Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:11   #3316
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I sent an email to the technical query page in MSIL website and got a reply today, which is reproduced:

Name K Ganesan
Email gansan99@gmail.com
City CHENNAI [/FONT]
Model Maruti Alto
Model Varient SELECT MODEL
Registration Number TN 22 BE 8006
Enquiry About Technical Query

Can the MGO 5W30 (meant for Alto K10) used for my Alto 800cc LXi? My service dealer MSM informs it can be, as per instruction received from MSIL. But I would like to check beforehand.
Thanks & Regards,
K Ganesan

ZZ_Sercomp@maruti.co.in

to me, SenthilSK.Kumar

Dear Mr. K Ganesan,
We are in receipt of your e-mail query dated 21.01.2012 regarding engine oil concern for your Maruti Alto 800cc.We would like to inform you that as per MSIL we recommended API SAE 20W40 (SHELL/CASTROL/IOC-MGO)engine oil in your alto 800.

We hope this clarify your query.

In future correspondences, please quote the above subject reference number. Assuring you of our best services always.

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,

Manish Kumar
(Sr.Manager, Service - 3)
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd

Ganesan Krishnamurthy

to ZZ_Sercomp, SenthilSK.Kumar

Thanks for the prompt reply. Recently I took a relative's '06 Zen to MSM for service and they have filled 5W30 oil in this car. When I enquired abouth this, they tell me this oil can be used for all FI cars as per instructions of MSIL. Now I know they made a mistake and were bluffing to cover it up. I will take the car to them for an oil change.

brgds
Ganesh

Now I will go to MSM with a copy of this mail, give them a piece of my mind and make them change the oil to regular MGO! Fortunately the climate here has not been hot for the past couple of months and hopefully no damage would have occurred.
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:26   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for letting me know, & I guess 'k2max6' also informed of certain MASS in Delhi that offer the same. I was not aware since neither my MASS nor a few that I know of offered it till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
MASS does offer that oil and the 4 liter packs come with MGO stamped on them. This oil was poured in to my Swift's block by 'My Car' a MASS located at Wakad in Poona.
gansan, a much appreciated effort. Thanks!

Get the oil changed & get a piece of your SA's head for having bluffed to you. But I guess, this is another incident that tells us all to not believe the SAs or the MASS about just anything that they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Now I will go to MSM with a copy of this mail, give them a piece of my mind and make them change the oil to regular MGO! Fortunately the climate here has not been hot for the past couple of months and hopefully no damage would have occurred.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:42   #3318

One more question: Is it ok to switch brands of synthetic oil if the grade remains the same (0W40 for example) or should one stick to the manufacturer recommended brand as well?
Old 24th January 2012, 12:46   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMakk View Post
One more question: Is it ok to switch brands of synthetic oil if the grade remains the same (0W40 for example) or should one stick to the manufacturer recommended brand as well?
Any reputed brand from a reliable source is good enough, so long as the spec equals or betters the car maker's specification.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 18:24   #3320
Senior - BHPian

I took the Zen to MSM today and got the oil and filter changed. Made sure they filled 20W40 MGO and stood nearby till the old oil was drained to my satisfaction. Did not pay a dime, naturally!

Since the car had done < 2K Km after the last change, they carefully collected the old oil in a clean container. For use to top-up other cars, I suppose. I patted my own back for always carrying my own oil for the Alto, and keeping a can at home for top-ups if required!
Old 30th January 2012, 22:03   #3321
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I got my 2002 Santro serviced last week and replaced Engine oil with Castrol Edge, bought at Metro for 2.7k, is it a good price?
Car is super smooth after oil change and will have to check if there will be any change in FE.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:25   #3322

I had purchased Castrol Edge 5W40 for Rs. 2100/- for a 4 litre pack! The MRP on the pack was around Rs. 4,900 (if I recall right). This was for my Santro and the oil change did do wonders to the running!
Old 6th February 2012, 13:45   #3323
Senior - BHPian

I believe that the difference in prices could be attributed to different locations, though I am not sure of what all goes into the calculation of selling prices.

I wonder if the MRP was also different in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Hi Folks,
I got my 2002 Santro serviced last week and replaced Engine oil with Castrol Edge, bought at Metro for 2.7k, is it a good price?
Car is super smooth after oil change and will have to check if there will be any change in FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMakk View Post
I had purchased Castrol Edge 5W40 for Rs. 2100/- for a 4 litre pack! The MRP on the pack was around Rs. 4,900 (if I recall right). This was for my Santro and the oil change did do wonders to the running!
Old 6th February 2012, 15:07   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Hi Folks,
Yup Santro does really feel super smooth after switching to synthetic. I am currently using Mobil1 (950 per litre) and it is simply too good. I just love the revving sound when I am on a open road. FE also is quite good 12-13kmpl without AC in city and 17 on highway though I dont know whether this is because of the oil.
Old 8th February 2012, 19:12   #3325
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Has Castrol stopped selling the "Castrol GTX" mineral oil in India?
The Castrol Page doesn't show it - Castrol India - Passenger Car Oil

Castrol GTX used to be SL grade - the Castrol GTX compact shown on the page is SJ which is a lower grade than SL.

Also does anyone know if there is Mobil product similar to Castrol GTX - the mobil india website is rather messy & doesn't list stuff as clearly as Castrol does

Last edited by carboy : 8th February 2012 at 19:13.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:13   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Yup Santro does really feel super smooth after switching to synthetic. I am currently using Mobil1 (950 per litre) and it is simply too good. I just love the revving sound when I am on a open road. FE also is quite good 12-13kmpl without AC in city and 17 on highway though I dont know whether this is because of the oil.
MOBIL 1 would have costed you 750/- per litre at opera house. Btw, i have also switched to mobil 1 last month. yes. FE does improve a bit but the cold weather also has an effect on the F.E.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:15   #3327
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 12:58.
M124 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:17   #3328
BHPian

Hey all, I have a bit of a problem.

I got my car back from the mech today after all the repair work (I had an accident, write-up coming up over the weekend). Now one of the things the mech did was to add about 500 ml of Mineral Castrol Oil, grade I do not remember but it was not the same as the oil in the engine. He did this because he thought the oil level was low.

Now I have been running Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic for a while (2 years) now. I am coming up for an oil change in about 2500 kms. Given the recent addition, is it absolutely required that i not run the car and first change the engine oil or can i run it for the remaining 2500 kms and then change it?

Would appreciate any guidance about this. Thanks.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 23rd February 2012 at 20:19.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:20   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy,

I don't think it would create any problems though this is not recommended.

500ml is roughly a 1/5th or 1/6th of the total oil capacity of your car's engine & when synthetic oils are formulated, such instances are kept in mind wherein an engine may receive some different sort of an oil in small quantities for various reasons, be it a simple top-up or the unavailability of a specific oil when it is required.

So, don't worry & carry on. Get the oil changed after 2.5K kms unless you actually find some difference in the way your car's engine is behaving. And just to ease your fears, go ahead & check the dipstick every once in a while before the upcoming oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hey all, I have a bit of a problem.

I got my car back from the mech today after all the repair work (I had an accident, write-up coming up over the weekend). Now one of the things the mech did was to add about 500 ml of Mineral Castrol Oil, grade I do not remember but it was not the same as the oil in the engine. He did this because he thought the oil level was low.

Now I have been running Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic for a while (2 years) now. I am coming up for an oil change in about 2500 kms. Given the recent addition, is it absolutely required that i not run the car and first change the engine oil or can i run it for the remaining 2500 kms and then change it?

Would appreciate any guidance about this. Thanks.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 24th February 2012 at 00:21.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:26   #3330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
... Given the recent addition, is it absolutely required that i not run the car and first change the engine oil or can i run it for the remaining 2500 kms and then change it?
Run the car for the remaining period and then change it. No need to worry and hurry.

Most Viewed