Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 10:02   #3286
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

@gansan; Maybe, but then Castrol Magnatec 10W40 is doing fine in my Santro. Only now I have to look to see Magnatec is SAE40 and not the newer SAE30 grade which has also been introduced for the newer engines.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:23   #3287
Senior - BHPian

^^So between the old MGO (20W40, API-SF) and the new MGO (5W30, API-SL), can we choose the latter based on it's better API rating and ignore the lower viscosity?
Old 19th January 2012, 11:02   #3288
BANNED

Not really. See my earlier posts all over. In mWn, m can be lower but n must be the specification or higher. For example I have used Mobil 1 (0W40) in my Civic even though it is quite happy with SAE30.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:28   #3289
Senior - BHPian

^^For the Maruti F10 series engines, 10W30/20W40/20W50 oils are all permitted in the manual under varying ambient temperatures, though the 20W40 oil is the most common "one size fits all" one! I am sure the operating temperature of the engine will be much higher, irrespective of ambient temperature. So what is the big deal?
Old 19th January 2012, 12:15   #3290
BANNED

As per the chart pasted by k2max6 SAE40 is required for ambient conditions above 30C. I do not think if you live exclusively in the hills you should look at a SAE30 oil. So anything as long as it is SAE40 or higher will do fine. I will say even Mobil1 at 0W40 is Ok as is Shell Ultra at 5W50, as are so many others; 10W40, 20W40, 20W50, take your choice. @Gansan please do put your thinking cap on.
Old 19th January 2012, 15:04   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^For the Maruti F10 series engines, 10W30/20W40/20W50 oils are all permitted in the manual under varying ambient temperatures, though the 20W40 oil is the most common "one size fits all" one! I am sure the operating temperature of the engine will be much higher, irrespective of ambient temperature. So what is the big deal?
Operating Temperature surely is higher but the ambient temperature does contribute to the heat within the engine.
Just an example from my experience -
My laptop fan almost stays off in the winters but is always on in summers.The temperature of the processor is generally upwards of 60 C but the ambient temp makes the difference.
So if for instance 10W40 is the recommended oil for an engine, we can choose any other oil with mWn grade where m<=10 and n>=40 as explained by sgiitk.
After all the grades are there for a reason.

Last edited by k2max6 : 19th January 2012 at 15:05.
Old 19th January 2012, 17:04   #3292
BHPian

Not sure why there is confusion on the grades here.

the grade of oil is an indicator of the suitability to the outside weather. In cold and snowy conditions 5W types are used. For a little less cool environs, 10W is used. 15 and 20 are used in warmer climates. The higher the number, the more is warmed up viscosity of the oil. at lower temperatures, oil tends to solidify and become less viscose.
Old 20th January 2012, 01:37   #3293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Great Work Maruti
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Congrats mate, & it was a prompt response from Maruti's end.
Yes! Great on the part of Maruti. I wish all companies take up customer issues so seriously. Really changes the whole ownership experience
Old 20th January 2012, 09:58   #3294
Senior - BHPian

I have again spoken to a technical adviser at MSM today and he reiterates they are using 5W30 MGO for all fuel injected cars as per a circular received from Maruti. I have insisted he must give me a copy of the circular or at least show it to me and he has agreed. I will visit them in a couple of days and verify if this is true or not.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:22   #3295
Senior - BHPian

^^ I got a call from MSM a few minutes back. I was informed as per policy any internal communication can't be shared with the customers! They are using 5W30 for all FI cars as per instructions and placing orders only for this new MGO. They do keep a little stock of the 20W40 for carburetor cars that may come in for service, and this oil will gradually be phased out.

I asked them in that case, do the manuals of new 800 cc Altos and Omnis recommend 5W30 oil instead of 20W40! This stumped them and they said they do not know for sure, but are only following company instructions! They have offered to change the oil to 20W40 free of cost if I am still not satisfied!

What shall I do now? The car in question ('06 model Zen) is presently out of town. My inclination is to let the oil remain till the next service and then switch to Helix HX-5, as I feel it will not be that serious to justify an immediate change. Any suggestions, guys?
Old 20th January 2012, 11:56   #3296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I got a call from MSM a few minutes back. I was informed as per policy any internal communication can't be shared with the customers!.....

What shall I do now? The car in question ('06 model Zen) is presently out of town. My inclination is to let the oil remain till the next service and then switch to Helix HX-5, as I feel it will not be that serious to justify an immediate change. Any suggestions, guys?
Looks like he is fibbing. I do not see the hardware and tolerances being changed during the life cycle of the older engines.

I will go for a change, not necessarily in a hurry. But then in cockney,"You pays your money and takes your choice".
Old 20th January 2012, 13:57   #3297
BHPian

In my Getz Prime, in Nov 2010 (at that time less than 3 years old), I put in a synthetic oil (Petronas 0W40) for the first time. I have written about my experience that time in this thread. The drive became a lot smoother, and there was just a bit of improvement in the fuel economy. I usually get between 9 and 10 kmpl (with full AC) for short drives in the city. After the oil change, there might have been 0.5 kmpl improvement at best.

Now last November (in 2011), I again had to go in for a oil and filter change. This time the Petronas was not available. Instead, Castrol Edge 5W40 was put in. The drive remained as smooth as before. However, there is a significant improvement in fuel economy. I am now getting consistently 12 kmpl or slightly above for the last several tank fulls. Of course because of the colder weather now, the AC is mostly off (not completely off though), but I have observed in the past that there is usually a difference of 1 kmpl between AC on and off. The improvement I am experiencing now is definitely well beyond that.

What do you guys think this improvement is due to: Because of the change in the brand of oil? Or, because of the change in the grade? Or, something else. I do not think my driving style has changed all of a sudden. However, I am driving a bit more, and for a bit more distances at a time than before (because in the last few months I am making several trips in a week to our new apartment where currently some work is going on).
Old 20th January 2012, 14:26   #3298
BANNED

@asitkde; 0W40 or 5W40 is the same. Also, Petronas is also an excellent brand as is Castrol. How many total km has the car run. If it was under 10,000 then it could be running in else I am as foxed as you are. In any case enjoy the bonus!!

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th January 2012 at 14:41.
Old 20th January 2012, 14:30   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
the AC is mostly off (not completely off though), but I have observed in the past that there is usually a difference of 1 kmpl between AC on and off......... However, I am driving a bit more, and for a bit more distances at a time than before (because in the last few months I am making several trips in a week to our new apartment where currently some work is going on).
Think you have the answer to your question right there....longer distances without stops makes a huge difference + the lower ac usage.
Old 20th January 2012, 14:36   #3300

Need some advice guys. I moved to Mobil1 0W40 synthetic engine oil for my SX4 ZXi about 8 months back. Have driven the car about 7000 Kms since. What is the appropriate time to consider the next oil change? service advisors from Maruti say it should have been changed at 6 months since the company recommends either 6 months or 10K kms and they see no difference between mineral and synthetic oils!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks