Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 10:39   #3196
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
You should go for Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 which is a diesel specific synthetic, meets the required specs and I have heard is also used by Maruti ASC's in SX4 diesel. Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W50 are primarily petrol specific oils with diesel compatibility as well but why not use Delvac 1 which is used by OEM as well. I think Delvac 1 will be a little cheaper as well than Mobil1.

BTW, is Maruti ASC at your place not using Delvac 1? If not, would they let you use your own oil while the car is in warranty?
Hey buddy i have a petrol sx4. No way i can use delvac in it.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:42   #3197
Senior - BHPian

^^Stick with the Maruti's recommendation. I think 5W50 will be more suited to engines with >100k KM on the odo.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 11:13   #3198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
Hey buddy i have a petrol sx4. No way i can use delvac in it.
My bad, since you mentioned recommended oil is 5W40, I assumed your car to be a diesel. I did not know Maruti recommends 5W40 synthetic for SX4 petrol as well.

So coming to your query, as Gansen mentioned for SX4 petrol, stick to 5W40 or you can go for 0W40 from Mobil1, which is one of the best synthetic oil for petrol cars. Again, what do Maruti ASC's fill in SX4 petrol?
Old 19th December 2011, 11:18   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
My bad, since you mentioned recommended oil is 5W40, I assumed your car to be a diesel. I did not know Maruti recommends 5W40 synthetic for SX4 petrol as well.

So coming to your query, as Gansen mentioned for SX4 petrol, stick to 5W40 or you can go for 0W40 from Mobil1, which is one of the best synthetic oil for petrol cars. Again, what do Maruti ASC's fill in SX4 petrol?
They fill idemitsu semi-synthetic.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:22   #3200
BHPian

As i have already got the oil i will go with it this time. I got the Mobil 1 from city motors opera house for 750/- per litre. Can our mumbai members suggest any place for shell hellix ultra ? City motors stocks only Mobil 1 .
Old 20th December 2011, 22:23   #3201
BANNED

This is what the Toyota uses for Liva petrol and as well as diesel(as per SA).
It is Idemisu licensed.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-201220111804.jpg  

oilmonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:21   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats expensive. Im getting it at 750 per litre. Im going to pick it up tomorrow.
hi akshay, where did you get shell helix ultra at that rate ? Opera House ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:16   #3203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
hi akshay, where did you get shell helix ultra at that rate ? Opera House ?
Now its 800 or so and last time I checked Shell wasn't available. City motors, Opera House.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:35   #3204
BHPian

My 2003 Alto has run close to 65k now, and I have always used Mineral Oil, 20W40, as per the user manual. Planning to change to synthetic now, what grade should I be going for? Have been checking out the products on the Shell and Mobil websites, and I am confused between Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, and Mobil 1 5W50 and 0W40.

Kindly tell me which one would be most suitable. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2011, 00:51   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't see why you can't use 5W40. The lower number should always be = / < than recommendation, while the upper one should be = / >. So 5W40 will not be a problem. For me the recommenced oil is 20W40 but I can use 5W40 or 20W50 without any issues. BTW what is the mileage of your Figo?
So which grade and what brand are you using for your Alto currently? And have you experienced substantial gains or improvements worth a mention?
Old 24th December 2011, 09:18   #3206
BHPian

I intend to change over to fully synthetic oil for my Palio Stile that has done about 40K kms. Engine flush has never been done. The brands that I checked out are Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra. I hear good things about Selenia, but am not sure where do I get it in Pune.

Kindly suggest:
(a) Do I get an engine flush done now since the car has run 40K kms. How do I decide if the care requires a flush (essentially, how do I figure out how many deposits...)
(b) Which brand engine oil to go for? I have the Shell petrol pump easily accessible, so can get the Helix Ultra.

Thanks for your responses in advance. I tried Google search, but did not come up with a conclusive answer.
Old 24th December 2011, 12:52   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
So which grade and what brand are you using for your Alto currently? And have you experienced substantial gains or improvements worth a mention?
I have been using Shell Helix HX-5 from the first service onwards. It is mineral, 15W40, API SL. So I can't talk of any improvement really, not having used any other oil!!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 16:45   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Synthetic engine oil offers far superior lubrication as compared to conventional mineral-based oil...
Team-BHP highly recommends synthetic oil as your engine lubricant...
Having read most of this thread, I am sure that with a daily running of almost 50km in varied conditions, synthetic oil will certainly prolong the engine life and performance of my car a lot. However, my only concern is that whether my Alto, having run close to 65k with MGO being replaced at every 5000 at MASS, would respond positively to a change to synthetic oil now. What are the chances that I would experience a leak from piston rings, or any other detrimental effects? Also, having used 20W40 all this time, what would be the recommended grade for a synthetic? Would 5W40 be fine? Or what about a 0W40?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 24th December 2011 at 16:46.
Old 24th December 2011, 16:57   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Just my 2 cents, if you have been getting the oil changed at 5K kms, you have actually been changing the oil well in time, maybe even earlier than required. If your daily drive is about 50 kms, I would suggest sticking to either mineral or maybe move upto semi-synthetic for a slight difference in price.

As for synthetic, you can easily go in for any oil that's xW40, such that x<=20. However, try to get an oil with an 'x' as close to 20 since this number depends on the base oil. The rest is the additive package, be it mineral or synthetic.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Having read most of this thread, I am sure that with a daily running of almost 50km in varied conditions, synthetic oil will certainly prolong the engine life and performance of my car a lot. However, my only concern is that whether my Alto, having run close to 65k with MGO being replaced at every 5000 at MASS, would respond positively to a change to synthetic oil now. What are the chances that I would experience a leak from piston rings, or any other detrimental effects? Also, having used 20W40 all this time, what would be the recommended grade for a synthetic? Would 5W40 be fine? Or what about a 0W40?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 24th December 2011 at 17:00.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 17:16   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Changing to synthetic at this mileage should not create any problems. Do not get the engine flushed irrespective of what the service advisor tells you, flushing generally is the number 1 reason for the leakages that start after oil changes.

As for the grades both would work fine, I would recommend that you buy the oil from your Maruti A.S.C. themselves. They have been selling Mobil1 for quite some time. This way you not only get genuine oil but also just in case you were to have any issue they will not be able to point any fingers at the oil bought outside. From next time onwards you can buy from outside.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks