Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 09:39   #3226
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Older cars have a recommendation of SAE40 hence the newer oils may not be kosher. There is a Shell 5W40(or is it 50) which is a Hydrocracked oil (so eligible for the Synthetic tag). Let me repeat VFM is in favour of semi-synth or even mineral. Make sure you get API-SM (or if there is any SN). Any oil which is equal or higher that API-SF (prehistoric) is ok for a year or 10,000km.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:30   #3227
BHPian

^^ It is Shell 5W40 synthetic. Are semi-synthetic oils also hydrocracked oils ?
Old 30th December 2011, 14:21   #3228
Senior - BHPian

As per 'conventional wisdom', one needs to change engine oil after the first thousand km (to remove 'factory' debris) and stick to mineral oil till 10 thousand km to allow better 'run-in'.

But as per Manual of K-series engine cars, we are supposed to change 'factory filled' engine oil only at 10 thousand km. Also, synthetic oil is recommended through out. Can somebody please explain this?

My A-star is nearing 1000 km, should I change engine-oil now regardless of recommendation from Maruti? Assuming the factory filled oil is synthetic, should I change to mineral oil now?
Old 30th December 2011, 16:56   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
As per 'conventional wisdom', one needs to change engine oil after the first thousand km (to remove 'factory' debris) and stick to mineral oil till 10 thousand km to allow better 'run-in'.

Yes you should change the oil at 1000kms or at first service interval.

But as per Manual of K-series engine cars, we are supposed to change 'factory filled' engine oil only at 10 thousand km. Also, synthetic oil is recommended through out. Can somebody please explain this?
You must change it 1000k to get rid of metal particles.

My A-star is nearing 1000 km, should I change engine-oil now regardless of recommendation from Maruti? Assuming the factory filled oil is synthetic, should I change to mineral oil now?
Factory filled is not synthetic. May be semi synth .
M124 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 17:44   #3230
Senior - BHPian

Ritz ddis -excess engine noise due to synthetic oil change

HI Folks,

Have a query. My friend who has a RITZ LDI has switched to synthetic oil-- MOBIL Delvac 5W40{3.1 ltrs} at the 12k service. After this oil change he has covered about 5k, and even though there is a noticeable imporvement in performance and mileage, he feels that the engine noise has gone up. Is this is a normal feature of synthetic oil? I myself have a DDIS Dzire and have hesitated in switching to Synthetic oil due to the high cost.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Motorworks
Old 6th January 2012, 00:10   #3231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ritz ddis -excess engine noise due to synthetic oil change

Engine noise will not go up. In-fact, engine will feel a lot smoother.

However, mileage and performance increase claims with an engine oil change are not realistic.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:42   #3232
jav
BHPian

Engine noise will increase a little but should become less after warming up, i have shifted back to normal oil as i feel very little difference when using synthetic

Last edited by jav : 6th January 2012 at 11:44.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:18   #3233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
HI Folks,

Have a query. My friend who has a RITZ LDI has switched to synthetic oil-- MOBIL Delvac 5W40{3.1 ltrs} at the 12k service. After this oil change he has covered about 5k, and even though there is a noticeable imporvement in performance and mileage, he feels that the engine noise has gone up. Is this is a normal feature of synthetic oil? I myself have a DDIS Dzire and have hesitated in switching to Synthetic oil due to the high cost.

Thanks,
Motorworks
Dear Motorworks- MOBIL Delvac 5W40 is not a synthetic oil. It is a regular mineral oil. Its not high when compared to semi synthetic oils like Castrol Magnatec.
Would recommend you switch to a synthetic oils when your car has run much more.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:50   #3234
BHPian

Quote:
HI Folks,

Thanks,
Motorworks
I hope this is not the effect of winters when diesel engines do feel a bit rough when cold. Is your friend feeling the noise is higher even after engine has warmed up? In any case, as long as the oil he got is genuine, there has to be some other reason for the increased engine sound. Delvac 1 can not be the culprit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Motorworks- MOBIL Delvac 5W40 is not a synthetic oil. It is a regular mineral oil. Its not high when compared to semi synthetic oils like Castrol Magnatec.
Would recommend you switch to a synthetic oils when your car has run much more.
kavesh - this is wrong. Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 is a fully synthetic diesel engine oil. Infact this is one of the best diesel engine oils available in India for non DPF equipped cars. API CI4+. It's Mobil Delvac MX and Super 15W40 which are mineral oils. Please see the link below for more details.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

No offence meant, just thought of correcting the information you have.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:28   #3235
Distinguished - BHPian

Synthetic oil drastically turns around your motoring experience for the better- that is best experienced than described. There is limited possibility of a well-maintained synthetic oil change degrading motoring experience.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:51   #3236
Senior - BHPian

thanks for all your responses. I have asked my friend to check with the maruti workshop at his next service interval. Even I was sure that changing to synthetic oil should not increase the engine noise as such, but I had never tried synthetic oil, hence had to ask for your responses.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:32   #3237
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for all your responses. I have asked my friend to check with the maruti workshop at his next service interval. Even I was sure that changing to synthetic oil should not increase the engine noise as such, but I had never tried synthetic oil, hence had to ask for your responses.
Motorworks ,

Have used MObil Delvac 1 from my 1st service onwards until today 18kms in my SX4 DDIS , car runs like Silk mate , its not the OIL which is the culprit for sure.

There will be plenty of BHpians who will vouch for this.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:40   #3238
BHPian

Hi,

Has he switched his fuel supplier?

when i use BPCL normal diesel on my ritz the engine is very smooth and very less noisy, but its very different when i use IOC normal diesel, very rough and more engine noise too.

Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 is a good oil for sure, has he brought the original Mobil Delvac 1? from a geniune source?
Old 10th January 2012, 13:30   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
For extreme conditions in India,it should be other way round.
My Accent,has been running on 5w50 since around 40K kms,now,and i can vouch for 5W50.
Also,the price here in chandigarh is 800\L.
1150\L sounds absurd.
I am in Panchkula for a week. Can you share the contact details of the shop in Chandigarh from where I can purchase Mobil1 0W40?
Old 10th January 2012, 13:43   #3240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I am in Panchkula for a week. Can you share the contact details of the shop in Chandigarh from where I can purchase Mobil1 0W40?
Abeer-you can get Mobil 1 in Chandigarh from the following shops.
Sector 28 Motor Market
Shop-Bombay Motors or Bharat Auto's.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed