Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 12:51   #2821
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Nitrous: I agree about 5W30 Magnatec. Only he is in Mumbai (like you in Chennai) so 20W50 will not be such a disaster. If it was Leh or even Srinagar I will steer him to a 0/5W30!
I disagree.
He's got the twin-cam, high compression kappa engine.
The newer engines are designed to take lighter oils for the sake of fuel efficiency and eco-friendliness.
They've optimised the lubrication in the engine design so that the engine will cope with lighter oil , thus have sufficient lubrication while producing more power and efficiency.

This applies to all the new petrol engines like the K12 engines in the swift, ritz, etc and the M16A engine in the SX4. And all these engines are filled with 5W30 at the service centres.
Old 1st January 2011, 14:02   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
This applies to all the new petrol engines like the K12 engines in the swift, ritz, etc and the M16A engine in the SX4. And all these engines are filled with 5W30 at the service centres.
That is when they fill new gen MGO supplied by IOC! It is economical, even for synth.

But they also offer the option of Mobil 0W40 full synth for the same engines. Costs ~ Rs 4500.00 for 4 litres in a sealed can at the MASS.
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:38   #2823
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@naj: exactly my view a few tens of pages ago. If I look for VFM I find SemiSynths the best. Run of the mill cars do not have any real need for a synth.
+1.

Sir, I have put in my view with some authority as I am working with engine oils and IC engines for almost over a decade.We also document and test mineral oils every three months for the time they are in service.

The results show that in the life of the lubricant only 20 % of additives are consumed.The most common problems found are carbon in the oil, reduced viscosity due fuel contamination.

One can put in any type of oil in his automobile as per his wish.
In automobiles mineral oils are more than sufficient.

Cheers,
Naj
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:14   #2824
Team-BHP Support

Guys my Accord V6 has done about 7000kms since I put it on synthetic. Im using Mobil 1 right now. I think I should change in the next 2 weeks. Should I stick to Mobil 1 or any other suggestions? My car, being a vtec is revved a lot, so if there is any oil which is supposed to protect the car at higher rpms better then I will go for that.

Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:24   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys my Accord V6 has done about 7000kms since I put it on synthetic. Im using Mobil 1 right now. I think I should change in the next 2 weeks. Should I stick to Mobil 1 or any other suggestions? My car, being a vtec is revved a lot, so if there is any oil which is supposed to protect the car at higher rpms better then I will go for that.

Thanks.
What grade are you using,OW40 or the 5W50?
I think you can use the same oil for say 1-2K more Kms.
and Mobil 1 is one of the best,if not the best.
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:33   #2826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Please refer your manual. If the oil you use is = / > the spec you find there, safely adhere to the interval mentioned in the manual ( xx KM / xx months,whichever is earlier). Do not exceed either of those parameters even if your current oil is rated as liquid gold!

I think Mobil 0W40 will be more suitable for your purpose.
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:43   #2827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What grade are you using,OW40 or the 5W50?
I think you can use the same oil for say 1-2K more Kms.
and Mobil 1 is one of the best,if not the best.
Im using 5w50. Whats the difference between the two? Besides the grade of course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Please refer your manual. If the oil you use is = / > the spec you find there, safely adhere to the interval mentioned in the manual ( xx KM / xx months,whichever is earlier). Do not exceed either of those parameters even if your current oil is rated as liquid gold!

I think Mobil 0W40 will be more suitable for your purpose.
The car runs fine on mineral oil too. But I switched to synthetic and am well within the limits for changing the oil.

Why do you say 0w40 is more suited?
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:48   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you say 0w40 is more suited?
Shell mentions their 20W50 oil as more suitable for older engines or engines with a lot of mileage on the clock. I feel the same logic will apply to any brand of oil with the upper spec of 50, irrespective of the lower one. 50 will form a thicker film than 40, however microscopic, which may not be appropriate for your new gen engine. I have no idea about the specs in your manual, of course. Does it mention 50?

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd January 2011 at 12:52.
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:26   #2829
Senior - BHPian

A xW50 oil would offer more protection than an xW40 oil when the engine is in the operating temperature range. Period.

More so, If
  • The engine frequently is raced to the red-line/highly revved
  • The car is run on highly congested stop-go traffic conditions frequently, where the ECG components of the car under high stress
Similarly, if you run your car in a rather cold environment, the lesser the value of 'x', the more protection for your engine during cold starts.
Old 2nd January 2011, 14:56   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
A xW50 oil would offer more protection than an xW40 oil when the engine is in the operating temperature range. Period.
So can we go ahead and use 0W50 oil even if the recommended oil is 10W30?
Old 2nd January 2011, 16:59   #2831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the conditions I mentioned in my previous post apply, Yes.

I will give you an example. All Honda and HH bikes used 20W40 oils in the past. Now, the same engines are recommended 10W30. Even for the old bikes which were recommended a 20W40. This was done for marginally better FE which is the outcome of using a lighter oil. But, fact is that there is more wear and tear in the engine.

The general thumb rule when choosing multi-grade oils during winters is choosing one which has a least 'x' and the recommended 'y' (in xWy). During summers, choose one with the greater 'y', which is preferably 10 more than the recommended.

In fact, many manufacturers provide this info in the owners manual. A lighter oil for the winters and extreme cold conditions, and a much heavier one during summers/harsh driving conditions (read redlining, stop-go traffic, etc.)
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:20   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

More so, If
  • The engine frequently is raced to the red-line/highly revved
  • The car is run on highly congested stop-go traffic conditions frequently, where the ECG components of the car under high stress
Similarly, if you run your car in a rather cold environment, the lesser the value of 'x', the more protection for your engine during cold starts.
I agree,a W50 oil would offer more protection than 0W40,this is why i have been using,5W50 Mobil1 over the OW40 one,though i have heard,that it may go against the rev happy nature of the engine,to some extent.
@Akshay1234 whats the recommended grade for your Accord?
@Gansan sir,yes you can use a w50 oil on an engine like a HH engine,I have been using 15W50 Motul 300V on my Zma,and after 65K kms of hard riding,engine is still on original Bore and piston.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 2nd January 2011 at 19:22.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:44   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can say that it's fine for use in an Alto (800cc). I have personally been using it for over an year now. Moreover, the manual also lists xW40 & xW50 as the appropriate grades for use in the engine.

Drive safe.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:47   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You'll lose power and fuel efficiency.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:57   #2835
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I know it is OK with my Splendor and Alto! Bikes are more forgiving creatures, especially the older HH ones. The recommended oil in my bike's manual is 20W40, but HHASS themselves have been filling 10W30 in it for more than 80,000 KM of the 88000 KM it has so far covered, and it is still on original bore/piston!

It is OK for my Alto too, as the manual lists 10W30,20W40 and 20W50 under varying ambient temp/driving conditions, though the most recommended one is 20W40.

My Query was specific to Akshay's Civic and also other modern engines, if the manual does not recommend the grade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks