Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 22:42   #2776
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GTR
I have decided to stick to 5W30 till next oil change.....& drive at lower RPMs. What is the opinion about adding some additive? Is it going to help?
1. Good call
2. Don't add any additives and don't stress the engine.
You should do ok.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:12   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey guess what? That principle of learning applies to you too! Not that I want to get into a slanging match here.
Touche, you got me what with the principle indeed being universally applicable. Lesson in manners - check

Quote:
If you really believe that any oil can be used in any engine...well, please go ahead and follow your own theory! The rest of us will be content to follow sane advice i.e. what a car owners manual recommends.
Regards,
As for the underlined part above that is not the gist of what I have posted but whatever it is ( the technical bits ) that I have, I stand by it. Thanks again & Regards

Last edited by khoj : 21st December 2010 at 00:14.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:13   #2778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Touche, you got me what with the principle indeed being universally applicable. Lesson in manners - check
No worries...we all have our moments. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
As for the underlined part above that is not the gist of what I have posted but whatever it is ( the technical bits ) that I have, I stand by it. Thanks again & Regards
Appreciate that.

I can relate to the 'Castor oil' bit having grown up in the 70s with Ambys Standard Heralds and Premier Padminis which could use nearly any engine oil you poured into them. Those engines were ancient tech even in those days. The commonly used oil in those days was SAE 50. The technical bits about flash and pour points are correct but the applicability of any oil in any engine where you say "oil is oil" isn't. Either way...let this rest here. We all have our opinions.

Wishing you a good day.

Cheers!
Old 21st December 2010, 10:46   #2779
BHPian

I have a Hero Honda Pleasure gearless scooter. Am interested in using fully synthetic oil. Pls recommend a good fully synthetic engine oil guys. Can i use Mobil 0-50 or 5-50?
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah
Old 21st December 2010, 11:43   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabhayshah76 View Post
I have a Hero Honda Pleasure gearless scooter. Am interested in using fully synthetic oil. Pls recommend a good fully synthetic engine oil guys. Can i use Mobil 0-50 or 5-50?
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah
Any oil you use must be two-wheeler specific. Don't use a car oil.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:53   #2781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabhayshah76 View Post
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah
Shell Advance Ultra or Castrol Power 1 Racing. These are the popular fully synthetics available for 2 wheelers.

Price of both should be around 750 per litre.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:07   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Guys, has anybody tried Eneos engine oils? They are a product of Nippon oil corporation (Japan) & are marketed here in India by the Tide water company (Veedol). I have a few cans lying around but never really got a chance to use them.

I wanted to seek some opinions before opening & putting them to use.

Drive safe.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:54   #2783
BHPian

Thank you Gansan & Para 7k. I will enquire abt those oils and get back to ya. Regards.
Old 24th December 2010, 10:45   #2784
BHPian

I had a look at Mobil Delvac 15W40 1L pack (Rs 260/-) It is specified for both Diesel & Petrol engines but it is mentioned "for heavy duty use"

The can shows pictures of truck, LCV & Pick up truck. Does it mean it is not for passenger cars & what exactly is "heavy duty"?

Meanwhile i checked the users manual & found that 5W30 is specified for Maruti 800 when used in low temperature weather.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:12   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Akshay

1150/L is MRP. Typically the discounted price is around 850/L for the end user.

Push him for a discount.

Regards

Sateesh
Got Mobil 1 0W40 for 3000/- (4 Litres) printed price was 4600. This was from Singh Motors in Sector 16 Car Market in Noida
Old 24th December 2010, 17:10   #2786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
The can shows pictures of truck, LCV & Pick up truck. Does it mean it is not for passenger cars & what exactly is "heavy duty"?
It means it can be used for heavy duty usage, long hauls, constant start stop, heavy hauling etc and you might have seen it has excellent detergent characteristics mentioned, since its designed for diesel turbo's with EGR.
Old 24th December 2010, 18:15   #2787
BHPian

hi team, need some help from fellow i10 owners and oil gurus in this thread for my hyundai i10 kappa.

Firstly, please tell me what is the manufacturer's recommendation for oil grades for the 2009 i10? as the oil grade chart given in the manual isn't very clear as it has different oil grades for different temperatures. i stay in mumbai and ambient temperatures are pretty erratic

Well my car has run 5k kms and now i wish to go the synthetic route. Kindly suggest the brand and grade of oil soo that i can pick the right engine oil for my car.

PS - my car is currently running on Shell HX3 API-SG 20w50 since the last 500kms. I know that API-SG is pretty dated but my driver got the oil change done while i was out of town.

gurus, kindly suggest to my above queries

cheers
Old 27th December 2010, 11:07   #2788
BANNED

Quite frankly. Just look at the higher end of the grade specified for (unrestricted) ambient. Then get any decent oil with this higher rating. The lower lower point (a in aWb) is not that critical. You can search for my post(s) on this forum (incl. this thread) for a full explanation.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:04   #2789
BANNED

Could somebody let me know a dealer in Gurgaon/Delhi from where I could buy Castrol 10W40 semi-synthetic with an API-SM rating

Last edited by scarlet.fever : 27th December 2010 at 19:08.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:49   #2790
Senior - BHPian

^^ If in Gurgaon, there is one by the name of Jain oil depot at sohna chowk, next to the tvs showroom.

Drive safe.

Most Viewed