in for a SAE 5w-50. High viscosity oil feels like someone has put light grease in the engine...making it smooth but a tad sluggish whilst revving.
Old 11th December 2010, 00:51   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Finally Doc Frank goes the synth way. IFAIK the Fiesta uses 10w-30 as OEM mineral oil, as did the Ikon 1.6.

IMHO better to use 0w-40 or 5w-40 (if you don't get the same 10w-30 grade in synth) as these Ford engines require low viscosity oils. You will MISS the easy revving response of your engine should you go in for a SAE 5w-50. High viscosity oil feels like someone has put light grease in the engine...making it smooth but a tad sluggish whilst revving.
+100
I know the ford 1.6 engine and it really deserves a light oil. Nothing over *W40.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:51   #2751
Senior - BHPian

I did use Mobil 1 in my Palio 1.9D few months after an engine re-build. I did not find any significant mileage/pick-up enhancement after the change.
Disappointed at this, I thought there's probably no point in showering the Palio with TLC - I sold it off.
Now thinking of treating the 7 year Santro Xing AT to Mobil 1. Anyone tried Mobil 1 or equivalent on a Santro Xing? What difference did you see to mileage/pick-up?
Old 13th December 2010, 14:57   #2752
Team-BHP Support

Which oil is good for TDCi engine of a Ford?
Old 13th December 2010, 17:45   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Akshay

1150/L is MRP. Typically the discounted price is around 850/L for the end user.

Push him for a discount.

Regards

Sateesh
Do you know where I can get synthetic oil for a cheaper price? I can see that the price for the Mobil 1 synthetic 4l (i think 5W40 or 0W40) can has increased to Rs. 4600.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:25   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Do you know where I can get synthetic oil for a cheaper price? I can see that the price for the Mobil 1 synthetic 4l (i think 5W40 or 0W40) can has increased to Rs. 4600.
Please contact Sandeep (Mobil1 Karnataka Distributor) @ +919448397389. You can also visit J K Automobiles on J C Road for Mobil 1

Hope this helps

Sateesh
Old 13th December 2010, 21:56   #2755
BHPian

Any idea from where to source Mobil1/Shell in Kochi?
Old 13th December 2010, 22:03   #2756
BHPian

I own a Santro Zip+(2002) clocked 78k.Can you folks advise what grade Synthetic/Non Sythetic Oil can be used and will it increase performance of the car?

Usage of the car is mostly in the city, with occasional outing during the year.An average of 10k per year.Car servicing usually done at Authorised Hyundai Stations, i guess they use Servo.
Old 14th December 2010, 00:37   #2757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I did use Mobil 1 in my Palio 1.9D few months after an engine re-build. I did not find any significant mileage/pick-up enhancement after the change.
Disappointed at this, I thought there's probably no point in showering the Palio with TLC - I sold it off.
Now thinking of treating the 7 year Santro Xing AT to Mobil 1. Anyone tried Mobil 1 or equivalent on a Santro Xing? What difference did you see to mileage/pick-up?
Don't expect miraculous gains in mileage and pickup with synthetics. A small improvement MAY be there but nothing that justifies the large increase in price when compared with good quality mineral oil. Synthetics are better at protecting & lubing the engine in extreme conditions.

Needless to say, don't try and justify/set off the cost of synthetic by stretching the drain intervals. You will need to stick to mfr recommended guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
I own a Santro Zip+(2002) clocked 78k.Can you folks advise what grade Synthetic/Non Sythetic Oil can be used and will it increase performance of the car?

Usage of the car is mostly in the city, with occasional outing during the year.An average of 10k per year.Car servicing usually done at Authorised Hyundai Stations, i guess they use Servo.
If your car has done 78K kms on mineral better to stick to mineral or a good quality semi synthetic like Castrol Magnatec. Synth is much better at cleaning out sludge and deposits from piston rings and other parts of the engine. Switching to synthetic now might dislodge them and make you feel the engine is running rough. Of course, you may want to consider the additional expense and if your usage justifies it. As for performance increases with synthetics - see above.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th December 2010 at 00:38.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:24   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I switched to Mobil1 on my 2002 santro a few months back and I have foll observations:

- Engine is like makhan - smooooth
- Even on high revs engine retains the same smoothness
- Have not checked the mileage yet - need to check that
- pickup is a little better than before
- However it does cost a bomb. I paid almost 3.5K - compare that to 650/- for mineral seems like a lot of money.
- But what the hell - I enjoy driving her now!!
Old 14th December 2010, 14:07   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Don't expect miraculous gains in mileage and pickup with synthetics. A small improvement MAY be there but nothing that justifies the large increase in price when compared with good quality mineral oil. Synthetics are better at protecting & lubing the engine in extreme conditions.

Needless to say, don't try and justify/set off the cost of synthetic by stretching the drain intervals. You will need to stick to mfr recommended guidelines.

If your car has done 78K kms on mineral better to stick to mineral or a good quality semi synthetic like Castrol Magnatec. Synth is much better at cleaning out sludge and deposits from piston rings and other parts of the engine. Switching to synthetic now might dislodge them and make you feel the engine is running rough. Of course, you may want to consider the additional expense and if your usage justifies it. As for performance increases with synthetics - see above.

Rgds,
Thank you very much for explaining the difference.I agree on the cost difference,Mobil 1 will cost about 4.6k for 4L.I would have to reconsider,as my usage does not justify the expense.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:43   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
I switched to Mobil1 on my 2002 santro a few months back and I have foll observations:

- Engine is like makhan - smooooth
- Even on high revs engine retains the same smoothness
- Have not checked the mileage yet - need to check that
- pickup is a little better than before
- However it does cost a bomb. I paid almost 3.5K - compare that to 650/- for mineral seems like a lot of money.
- But what the hell - I enjoy driving her now!!
@surd_biker Thanks. Let's know how it goes with the mileage as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks