Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 21:44   #3001
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Hi all. After changing to shell helix ultra 5w40 fully synthetic on 3rd service of my swift vdi abs at 10k km, after doing 800 km, engine oil pressure light started to remain on. Check and got the engine oil pressure changed under warranty as that was found to be defective. My question is, how is it possible for that to go defective after the oil change service. Is switching from mineral to shell helix ultra 5w40 fully synthetic has anything to do to the occurance of this problem? or is it possible for the cause to be the way the oil was changed. After getting the engine oil pressure sensor changed, i can clearly feel as if they have changed it back to mineral as the difference i had on switching to synthetic oil is no longer there. Noise level is higher and also the engine performance is little less when compared with the one I had after changing to synthetic and before getting the oil pressure sendor changed. Is there anyway i can check if they have not changed the oil? Experts help please.. I got the engine oil changed and also the sensor changed by khivraj maruti, chennai. They say that they have not changed the oil but i feel the change very clearly.
Firstly Shell Helix Ultra is not the best for a diesel engine, it is mainly for petrol mills. You could have done better with Mobil Delvac 1.

Also, the change of oil type has nothing to do with the pressure switch going kaput. Just a coincidence.

Check your repair bill. Oil changes are consumables. Oil changes are not a service covered under warranty. They will always charge. If they have charged for the oil, you have your answer.

Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:04   #3002
BHPian

Yes R2D2. I dint pay anything and the bill had 'Free of cost labour' as entry with Rs.0 as the value for the bill. Even when I asked, they said that they did not change the oil but since I was feeling the difference when driving the vehicle, had that doubt. Anyways, thanks for your response.

Planning to change the oil at 15k km as I initially thought of changing at 20k km thinking that shell helix ultra would last for 10k km of usage. Not concerned about the time duration as I would do 2000 km minimum in a month. Next time, I will make sure, i choose the one for diesel engine.

Can anyone suggest a good fully synthetic oil that meets CG-2 or higher? Please specify the exact name with the brand of the oil.
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:33   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all. After changing to shell helix ultra 5w40 fully synthetic on 3rd service of my swift vdi abs at 10k km,
The oil from the Shell range for diesel engines is the Helix Diesel Ultra or the Ultra Extra. The plain Ultra is for petrol engines. See the guide under the link provide here

http://www-static.shell.com/static/p...tion_guide.pdf
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:57   #3004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to change the oil at 15k km as I initially thought of changing at 20k km thinking that shell helix ultra would last for 10k km of usage. Not concerned about the time duration as I would do 2000 km minimum in a month. Next time, I will make sure, i choose the one for diesel engine.

Can anyone suggest a good fully synthetic oil that meets CG-2 or higher? Please specify the exact name with the brand of the oil.
You're welcome Satish. Given that Helix Ultra is a petrol engine oil (only CF rated for diesels) it would be good if you coould change at 7.5-10K kms mark. Changing later than 10K wouldnt be advisable and certainly not at 15-20K kms.

As I said below, Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 should suit your engine (thats the viscosity they use for Fiat diesels). AFAIK Delvac 1 is API CJ4. But it is a little difficult to find. TBHPians in Chennai may be able to help.

There's a separate thread on diesel engine oils on TBHP with a wealth of information for diesel vehicle owners. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Good luck!

Cheers!

PS - Check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2323932

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd May 2011 at 08:02. Reason: Added PS and link
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:53   #3005
BHPian

Thanks Khoj and R2D2. Actually my car has done 11400 km. I meant earlier that I am planning to change at 15000 meaning that when the odo reads 15000 kmso actually I meant that I was planning to use this shell helix ultra for 5000 km rather then using for 10000 km as I initially though of doing. So as you said, will do 7.5k and then change the oil. So i would change when odo reads 17500 km.

Sure, will go though the thread for Diesel engine oil... Will follow this also for my Baleno. Just for info that I already posted: After changing to mobil1 0w40, we are extremely happy with our baleno.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:15   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Synthetic engine oil offers far superior lubrication as compared to conventional mineral-based oil. Mineral engine oil is almost entirely natural while synthetic oil is the product of chemical preparation with carefully perfected formulae. Most brands of synthetic oil include performance-enhancing additives like polyalphaolefin (PAO), synthetic esters and alkylated aromatics. The molecules of synthetic oil are also more consistent in size and shape than those of natural oil. The master of automotive engineering - Porsche - was the first car manufacturer to factory-fill its engines with synthetic oil before delivery.

Team-BHP highly recommends synthetic oil as your engine lubricant. The
Well said!

I quote from:

Synthetic Oil Vs Regular Oil

Important thing is that first 10,000 KMs use only mineral oil!
Old 20th May 2011, 16:14   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Well said!

I quote from:

Synthetic Oil Vs Regular Oil

Important thing is that first 10,000 KMs use only mineral oil!
Why? Just because a web site recommends it.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:30   #3008
BANNED

The idea of using mineral for the first 10k is to let the engine bed in. The risk otherwise was that a very good oil (like Synth) will glaze the cylinders and never let the engine run in properly. Modern engines have much finer tolerances so this is no longer required - you can go full synth from Day 0, as many do.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:00   #3009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Modern engines have much finer tolerances so this is no longer required - you can go full synth from Day 0, as many do.
Exactly Sir. You know this and I know this along with a handful of people who do their homework properly. This forum is however read by hundreds of laymen on a daily basis and one wonders what benefit could they derive out of a half baked copy paste job based on an 'expert' web site which itself seems to be stuck in the CI blocks of yore.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:29   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Dear Team,

With lots and lots of help from our dear TBHP member, Khoj, I changed my Chevy Tavera's engine oil to Shell Helix HX6 15W40. I did my car's service in Bosch's service centre. The Bosch experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. I will share the entire episode in my ownership thread soon.

Coming back to my Shell experience. Shell Helix oil is excellent. The drastic change in my car's engine's pickup and the unbelievable reduction of engine noise shocked me! I purchased Shell from a dealer in Aundh. I had to purchase two cans of 4 litres each. The cost worked out to Rs. 850 per litre.

My Chevy has run a trouble free, 1,03,000 kilometres so far. I think my Chevy Tavera is the first in Team BHP to complete this stage. Earlier, I was using the Elf engine oil supplied by the authorised service centre. It wasn't too good for the engine. Then I used Bosch Oil after Chevy's 93,000 km service. The oil was marginally better than Elf.

So when I finally used Shell Helix, I was totally taken aback by the improvement in Chevy's performance. I will recommend Shell any day!

And thanks once again Khoj Bhai!

Edit: Cost of the oil was Rs. 850 for a 4 litre can! Thanks Amit for the correction. Sorry for the typo!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 1st June 2011 at 15:40.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:37   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Dear Team,

..Shell Helix HX6 15W40..cost worked out to Rs. 850 per litre.
Thanks for sharing your feedback on the oil. I think the above is a typing mistake, Helix HX6 15W40 is mineral oil, should not be 850/L.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 16:11   #3012
Senior - BHPian

^^I always use Shell Helix HX5 15W40 for my Alto. It is a very good mineral oil and costs ~ Rs 900 for 4 litres. I figured that for my low usage (5k KM/year) it makes more sense to change this oil twice a year, than to throw away expensive Helix Ultra (Rs 950/litre) at half life once a year!
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:38   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The idea of using mineral for the first 10k is to let the engine bed in. The risk otherwise was that a very good oil (like Synth) will glaze the cylinders and never let the engine run in properly. Modern engines have much finer tolerances so this is no longer required - you can go full synth from Day 0, as many do.
Sir
Can I change the Swift VDI (done 13000 kms) to a synth oil on my next service since my feeling was to change the oil on the word go but my car dealer informed me to change it later as it was costly(rather was trying to deter me from going synth). Sir will the synth oil require changing at every 5k.

rgds
Prasad
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:49   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Can I change the Swift VDI (done 13000 kms) to a synth oil on my next service since my feeling was to change the oil on the word go but my car dealer informed me to change it later as it was costly(rather was trying to deter me from going synth). Sir will the synth oil require changing at every 5k.
You will have to stick to M/S recommendations till your car is in warranty. If the company recommends synthetic oil change at 5k kms only, then I dont think its worth the effort. If its something like 10k kms or more, you should do fine. But in real, 10k on synthetic in diesel car shouldnt be a problem.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:57   #3015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Sir

rgds
Prasad
Warning the customers regarding Synthetic being costly and 'not much difference etc.' is a part of the routine that the dealers are instructed to go through with each and every customer who wants to switch. Reason number one is people do not realise that the oil is three times the price for the quantity involved and even if they are ok with the price they expect magic as in stupendous milage improvements or take off speeds akin to a formula 1 car complete with 'kers'.

Not everyone realises the true advantages of going synthetic and the dealers simply do not have the time to handle agressive customers at the fag end of the day with dozens of cars lined up for payment and delivery etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
You will have to stick to M/S recommendations till your car is in warranty. If the company recommends synthetic oil change at 5k kms only, then I dont think its worth the effort. If its something like 10k kms or more, you should do fine. But in real, 10k on synthetic in diesel car shouldnt be a problem.
Maruti recommends the Mobil range and the same is available at their workshops. Further they will change the synthetic only after 10K. This was experienced recently when our driver took the Zxi for service. The adviser while handing over the car in the evening told him "oil not changed but will do so on next service" The MSM garage in New Delhi were able to access the service history of the vehicle via their centralised computer network and see that oil filled the last time around in Poona was Mobil1 and they let it be. Typing this I can only hope that they did check the levels etc. which I believe they would have as even a quarter liter top up would cost a pretty penny + labour would further make it worth their while.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks