Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 09:02   #3061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2

Hi. I have not heard good things about Castrol Edge and stayed far away from it. Worse it is more expensive than SHU with dealers sticking to their MRP rates. Not for me.

SHU has served me well since 2009 and till such time I get a Mobil1 equivalent or recommended grade I will stick to SHU. The Shell distributor Heera Oil Corp; Pune, 9422303655. He is at Pune-Satara Road.

I purchased Mobil1 5w-50 for my OHC-I in '04-05 from Aru traders @ Paud Phata and he seems reliable (at least back then). If you live near or in Kothrud you can buy SHU from him.
Hey thanks!
Being in Kothrud, Aru Traders looks easily accessible, but I will get a quote from Heera on the phone to compare the rates. I hope SHU still sells at the rate you purchased some time back.
Old 22nd July 2011, 09:54   #3062
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I just went and picked this up for 2,700 all inc with a VAT BILL!

The guys at Ford A.S.S don't even know what kind of oil they use! During the second service they used some cheap mineral oil which has started turning back. I have another 6,500KM to go before the next oil change according to the manual but the oil is already black in color.
Well then you need to change the SC if they do not know the oil they are using. Or now since you know about the oil your car needs, you need to check if they are filling 10W30 grade oil with ford approval I mentioned earlier (look for exact approval #). If yes, you should be okay even though they know nothing about the grade or the approval etc. You mentioned that they used a cheap mineral oil, can you find out which one? Is the full oil name mentioned on the bill? If they in deed used wrong oil, you can simply complain to ford and they should help. Someone mentioned to me that Ford has tied up with many oil Cos for supply of their approved oils to their dealerships. Which means at least Ford is serious about it, the dealership may not be.

The reason I am writing so much is because I do not recommend a member to experiment with oils in he market due to a specific dealer's bad service. Especially for Ford cars as they have specific requirement engine oils for their cars. They would have done a lot of research before doing so and I think it won't be prudent to ignore that and use an oil from the market. SHU is a very good oil but the question is that is it good enough for your car which needs a different grade oil as per it's maker?

On a side note, if I may add, please do not go by the color of the oil. Many do that but that's not the right criteria to assess oil quality/ viscosity. Infact some would agree that oil turning brown and then black is a good thing as it shows that the oil is doing what it's expected to do i.e. clean the sludge, soot etc with it's detergent quality. If color was a criteria diesel cars would require oil change every 1000 km.

Cheers mate!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 22nd July 2011 at 09:58.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:24   #3063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
The reason I am writing so much is because I do not recommend a member to experiment with oils in he market . Especially for Ford cars as they have specific requirement engine oils for their cars.
Two thumbs up to you Amit. Very sane advice that I subscribe to and advice all my friends to follow.

Thing is, I do not understand why folks think that trying different grades and makes of oil is like tasting a variety of cold drinks. That's not how the engine sees it.

Regards,
Old 23rd July 2011, 00:36   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The MRP is ~ Rs 1050.00 per litre, so the price with VAT at Shell is correct. They don't give any discount. Big dealers normally give a discount of 5 - 10%. I don't know how they gave it for Rs 2700.00!

Is the importer / marketer info on the label the same as found at Shell stations? And what is the date of mfg?
I know! I was hesitant to spend Rs4,400 just on engine oil but 2,700 seems reasonable.

Date of Mfg is April 2011 date of import May 2011
Mrp - Rs 4,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Captain Slow you got a good deal. I had bought a can of SHU for 2700 but that was slightly old stock back in 2009.

And very importantly, Amit is absolutely spot on. Ford uses 10w-30 (at least did in my friend's Ikon). Their engines require low viscosity oil. Do not fill grades of higher viscosity without confirming. Also, ask Ford if they have an approved synth option for your car.

I have been using SHU in my car since 2009. Mobil India does not sell a 5w-40 or 10w-30 grade which my car's engine needs. I bought a can in 2010 and 2 cans in 2011 for Rs 3100 each from the Shell distributor in Poona. How do I know he's authorised? I got his details from Shell India via email.

I do not intend paying Rs 4400/- i.e. 42% more for the same thing @ the Shell station.
Cheers!

Indeed no point paying 42% more at shell outlets.
0W-30 or 0W-40 is not recommended conditions like in India.
I just checked and Ford does use 5W-30.
The the Shell Helix Ultra extra is 5W-30 While the regular Helix is 5w-40.
Looks like I cant use this on the figo I will try this oil in my old car and see what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Well then you need to change the SC if they do not know the oil they are using. Or now since you know about the oil your car needs, you need to check if they are filling 10W30 grade oil with ford approval I mentioned earlier (look for exact approval #). If yes, you should be okay even though they know nothing about the grade or the approval etc. You mentioned that they used a cheap mineral oil, can you find out which one? Is the full oil name mentioned on the bill? If they in deed used wrong oil, you can simply complain to ford and they should help. Someone mentioned to me that Ford has tied up with many oil Cos for supply of their approved oils to their dealerships. Which means at least Ford is serious about it, the dealership may not be.

The reason I am writing so much is because I do not recommend a member to experiment with oils in he market due to a specific dealer's bad service. Especially for Ford cars as they have specific requirement engine oils for their cars. They would have done a lot of research before doing so and I think it won't be prudent to ignore that and use an oil from the market. SHU is a very good oil but the question is that is it good enough for your car which needs a different grade oil as per it's maker?

On a side note, if I may add, please do not go by the color of the oil. Many do that but that's not the right criteria to assess oil quality/ viscosity. Infact some would agree that oil turning brown and then black is a good thing as it shows that the oil is doing what it's expected to do i.e. clean the sludge, soot etc with it's detergent quality. If color was a criteria diesel cars would require oil change every 1000 km.

Cheers mate!
The SA could only tell me that the oil is ford approved Saw the bill and it said some castrol at Rs 175-185 per litre.
But you are right about 5W-40 being the wrong grade for ford. Just checked the manual it recommends 5W-30.

I will check my last service bill and post back the exact details.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-shellhelix.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-shellhelixultra.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Slow : 23rd July 2011 at 00:44.
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:55   #3065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
But you are right about 5W-40 being the wrong grade for ford. Just checked the manual it recommends 5W-30.
I don't see why you can't use 5W40. The lower number should always be = / < than recommendation, while the upper one should be = / >. So 5W40 will not be a problem. For me the recommenced oil is 20W40 but I can use 5W40 or 20W50 without any issues. BTW what is the mileage of your Figo?

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd July 2011 at 12:56.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:48   #3066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't see why you can't use 5W40. The lower number should always be = / < than recommendation, while the upper one should be = / >. So 5W40 will not be a problem. For me the recommenced oil is 20W40 but I can use 5W40 or 20W50 without any issues. BTW what is the mileage of your Figo?
Gansan, its not so simple I am afraid at least with Ford. Their cars are designed for low viscosity oils. He may void his warranty using the wrong grade. My friend (referring to the Ikon) found his engine became smooth but sluggish and would not rev easily when he changed from Ford to 15-40 Castrol Magnatec that was available in 2004-05. The current Magnatec is 10w-40. He was advised by the dealer to either use OEM prescribed oil or an after market oil of similar grade. Needless to say after flirting with aftermarket he went back to OEM for the remainder of the time he owned that car.

Rgds,
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:54   #3067
Senior - BHPian

^^I see. I would like to know if there is an oil viscosity chart in the Figo manual showing different oil grades to be used in different conditions. Normally all car manuals will have this. If such a chart is there, his warranty can't be voided - provided he gets the oil filled at his Ford A.S.S.
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:00   #3068
BHPian

Hi all,
I have a Getz 1.1 which was run for ~40k kms on mineral oil, mostly oil used by hyundai service centre guys and sometimes used Castrol Magnatec. But after reading this post and thanks to a friend of mine NSX, I switched to Mobil1. Now the car has done ~44k and the performance and free revving engine is addictive. I am a fan of synthetic oil for life now. But as someone rightly said, its always better to run in the car and use it on mineral oil for some good amount of kms before using synthetic oil.

Please share if you also have got a similar marked difference in performance, engine free reving nature and mileage by using a synthetic oil.
Cheers
Rahul
Old 25th July 2011, 08:55   #3069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsrahul View Post
I am a fan of synthetic oil for life now. But as someone rightly said, its always better to run in the car and use it on mineral oil for some good amount of kms before using synthetic oil.

Please share if you also have got a similar marked difference in performance, engine free reving nature and mileage by using a synthetic oil.
I do not believe in the old theory that you need to run an engine x Kms before using synthetic. While previously it was proposed that only exotic cars like Ferrari, Lamborghinis, Jaguars, Aston Martins and the like had close engine tolerances that could put up with synthetic from day 1 of use, nowadays it is commonplace to see Toyotas, Hondas, Fiats with synthetic as factory fill. That puts paid to the theory.

Like you I use synthetic (Shell Helix Ultra) in my car and doubt I will go back to mineral. I have found a noticeable difference in smoothness and the engine revs better.

In fact many car mfrs recommend synthetic, but offer mineral oils to keep the cost of ownership and maintenance lower which is important in a country like India. Also dont believe in the theory that you can use synthetic for 20K kms, that's not advisable. Stick to recommended drain intervals. I change the oil every 12 months/10K kms as recommended.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:38   #3070
BHPian

In my M800 (1995), I put Shell Helix-Hx3(20W40), after service, the engine is slow to rev and seems heavy. I selected helix due to cleaning agents. After service immediately i saw, engine oil was exactly clean, when asked the SA told entire old oil can not be drained so oil will not look very clean. offer ur experience with Shell Hx3.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:44   #3071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
In my M800 (1995), I put Shell Helix-Hx3(20W40), after service, the engine is slow to rev and seems heavy. I selected helix due to cleaning agents. After service immediately i saw, engine oil was exactly clean, when asked the SA told entire old oil can not be drained so oil will not look very clean. offer ur experience with Shell Hx3.
AFAIK Shell Helix HX3 is 20W50 and not 20W40. This can be used for your car nevertheless.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:13   #3072
BHPian

It took one week for me to read this whole thread. After reading I am planning to switch from mineral to synthetic for my Logan 1.6 GLX Petrol.

Questions in my mind:

1) Already clocked 70k kms do I need to take care of anything before I switch to Synthetic? (i.e Engine Flush)

2) Which Oil grade best suits me? (Mobil1 0W40 or 5W50)

3)My 95% of the usage is in Highway (Bangalore to Chennai) will the 0W40 suites for both Bangalore and Chennai conditions or I need to switch 5W50 during summer?

4) Where do I get the recommended Oil in Bangalore?

Regards,

rashv
Old 26th July 2011, 01:58   #3073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
1) Already clocked 70k kms do I need to take care of anything before I switch to Synthetic? (i.e Engine Flush)
@70k, I would not recommend Engine Flush.
Quote:
2) Which Oil grade best suits me? (Mobil1 0W40 or 5W50)
Whats OE?
Quote:
3)My 95% of the usage is in Highway (Bangalore to Chennai) will the 0W40 suites for both Bangalore and Chennai conditions or I need to switch 5W50 during summer?
As mentioned above, stick as closely as possible to OE. Moreover, stick to one grade. No need for changing for each season. Bangalore - Chennai climate does not change drastically.
Quote:
4) Where do I get the recommended Oil in Bangalore?
Almost all shops that sell lubes.
Regards,
Old 26th July 2011, 10:03   #3074
BHPian

Has anybody used petronas synthetic oil for their cars ?
Old 26th July 2011, 10:18   #3075
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Has anybody used petronas synthetic oil for their cars ?
Yup i have used it in my Skoda VRS. it was SYNTIUM 5000 - 0W-40 @ 650/L. It was last year. Later i switched to Mobil 1. IMO mobil 1 is better any day.

Most Viewed