Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:19   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Changed engine oil to Mobil Super 10w30 in my ford ikon 1.6. Much better than Castrol Edge. Cheaper as well. 1200 rupees for filter and oil (4.5 lit). Recommended is 5w30 but the lower number does not matter.
Mobil is definitely better than Castrol as per my observations as well, though I have never personally used the "Super". Good luck & do post up your observations as the oil ages.

Buddy, not to contradict you but I believe that the lower number also matters. The density of an oil at temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius & below shows a lot of difference even with the smallest variation in the lower number i.e. 5 to 10 (as in your case). Not only that, you would find that the density of an oil with viscosity of 5W30, at a temperature of 40 is different than that of 5W40. The reason is the addition of more VIs.

These differences may not be all that significant in a real & practical scenario, is what I am assuming you had probably meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Just got Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for the 4th 20K kms service of my Gypsy King next week. I had not read this thread for a while so did not know that fully synth oils are available @700+ per litre. I paid 800/- per liter from a shell dealer on JC road. So 4ltr cost me 3200/-. The MRP reads 4400/- for a Sept 2011 import.
That's a good oil you chose. Also, if I remember correctly, I seem to recall reading some place that the Shell synthetics can mix up with a little amount of mineral because they are not true synthetics. When I say they aren't true synthetics, I mean that they are highly refined petroleum stock oils only. I am not too sure about the details but let me check & confirm here in case I find something.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 3rd April 2012 at 13:21.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:02   #3377
BANNED

@Ragul & @blackfire_9; Some people do not like calling Shell Ultra a true synth, since it is produced by Hydro-refining and not synthesis. Legally it is a synth. There is a post (I think by nitrous) on this sometime quite a bit earlier in the thread.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 08:45   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Mobil is definitely better than Castrol as per my observations as well, though I have never personally used the "Super". Good luck & do post up your observations as the oil ages.

Buddy, not to contradict you but I believe that the lower number also matters. The density of an oil at temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius & below shows a lot of difference even with the smallest variation in the lower number i.e. 5 to 10 (as in your case). Not only that, you would find that the density of an oil with viscosity of 5W30, at a temperature of 40 is different than that of 5W40. The reason is the addition of more VIs.

These differences may not be all that significant in a real & practical scenario, is what I am assuming you had probably meant.

Yes you are right , but the difference in a hot climate is very little.
Old 5th April 2012, 09:37   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best engine, transmission and power steering oil available in the Indian market? How different is it from the manufacturers oils?
Old 5th April 2012, 12:14   #3380
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy, I would begin by saying that defining the best is a little difficult since it's subjective. Some people have had good experiences with the same product/oil & others couldn't wait to throw it out of their vehicle's engines.

However, there are a host of good products out in the market that have served a majority quite well. I personally feel that the the entire product lineup from Shell, Gulf & Total is one of the best. You could give it a shot.

Coming down to the question of manufacturer's oils, well, a manufacturer does not manufacture these oils on their own. Rather, it's just an oil formulated & manufactured by an independent oil manufacturer but with the assurance & guarantee that it is as per the requirements of the car manufacturer. But it is a generally observed fact that manufacturer's oils are costlier than similar specification oils available from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Which is the best engine, transmission and power steering oil available in the Indian market? How different is it from the manufacturers oils?

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 5th April 2012 at 12:16.
Old 5th April 2012, 12:53   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I personally feel that the the entire product lineup from Shell, Gulf & Total is one of the best. You could give it a shot.
May be this is a very stupid question. But in your personal opinion, what is the best synthetic gear oil for standard manual transmission MPFI (Petrol) cars? I am asking because my car (Tata Indigo/Petrol) needs a gear oil change. The company recommended grade is Castrol (Extreme Pressure) EP-80. May I pour synthetic gear oil in it? If so, which brand shall I use?
Old 5th April 2012, 17:38   #3382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
So its official - 5W30 is not the right oil(or should i say MSIL specified) for F10 Engines as per MSIL as well, otherwise they wouldn't have changed it in the first case.
I am now facing exactly the same problem. I got my WagonR (F10D) serviced last Saturday (164k on the ODO) and when I saw the bill, I was noted that teh oil was 5W30. When I called my service advisor, I was told that Maruti now recommends Shell 5W30 for all MPFI cars.

I am now confused who is right as the Shell Website also tells that for Maruti Petrol vehicles this is a recommended Engine oil grade.

Help !
Old 8th April 2012, 10:56   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am now facing exactly the same problem. I got my WagonR (F10D) serviced last Saturday (164k on the ODO) and when I saw the bill, I was noted that teh oil was 5W30. When I called my service advisor, I was told that Maruti now recommends Shell 5W30 for all MPFI cars.

I am now confused who is right as the Shell Website also tells that for Maruti Petrol vehicles this is a recommended Engine oil grade.

Help !
Just Call Maruti and they themselves will ask the service station to change it.

Last edited by k2max6 : 8th April 2012 at 10:59.
Old 8th April 2012, 22:16   #3384
BHPian

have been using Shell Helix Ultra in my OHC so far. thinking of trying out OWS during next oil change (in next 2-3 weeks); any clues on the best price in Mumbai?

Last edited by infotech58 : 8th April 2012 at 22:18.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:32   #3385
BHPian

Hello all,
have been trying for about a month to see if Savita Oils can arrange a pack of SuperXL ultra 10W30 oil for my Honda City ZX which uses the same grade. I fail to understand why they cannot make available their own product in a city like chandigarh. After talking to the company reps and their distributor in the region many times, they have still not been able to arrange it. Anyways, im done waiting and would like suggestions on any other 10W30 mineral or semi-synth oil that can be poured into my city. I even went to a petronas exclusive dealer and he said petronas does not have any 10W30 for petrol engines and asked me to put 20W50 mineral or 5W40 synthetic. Any clues about whether he was speaking the truth? i would prefer to not have mobil or castrol.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:09   #3386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Anyways, im done waiting and would like suggestions on any other 10W30 mineral or semi-synth oil that can be poured into my city.
The only 10W30 oil that I know of is Shell Helix HX5 AF. Specs are 10W30 Viscosity Grade, API SL/CF. More info can be found here: Shell Helix HX5 AF | India

No idea whether the Petronas dealer was correct about suggesting 20W50 mineral or 5W40 synthetic as alternatives; maybe oil Gurus on the forum can help you out with that.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th April 2012, 02:01   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Got 4L Castrol Edge 5W40 from DC Motors Palika Bhavan for Rs.2300/-. The guy normally sells Edge for 25-2600/- but since I have bought stuff from him regularly and have recommended him to quite a few people who buy synthetic from him. He gave edge to me for 2300/-. The MPR is 3900/- and its a made in Malaysia batch imported in 12/11. Last Month Bhpian ACE_F355 bought Shell Helix ultra from this shop for Rs 2400/-, again a 4 L pack.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th April 2012 at 02:04.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:38   #3388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Got 4L Castrol Edge 5W40 from DC Motors Palika Bhavan for Rs.2300/-. The guy normally sells Edge for 25-2600/- but since I have bought stuff from him regularly and have recommended him to quite a few people who buy synthetic from him. He gave edge to me for 2300/-.
Does this gentleman also sell Mobil1? If so, may I know what may be the price? I am asking because the best quote for Mobil1 (0W40), what I am getting in Calcutta is four thousand rupees for a 4 litre can. Is it reasonable enough?
Old 14th April 2012, 18:33   #3389
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
He is ill informed or fibbing. I saw a post where someone checked with Maruti and got the A$$ to change the oil pronto.I think the SA and/or his boss are not interested in your business!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 09:26   #3390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Does this gentleman also sell Mobil1? If so, may I know what may be the price? I am asking because the best quote for Mobil1 (0W40), what I am getting in Calcutta is four thousand rupees for a 4 litre can. Is it reasonable enough?
Dont know exact price for Mobil1 0W40 but you can get it for sure for under 3k, may be even for around 26-2700 here in delhi. You can use the search this thread option and get more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks